Plugged water heater vent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugged water heater vent

Today I ran into a problem that might be common for a lot of people on here, but it was the first time I had ever seen it.

After replacing a gas water heater, I fired it up, and noticed how hot it was getting around the flue. So I climbed up on the roof, and the vent cap had somehow slid down and was keeping the vent shut. I secured it open, and everything was good again.

I had personally never seen that before. How often do you guys run into a problem with the water heater vent?

Re: Plugged water heater vent

the old style vent caps were able to do ths when 1 or more factory aluminum rivets broke. the new style won't.

it actually happened at my parents house.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

On every atmospheric gas water heater I install, I always check to see if there's back pressure. Once in awhile I'll run into a situation like you described, and either I or a chimney guy has to get involved to fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
        On every atmospheric gas water heater I install, I always check to see if there's back pressure. Once in awhile I'll run into a situation like you described, and either I or a chimney guy has to get involved to fix the problem.
        Use A butane log lighter, turn up thermo.and watchfor blow back at bonnet ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Name:  5f9b267e5a8bc2153c5d4290ac829eed.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  246.6 KBName:  4c4260de6e03db02144c201b43d77447.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  219.6 KB Yep. I had one winter before last, was not fun getting up to vent cap....you can see it up top there.....way up top there!

Comment

I pulled 3 starlings out of a water heater flue a couple of years ago.It smelled awful.

Comment

Working...
            X