Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with newer American water heaters?

I just installed a new water heater at home last week and it worked fine until the next morning when there was no hot water. Pilot remained lit but the gas valve wouldn't open and it was blinking some error code at me. I didn't care too much to figure out the problem since it was under warranty and because I was busy with other jobs. Tech came out from American on Monday (was installed Friday and kept having to be reset and relit), replaced something and now it works fine.

I wasn't here when the tech came out and my brother didn't think to ask any questions but apparently the guy knew eactly what was going on without even having to see the diagnostic code. Soooo, I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem with these new heaters? Anyone know anything about this?
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Problem with newer American water heaters?

I've been avoiding american water heaters for a long while now. parts are hard to come by in our area, and the whole left hand thermocouple deal was just ridiculous.
    as for your situation, did it have a honeywell valve on it? I'm really curious to see how those are going to work out as bradford uses one as well.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Not the same as Bradford White. Other companies are now copying Bradford Whites control valves. Never had a problem with Bradfords, ever. Bradford White warned about this in their new ad in PM magazine. Live and learn and stick with the best I say.

Comment

only problem i've had with the bradford valve is the flare nut at the base of the valve having a slight leak. other than that, fantastic all around.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I agree. I had a few problems with American Water Heaters a few years ago and will not use them anymore. Even the packaging looked cheap on them. It would just say "water heater" on the side.

FYI, American is part of the A.O. Smith/State conglomerate. I still use A.O. Smith or State for commercial heaters, but not for residential. Bradford-White has the best controls of all of them. I've installed a few with the Icon system that has accessories like the automatic shut-off solenoid valve too. The controls on the first American Heaters with the sealed combustion/automatic ignition were garbage and apparently still are.

If I could actually get a Rheem branded heater at a plumbing supply house near me, I'd probably use them but ever since Rheem went into bed with HD and the other big box stores, the local distributors have abandoned them. HVAC houses (like Ferguson's Park Supply) carry them but they are usually 10-15% more than a Bradford.

Comment

After having the troubles with my water heater and a few others in the past few years, I think I'm making the switch to Bradford White. Knowing my luck, I'll end up getting the only 3 defective units off the line in one year....lol
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
            X