X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water logged Float on FluidMaster

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
    Rick

We use fluidmasters over here too. I also use Geberit as they have a better lower end rating which is required when dealing with rainwater tank pumps servicing toilets. I too have had water logged fluidmaster floats, swapped out and moved on. I have had valves that look perfect and leaked, only minor. Changed the washer and they still leaked. Swapped them out and moved on too.
    As an observation do you guys all wear gloves when doing this work. Is there a pressing reason or other???????? .
    BTW as said previously just move on guys, not worth the BS. I personally find this forum fantastic as I have said many times before. As old as I am I still keep learning and this is probably the most famous forum for good Tradesmen to come together and share. Leave the egos at the gate and just move on......!!!!!!!!!!!
    i started wearing gloves more and more when i got married. especially when dealing with black rubber tank flappers that will stain your hands for 3 days otherwise.

20 years ago i coached a female homeowner on changing flappers. of course i thought it would be funny to see her reaction when the black goo didn't wash off she almost strangled me.

not to mention i get them by the case, not the box. good to be connected with the emergency room dr. when the expiration date is getting close.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I started wearing them when folks dropped toilet cakes into the tank. That blue hand thing is only mildly humerous for the first day or two.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
        Rick

We use fluidmasters over here too. I also use Geberit as they have a better lower end rating which is required when dealing with rainwater tank pumps servicing toilets. I too have had water logged fluidmaster floats, swapped out and moved on. I have had valves that look perfect and leaked, only minor. Changed the washer and they still leaked. Swapped them out and moved on too.
        As an observation do you guys all wear gloves when doing this work. Is there a pressing reason or other???????? .
        BTW as said previously just move on guys, not worth the BS. I personally find this forum fantastic as I have said many times before. As old as I am I still keep learning and this is probably the most famous forum for good Tradesmen to come together and share. Leave the egos at the gate and just move on......!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes this is very familiar. There is another plumber who likes making youtube video's and controversy, and always wears the blue gloves. This is interesting, Hmmmm.

Comment

I wear gloves to protect my hands/myself. I only have one pair of hands but many pairs of gloves. Transdermal absorbtion can be significant with some chemicals.

Some chemicals can cause systemic problems not only skin issues.

Have a wonderful day down under!!!!!! LOL

Comment

Just had to say.... A float full of water shouldn't float.....the reason the float works is because it's got air in it.
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

while i was on a ballcock replacement call today, adam called just as i was experimenting and taking photos of a current fluidmaster pro45 ballcock. pretty much a 400 sold only at supply houses. the float is the current one being discussed.

this plastic will float due to the specific gravity. while it's true that it can float both assembled and disassembled. it has very little buoyancy and will not lift the extra weight of the cap and arm assembly.

but the truth is the float is designed with a dip tube that would make it almost impossible for it to fill more than 2/3 with water. the dip tube automatically traps the captured air. assuming that the shank is not sticky or scuffed, it will float when full of water to the 2/3 level.

also had a call today at another house with a 5 year old kohler / fluidmaster toilet. the float was down and the tank was empty. nothing was plugged. all i needed to do was cycle the ballcock and it filled. i swapped out the seal since it was old anyways.

rick.

float intact with the water level at the 2/3 full. even holding it submerged letting it fill 100% it still will float.

the 2 halves still float with trapped air by design.

even upside down it barely floats.

but remember a cast iron bathtub will float too if not allowed to get filled with water.

remember that a sticky float or ballcock shank will add the extra resistance to prevent the float cup from lifting the arm and shutting off the water.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-14-2011, 01:18 AM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i started wearing gloves more and more when i got married.

Not wanting to spread girl cooties to your customers? That's very thoughtful and I would never have thought of that myself. (Sorry. Could not resist)

I use 13 mil latex gloves as they stand up to more abuse than the medical type gloves.
                Last edited by geno gardner; 06-14-2011, 05:20 AM.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

All of this shouldn't matter. I've kind of learned of the experience of many here. So if they tell me something I haven't seen, I might have to question it myself. With due respect hopefully as I try to understand it.

Now, I've taken a float and duplicated TheMaster's experiment. Filled it with water, submerged it, and watched it float. Push it down, watch it float back up-still reasonably full of water. However, this experiment appears to be flawed missing all kinds of aqua-dynamics & surface tension vs. weight vs. area. Why?

I put the same float that would float just as TheMaster's did back on the valve, filled with water, and it would not raise the arm. It stayed underwater. Apparently it will remain submerged when waterlogged in the traditional vertical position, but will float on it's side when performing the experiment TheMaster posted. The float I used looks exactly like the one Rick posted with the double drain holes. It IS an older one with the metal adjusting arm and clip though.

See if you can duplicate my results if you care too.

J.C.

Comment

I posted multiple videos showing different ways that the float was filled with water Both with the float off the ballcock and with the float assembled on the valve. It worked every single time.

My working test of a perfectly good fluidmaster with a float filled with water shut the valve off fine. If filling the float would stop a fluidmaster from shutting off then why did mine shut off? Its simple because the float being full of water will not stop it from shutting off.

Sure is hot outside. lol.

Comment

So here's the million dollar question. " Next time you find a waterlogged float, are you going to replace the fill valve or leave it?" Obviously when you run across a waterlogged float it's because the customer called because the toilet won't shut off. Without a doubt this has to be hands down the dumbest thread of all time and deserves an award as such. Perhaps we need a new catagory for nominations. LOL
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        So here's the million dollar question. " Next time you find a waterlogged float, are you going to replace the fill valve or leave it?" Obviously when you run across a waterlogged float it's because the customer called because the toilet won't shut off. Without a doubt this has to be hands down the dumbest thread of all time and deserves an award as such. Perhaps we need a new catagory for nominations. LOL
                        Who started this thread anyway? You have my vote........lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                          I posted multiple videos showing different ways that the float was filled with water Both with the float off the ballcock and with the float assembled on the valve. It worked every single time.

My working test of a perfectly good fluidmaster with a float filled with water shut the valve off fine. If filling the float would stop a fluidmaster from shutting off then why did mine shut off? Its simple because the float being full of water will not stop it from shutting off.

Sure is hot outside. lol.
                          Sure is. And this Fluidmaster float is still underwater. Sure is.

If I go through the trouble to post the video, would you be willing to admit that it can happen, although rarely, and you just haven't ran into one?

J.C.

Comment

Apparently you could not be more wrong. A customer CANNOT call for a waterlogged float where the toilet won't shut off. It cannot happen. It has never happened.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Sure is. And this Fluidmaster float is still underwater. Sure is.

If I go through the trouble to post the video, would you be willing to admit that it can happen, although rarely, and you just haven't ran into one?

J.C.
                              My fluidmaster floats work fine full of water. If you say yours dont then thats fine. I can make a fluidmaster float stay underwater also. I can also make them fly if I throw them.

Comment

The only reason I started this thread was I was told by a forum member that the float can never become water logged.

I just happened onto a job where the float was water logged, I lifted up on the float and the valve turned off, when I let go it went right back down and kept running. Just wanted to prove to the forum member that the floats can become water logged even if he can not make it happen in his own little experiments.
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                Ron's Facebook
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X