Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoeller Utility pits and studor vents

Drain Pump 104, 105, 110, 115, 120, 131, 132 | Zoeller Pump Company

I am in IPC land ..Can you vent these with studor vents..Thanks

Ooops ..Just read the caution #3 No auto vents ..Must be vented...That sucks
    Last edited by OLD1; 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Zoeller Utility pits and studor vents

Here is the problem I have with the code as far as back venting goes with basement fixtures.

Where I live is mostly 2 story homes in the $500,000 range and up. These people are finishing their basements like crazy around here, but yet I haven't seen any Plumber in my area back vent the proper way from the basement. Telling a home owner drywall has to be ripped out from the first floor all the way up to the attic, will surely get you thrown out of the house and a job lost. Homeowners around here don't want to hear about the Plumbing code..the bottom line dollar wise is much more important to them, and they WILL find someone to rough-in the venting illegally code wise.

Think about it for a minute...why does the Plumbing code tell us to back vent 6" above the highest fixture? I understand the reasoning behind it but, who in their right mind is going to have their entire Plumbing system backed up all the way to the second floor of their home? I've never seen it done in my career, and if anything, it's more important when it comes to Commercial Plumbing than residential.

Everyone here knows we have Lawn vents here in Pa. Within hours you will know if your main drain is blocked, as it will spill out all over the lawn.

With that said, when it comes to bathrooms in the basement we only back vent from the basement to 6" above the highest fixture on 1 story homes only.

With 2 story homes, I vent right back into the main line...we don't use studors in that situation.

I guess I am a hack, but then again, who in their right mind let's raw sewage build up from the street to the second floor of their home?

When we did new work, we automatically installed a vent from the basement through the roof for future use. I don't see any new construction Plumbers doing that today..unless it's for radon.
    Last edited by Flux; 06-23-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Yep but the manufacturer specs . often superceed the local code..In this case Zoeller says no air admittance valves aka studor vents ..F'n bullshi* ...Often you can run a vent outdoors via exterior wall etc...Venting pits should be no different in my opinion..Years ago when we installed sewage ejector pits the code made us run a seperate vent from the pit though the roof.WHY ??? well they considered it a seperate system all together..Again total bullshi*..Then the code officials said well it's ok to tie back into the house venting system.basement bath vent etc. ..After all most of the time it's right there...Again total bullshi* Sorry had to vent

Comment

Yeah I know you have to vent...did you run it out thru the roof or studor vent it...( your frustration as it were)...lol...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

as I recall that particular code requires a separate vent through the roof for the lift station.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

So when the level of the basin raises... where is the air supposed to be displaced to if you only have a half-*** vent and not a real one?

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
              Yeah I know you have to vent...did you run it out thru the roof or studor vent it...( your frustration as it were)...lol...
              Good one DC..

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                So when the level of the basin raises... where is the air supposed to be displaced to if you only have a half-*** vent and not a real one?
                Well thats when hopefully the pump kicks on....right

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  Well thats when hopefully the pump kicks on....right
                  In a perfect world yes...

Comment

Well then I must be a glass half full kinda guy

Comment

The IPC says you can if it is an engineered design and guess what. If you check Studor's site you will find an engineered drawing
                      sigpic

Comment

i second NHMASTER ....check with studor they have an engineered drawing that is approved for use. I have done a few of them at first there a bit trickey to figure out, but its all easy.

make sure your state approves of the engineered drawing some dont.

Comment

Working...
                        X