Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The lost septic tank

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Whoever installed your tank sucks. You don't put a bunch of rocks over a tank. When putting it in, you're there, have everything open, and equipment to take time and not put rocks on top of it.

No matter how rocky in my opinion.

J.C.
    JC, it's obvious you have better soil where you're from than we do in our area. It doesn't matter what is buried nor how deep, you'll fight rocks every inch of the way here. And I mean solid basalt to start with and broken up in backfill. Ya you can bed things but ultimately your backfill over the bedding will be rocky. We've dug up a lot of "septic tanks" that had just the right feel with the probe and that turned out to be rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
      I understand that position...I really do. BUT over the past 12 years I have saved about 40.00 a month because I have a septic system rather than city sewer. The system is installed in very very sandy soil and has a 1500 gal. tank. I have never done anything to it. I had it installed new for 2,000.00.

A septic system thats abused or not installed proper is the worst thing ever......for example i was considering buying a house to rent out.....I told myself it cant be a house with septic.....too many possible problems. Septic repair is much more expensive around here than a brand new system in virgin ground.

Uuuuuuuhhhhhh- 12 years and nothing ever? You better call a pumper before you do have issues.

Comment

I'll tell my neighbor that too.......his has been down for 24 years and never touched. I was thinking of getting mine checked out but WTH I dont feel like it. lol
        Ya, I know. It's hard to remember. I just know how Murphy's Law works, now that you bragged about not ever having problems you're gonna wake up in the morning and the toilet won't flush, LOL!

Comment

I'll tell my neighbor that too.......his has been down for 24 years and never touched. I was thinking of getting mine checked out but WTH I dont feel like it. lol
          Might work out good for you. It's a gamble with many factors. Water turnover, soil, sun, rain, line footage, age of system blah, blah, blah. Pumped many with "no problems" for 20 years.....then solids start to overcome tank capacity vs. bacterial action and they have to pump. Charge much more for pumping this as it is so thick and time consuming.

And worked on many of the "no problem" for 20 year systems that often means destroying the whole yard and getting into the $$$$.

This area is like yours in that people will always come out way ahead having a private septic system vs. public monetarily. Even with regular maintenance.

J.C.

Comment

Supposed to be filled up w dirt if you abandon it. Its likely been backfilled

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I like that! You're Good ! Definately, a country Boy !

That's known as a GPT (Ground Penetrating Truck).

......Also around here home inspectors are checking the location of the tank to make sure it is where it says it is on the plat before a house is sold.
              Why is that? To determine how close the septic is to the well?
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

Why is that? To determine how close the septic is to the well?
                To make sure someone has not put a replacement tank without a permit, but if you put it in where or close to where the old tank was they can't tell. They have found enough of them installed illegally & incorrectly that a good inspector now checks when inspecting the system. The last one I replaced for a bank owned property had the dry well 5 ft. from the well & yes it failed the water test too. Too much bacteria & nirates imagine that. Pay me today or pay me tomorrow I don't care, but one day you are going to pay me to do it right.

Comment

If you can find the tanks old inlet or outlet lines. providing they are still there, u could use a sonde.

Comment

Working...
                  X