X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• instslling a new water softener

I am installing a new water softener for a friend actualy its one of my brothers solders who is serving over seas with him now and they had a new artesion well dug and now they are having a problem with iron in water questions is a water softener the best thing and if so why is it bad to pipe discharge into drain with septic i can only spequlate im asking for facts thats why Im asking u my brothers here please any help will be apreatiated
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Re: instslling a new water softener

A water softener to my knowledge with not help with iron...you have to get a specific filtering set up for iron...but then a softener after that is good to have still...and I don't know any side effects to discharge into a good, functional septic system....
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
      I am installing a new water softener for a friend actualy its one of my brothers solders who is serving over seas with him now and they had a new artesion well dug and now they are having a problem with iron in water questions is a water softener the best thing and if so why is it bad to pipe discharge into drain with septic i can only spequlate im asking for facts thats why Im asking u my brothers here please any help will be apreatiated
      I'm no expert either. My understanding though is it depends on the type of iron and the concentration as to what has to be installed to correct/remove it.

Example: Bacterial Iron will be treated differently than Suspended Iron.

I'd say have the water tested. Simply putting a softener on may not do much.

The health department inspectors here have said NOT to discharge softeners into a septic tank.

J.C.

Comment

Water softeners will not affect anything with a septic system, as independent studies proved those claims false.

As far as the iron goes, a water softener will treat some of the iron problem, but not all. The use of a special "greensand" filters to go along with the water softener will help a great deal.

I think first you should have the water tested to see exactly what you're dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          Water softeners will not affect anything with a septic system, as independent studies proved those claims false.

As far as the iron goes, a water softener will treat some of the iron problem, but not all. The use of a special "greensand" filters to go along with the water softener will help a great deal.

I think first you should have the water tested to see exactly what you're dealing with.
          I have been told so many things I don't know what to believe anymore regarding where to put softener discharge. Been told:

No effect on septic.
          Sodium has negative effect on good bacteria.
          Sodium has no effect on good bacteria.
          Etc. etc. etc. Back and forth.

Can anyone show defined proof that it is ok to put into a septic system? It would help me on some installs.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I have a septic tank...looks normal with my softener....its just brine water....not like its acid or anything...

What is greensand??
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I have been told so many things I don't know what to believe anymore regarding where to put softener discharge. Been told:

No effect on septic.
              Sodium has negative effect on good bacteria.
              Sodium has no effect on good bacteria.
              Etc. etc. etc. Back and forth.

Can anyone show defined proof that it is ok to put into a septic system? It would help me on some installs.

Thanks.

J.C.
              Water Quality Association

Plus my dealer has schooled us on the same issues. I was always under the impression that soft water harms septics, and we have been installing them on septics for years with no problems.

Comment

There is some evidence that says the discharge is actually beneficial to a septic system

A good softener can remove up to 8ppm of iron but...... you should backwash using Iron Out a few times a year to keep the resin clean.
                sigpic

Comment

Here in MD there is a big push for the use of nitrogen reducing septic tanks. The state will even pay for them if you qualify. The state is eventually going to only allow nitrogen reducing septic tanks to be installed. The state is doing a lot of testing on the ones that have been installed. All of the tanks that have the water softner discharge discharging into the tank have failed the tests. Also Norweco will void the warranty on there Singular TNT system if the water softner discharge discharges into the tank. On every install that I have bid on for state owned property under scope of work there has been a line item for changing the water softner discharge line from the septic system to some other specified place.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                    Here in MD there is a big push for the use of nitrogen reducing septic tanks. The state will even pay for them if you qualify. The state is eventually going to only allow nitrogen reducing septic tanks to be installed. The state is doing a lot of testing on the ones that have been installed. All of the tanks that have the water softner discharge discharging into the tank have failed the tests. Also Norweco will void the warranty on there Singular TNT system if the water softner discharge discharges into the tank. On every install that I have bid on for state owned property under scope of work there has been a line item for changing the water softner discharge line from the septic system to some other specified place.
                    Here in Pa, if you have a septic system, you most likely have a well as well. If a state doesn't want a water softener discharging into a septic system, where is it supposed to go? In the back of the yard is the septic system and leaching field, and in the front of the yard is the well.

If the person had the room... a "dry well" might work, but what is a person supposed to do...you know? I'm not 100% sure, but I think above ground sand mounds are law now in some area's of my state...I might have that all wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      Here in Pa, if you have a septic system, you most likely have a well as well. If a state doesn't want a water softener discharging into a septic system, where is it supposed to go? In the back of the yard is the septic system and leaching field, and in the front of the yard is the well.

If the person had the room... a "dry well" might work, but what is a person supposed to do...you know? I'm not 100% sure, but I think above ground sand mounds are law now in some area's of my state...I might have that all wrong.
                      They don't want you discharge into the tank you can discharge anywhere except near the well. I take my Bobcat & auger a 3ft. hole, run my discharge line to it, & backfill with stone. I've seen some companies just run the discharge line out the foundation above grade & let it run on the ground. Don't be surprise if PA starts wanting nitrogen reducing tanks. I had to go to Gettysburg a while back & start up a Norweco Singular system, because the new owner bought a foreclosed home & could not find anyone who knew how to turn it back on.

Comment

I'm no expert, either, but I have a Water Boss softener and it discharges in my septic. I have it in operation for 19 years and no ill effects on my system. I have 7 ppm iron and it takes it out just fine. I do have a regular maintenance system on my septic.

Comment

thx all I realy do greatly app. the help she had the water tested Im waiting for her to get me the results should be soon I will post it when I get the results
                          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                          X