Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when you think you have seen it all....

Had an interesting project today. Doing a TI project on a home built in the 1930s in the Los Angeles area. One of the tasks was to convert the old tub into a shower. So i open up the wall, and of course it is plaster and wire. The cavity of the wall itself was filled with dirt. This is an interior wall and above grade. They built all the walls in this house with dirt as an " insulation" barrier? Just curious if anyone else has seen this. There also seems to be no structural members vertically. it is the most bizarre thing i have seen in a while. I have no idea how they built the wall.

Re: Just when you think you have seen it all....

Originally posted by NATEthePLUMBER View Post
    Had an interesting project today. Doing a TI project on a home built in the 1930s in the Los Angeles area. One of the tasks was to convert the old tub into a shower. So i open up the wall, and of course it is plaster and wire. The cavity of the wall itself was filled with dirt. This is an interior wall and above grade. They built all the walls in this house with dirt as an " insulation" barrier? Just curious if anyone else has seen this. There also seems to be no structural members vertically. it is the most bizarre thing i have seen in a while. I have no idea how they built the wall.
    I've seen dirt and newspaper inside walls on older homes before.

Comment

yes I have seen houses with dirt for insulaiton in the walls, and lots of new paper as well, one of the houses my mother grew up in had dirt in the walls,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

pictures if you're going back would be great.

welcome to the forum nate

where in l.a. was it?

do i know you

the gang is going to lunch / dinner on saturday for a plumbers get together. you're invited if you can make it at 3 in glendale. should be 6 plumbers and the wives/ g.f. or solo

leave a message here and we will fill you in.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Were they adobe walls plastered over?

Opening up those walls at the base and sometimes dirt will come pouring out.

Comment

Working...
          X