X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lost septic tank

If a house had converted over to city sewer and abandoned their septic tank but forgot the location....how would someone find the old tank?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: The lost septic tank

usually with the wheels of a moving truck.

is the ground soft enough to use a probe?
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have had people that had no idea where their tank was and had a blocked line. I just used a metal detector to locate the re-bar used in the old concrete tanks. If it is plastic, sorry wont help none.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

One more thing that I have seen is Ground Penetrating Radar Radiodetection - Products - Cable and Pipe Locators - Precision Locate - RD1000
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That sounds like that would be one mess to deal with if some municipality were to find out about an abandoned tank. Are there laws/regulations concerning this just like abandoned wells? I am curious if they even bothered having it pumped, or left it full?
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

1st I would try going to the county & get a copy of the plat it should be on there. If it is not I would try to figure out where the old sewer exited the building & work from there. If the basement is not a walk out basement & the the sewer exited the floor the tank could be as deep as 8 ft. good luck finding it if is. Around here in order for it to pass insp. when you hook up to city sewer you have to either remove the tank or beat the top in & fill the tank with fill. Also around here home inspectors are checking the location of the tank to make sure it is where it says it is on the plat before a house is sold.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              usually with the wheels of a moving truck.

is the ground soft enough to use a probe?
              I like that! You're Good ! Definately, a country Boy !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Back east. my older cousin [ Cape Cod, all Sand, circa late 50s] Hand dug, then laid Bee hive individual block kit. Poured concrete cap W. cover. Metal probe. would find cover. Suggestion Gear!! Find Elder Gentleman in the Hood. The remember a lot of old build. History. And It will give Him pleasure to meet You! Serving our Country, and community ! Ain't a lot of that any More. P.s. 90 Year old Man talked of building redwood septic tanks in Marin
                County many years ago.
                Last edited by toolaholic; 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Depending on your jurisdiction, it may fall under department of health and THEY have the plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul GA View Post
                    Depending on your jurisdiction, it may fall under department of health and THEY have the plans.
                    The plans sometimes are not redlined, or as built, but a suggestion on where they want to put the tank. What the plans say and reality are sometimes two different things. I would check with the local septic pumping companies, at one point or another one of them was there to do service and will have a map.

Comment

Pops has been pumping close to 40 years.

Destroyed tanks and replaced as required & inspected.

Disconnected, removed or destroyed tanks, & hooked to city sewer and inspected.

Always found with simple probe.

J.C.

Comment

We tried locating our tank with a probe, too many dagum rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                          We tried locating our tank with a probe, too many dagum rocks!
                          Whoever installed your tank sucks. You don't put a bunch of rocks over a tank. When putting it in, you're there, have everything open, and equipment to take time and not put rocks on top of it.

No matter how rocky in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

We have a lot of area's around me that have septic tanks.

I personally wouldn't want one, but certainly understand the need for one.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              I have had people that had no idea where their tank was and had a blocked line. I just used a metal detector to locate the re-bar used in the old concrete tanks. If it is plastic, sorry wont help none.
                              simple brilliance! You've got a great Dad! We are afather x Son also. Brian pasm past Me in many ways and I,m learning from him now. tanks tool .

Comment

Working...
                              X