Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work Shoes

Stainless steal bottom sounds good.
    Careful with steal toes though in shop environment, a mishap with a forklift can crush it onto toes and be tough to get loose, at least with your toes still attached.
    Seattle Plumber
    Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/seattleplumbing
    Twitter : http://twitter.com/FoxPH

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Love Redwings as well but after just looking at their website, it would seem all their boots are made in China.
      Not all Ben. I recently bought a piar of Red Wings and they were made here, and I was
      told they are in the process of moving more of their production back to the USA.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

All chime in here. I have been in industrial contracting for over thirty years. Worked in some of the nastiest environments, which not only includes weather, but floor hazards, electrical, chemical etc... I went through a lot of boots in my time until around 1997 when I discovered Timberland Pro boots. I got a promotional letter from the company when they were first introduced with a $100.00 coupon to try the boots.

I bought two pairs thinking they would have the standard life expectancy of all the other boots I have used. I used the first pair at least six days a week, avg. of 10-12 hours per day for a minimum of one year before I made them the required boot in our company. (that first pair lasted me just under five years. The only reason I got rid of them was because the tread finally wore down to the point of no traction. The only issue with the upper was the steel toes were showing through the toe top, yet they were still water proof, go figure.

These boots offer the best bang for the buck features. I have been standing in water when someone dropped a live electrical line on the floor and did not get shocked. Worked on a thirty foot high open air platform on a military base with a raging snow storm and howling winds and my feet never felt the cold. Never had anything ever penetrate the bottom of the boot. Never had water penetrate the boot and I am talking about 4-5" standing water. Spilled nasty acids and alkaline chemicals on the boots and never saw any penetration or damage to the leather. Never had a seam come apart.

Although they are one of the most comfortable boots I have ever owned, regardless of the brand I highly recommend that you pull the sole insert of any boot and toss it. Find yourself a high end sporting goods store or ski shop that does Korks Superfeet orthopedic inserts, (about $100.00)

Superfeet Premium Insoles : Copper DMP : Insoles for all of your footwear and activities. Skiing, hiking, running, soccer and work.

These inserts are custom vacuum formed to your foot, and if you bring your boots in they will custom fit them to the boot at the same time. These inserts last years. My first pair of Korks, was around 1987. My next set was around 1998. My latest pair I had made in 2007.

Here is the complete list of what Timberland offers in there boots, (we require the boots our employees pick to meet all of these)

Guaranteed Waterproof
        Our premium waterproof leathers are sealed at the seams to keep feet dry and deliver the best waterproof protection.

Waterproof Leather
        Waterproof leather has been specially treated to give it waterproof properties, causing liquids to bead up and shed from the surface.
        Leather is 100% water proof.

Electrical Hazard Protection
        Our work boots with electrical hazard protection meet ANSI Z41PT99, ASTM F2412-05 and F2413-05 standards to provide protection from open circuits.

Insulated
        Lightweight, high-lofted, quick-drying, moisture-resistant insulation keeps feet warm in any weather

Steel Toe
        Timberland PRO® work boots stand up to ASTM F2412-05, F2413-05, I/75 and C/75 impact and compression safety standards. They're engineered with a wide-flanged, tempered steel toe cap, providing protection for people in hazardous work environments

Timberland PRO® 24/7 Comfort Suspension™
        The Timberland PRO® 24/7 Comfort Suspension™ technology is a unique comfort system that meets the most rigorous work site demands - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It supports the arch and cushions every step to help to reduce foot fatigue.

Example of one of there many boots.

Timberland - Men's Timberland PRO® Direct Attach 6-Inch Steel Toe

Comment

I'm a boot guy as well.....composite toe boots are awesome and lightweight. I've had a few mishaps with sharp objects stabbing me in the foot with sneakers/tennis shoes on so I'm exclusively wearing boots nowadays.
          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	f8b47991d8113dc0c7ad2abe0654a99c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	14964

I cant spend that much time lacing my boot .. wallyworld 1/2 that high and i still skip eyelets
            I get new ones when i get a hole in em
            Always get yellow soles dont want marks

Comment

I used to wear wolverines. Then decided to go with Doc Martins.
              Their basic boot has a REALLY soft sole and is almost as soft as tennis shoes, but now I wear a pair of water resistant Docs, still comfy as any other boot I have ever wore.

Not sure where they are made, and don't care. Buy what's comfortable for you regardless of where it's made. Make up for it buying domestic pipe!

Comment

Georgia Boots. Comfortable and durable.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                  I cant spend that much time lacing my boot .. wallyworld 1/2 that high and i still skip eyelets
                  I get new ones when i get a hole in em
                  Always get yellow soles dont want marks
                  Them there are speed laces. You just loosen them up enough to take them off and put them on and just pull the laces up tight. No need to unless them.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    Them there are speed laces. You just loosen them up enough to take them off and put them on and just pull the laces up tight. No need to unless them.
                    Hooah.
                    I actually tie a knot in the end of the laces as I never unlace them. Once you put the boot on, pull straight up on the laces to tighten.
                    It was one of the better things they did to improve the combat boot.

Comment

What ever you do DO NOT Waste your $$$ on Columbia boots they are a JOKE !!! these are less than 2 weeks old !!! They have NO Concept of customer service :-(

Comment

Working...
                      X