X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor freight 1/2 H.P. Transfer pump

Well I got it working. Problem is, it delivers about 7 Gal. per minute,instead of 25!
    I'm using a washing machine hose. trouble ,brass necks down to 3/8"
    Should I make an 8 ' long 3/4" I.D. hose ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Harbor freight 1/2 H.P. Transfer pump

Or buy a real pump
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

imo...you have to watch what you buy from harbor freight.

Comment

i feel your frustration im a service plumber up in calgary, alberta. but a better question is .... how do u measure flow, it says 9gpm or whatever, but we dont have anything accurate to tell us what its acutally doing with friction loss from fitting etc. right.....balancing is a big problem with all pumped systems. and engineers have so much other **** to worry about its up to us to fix or change things right .... anyone here a pro a balancing ?? is there some fancy too that u just screw into a well or a fitting to measure GPM...or is it just something ****en easy that i just havent learn yet

anyways, cheers

P.S - what do electricians and clouds have in common ?? --- when they go away its ****en nice

Comment

It filled a 5 gal. drywall bucket in 7 minute. That was My measure. Thanks all.
          Last edited by toolaholic; 06-25-2011, 12:01 PM. Reason: DUMB IRISHMAN !!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by AnakinPipewalker View Post
            i feel your frustration im a service plumber up in calgary, alberta. but a better question is .... how do u measure flow, it says 9gpm or whatever, but we dont have anything accurate to tell us what its acutally doing with friction loss from fitting etc. right.....balancing is a big problem with all pumped systems. and engineers have so much other **** to worry about its up to us to fix or change things right .... anyone here a pro a balancing ?? is there some fancy too that u just screw into a well or a fitting to measure GPM...or is it just something ****en easy that i just havent learn yet

anyways, cheers

P.S - what do electricians and clouds have in common ?? --- when they go away its ****en nice

There are many ways to measure flow, but not many that are easy to implement for taking a quick measurement.
            Most require installation in the line, but if you have a pickup load of moeny you can get a ultrasonic flow transmitter
            that mounts on the outside of the pipe with a pair of transducers. A signal is transmittered from one to the other and
            the affect of the flowing process fluid can be measured. Not sonething you can set up in a minute or two and you need
            to input a bunch of variables into the computer; stuff like pipe od, wall thickness, material, process fluid specific gravity.
            Other methods:
            Inline rotometers or flowmeters (same principle as you domestic water meter)
            DP transmitters
            Orifice plate between tapped flanged with a pair of calibrated pressure gauges and you do some math.
            There are more, none are inexpensive or quick to setup.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

kevin, you need a heavy duty thick rubber inlet hose to prevent the hose from getting sucked closed. i use a 5' section of red goodyear 300 psi hose 3/4'' id. when the water is still hot the rubber softens and normal hose will collapse closed.

always install the pump close to the heater and then just about any discharge hose will work as the positive pressure will keep it open.

the other issue is the heaters hose bibb not flowing properly or full of junk. always try to pressure flush the heater first. meaning turning on the hosebibb before you shut off the cold water. this will help to flush out the sludge and grit. also make sure to open the relief valve or the tank inlets to prevent an air lock while pumping.

now if you really want to see water being pumped, watch my 3'' gas pump out a pool in under 2 hours on high idle.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

It filled a 5 gal. drywall bucket in 7 seconds. That was My measure. Thanks all.
                That's almost 43 gallons per minute. How the heck did you do that with a 3/8" hose?
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Opps changed it to minutes thanks !!

Comment

Opps changed it to minutes thanks !!
                    OK, big difference. That's because of the small hose. You need to go up to at least 1" on the suction. 1-1/4" would be better yet.

Hurry up though, your warranty on that Harbor Freight pump is almost up.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X