X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons why I fired you

You mean I can't come in 10 minutes late every day, bum a cigarette off of you and ask for my check three days early? You object if I take two hours to get coffee and have to leave an hour early to play softball. I should take the ziti out of my ears and the nails from my lips and eyebrows. Next I suppose you will want me to get rid of the Nazi tatoo on my forehead. There is no way in hell though that I'm leaving my bag of weed and pipe at home, I just can't get through the day without getting high. You don't want to hear about my home problems and how my live in crack whore is sleeping with half the apartment building? or that child services want's to put me in jail for non payment of child support. Hey buddy, can you come by and bail me out please? It's ok that I lost my drivers license too isn't it? You can bring me to the site and pick me up. You should give me a raise because I does good work and I been here almost two weeks now.

In 30 years or so I have heard or seen every one of the above.
    sigpic

Re: Reasons why I fired you

Had a guy get into an accident with my van while working on a side job, during the day and then he get's pissed at me for firing him. LOL
    sigpic

Comment

Guy misses 1-2 days a week asks for raise. I say when learn to work 5 days a week we will talk, because if you won't give yourself a raise why should I. Guy is always complaining he can make more money somewhere else. I say you seem to be having a problem making a decision, so let me help you are FIRED. My Aunt calls to ask why I fired my 30 year old Cousin. I say because you rised him to be a no good, sponging, lazy Moma's boy & he is not sponging off me now go cook his dinner. Which reminds me thank you dad for making me work 12+ hours 7 days aweek when I was not in school. It kept me out of trouble, put a lot of money in the bank & I learned more by 16 than most learn in a lifetime.

Comment

When we did "new work", my fathered encouraged his employees to do side work. It bit him in the a$$ in the end with one of the employees (stealing & leaving the job to do his jobs), but he has no regrets, because it made them better Plumbers.

Comment

we don't fire people. they fire themselves. breid.............

Comment

I got fired once, the boss was getting irritated that the customers (on occasion) would complain that I spent too much time putting down plastic and masking things off, or would complain about something I installed or the material I used. Most of the time when the latter would happen, it was how we always did things, and the stuff we always used.. The boss had learned many times that skipping the extra prep work saves a dollar, but that money gets flushed the one time somebody drops a chisel on a hardwood floor or spills something on a finished surface that wasn't covered. I still got fired (after like 3 years LOL). I also would get chewed out for making HUGE punch lists in homes of picky customers. He would rip me a new ***, list discarded(customer seeing/hearing none of this) then the customer would rip his *** for her home not being finished to perfection. We get a list that is a million times worse than mine.

I would make real mistakes on occasion, either interpreting the bosses instructions incorrectly, or damaging something, but the boss screwed up maybe 2/3rds of the time that I did, and he had 30 years more experience on me. We did kitchen and bath remodels mostly.

How am I for a bad employee that needs to be fired?
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

There are those who we need to disassociate ourselves from. They are a pox on us. But, what about those who are good people, but don't get it, no matter how we cut it and chew it for them. Like you, I have no problem cutting dead weight. However, what do you do when you have a nice person (with a family) who is trying, but just doesn't understand? In this economy, one does not need a ball and chain, but I can't help feeling like I'm taking sustenance from a babe. Being the boss fun, fun, fun.

Comment

got one u guys have never heard. I wont get into much detail cause the fbi was involved.

My dad has a 20yr old apprentice that asks for more money every week, is usually high on weed daily too.

the kid starts to intimidate innocent people and extort money on the side, some of this going on via text messaging while dad and kid are driving to job sites.
                one day the kid says lets go eat lunch at burgerking. Parked in the parking lot the kid says he'll run in and get the food and come back out.

20 mins later the kid comes out cuffed by 2 fbi agents. He was supposed to meet a victim that flew in from another state to come and pay extortion money.

the kid is my nephew and doing 5 yrs in jail.

I guess he wasnt fired but got himself fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  There are those who we need to disassociate ourselves from. They are a pox on us. But, what about those who are good people, but don't get it, no matter how we cut it and chew it for them. Like you, I have no problem cutting dead weight. However, what do you do when you have a nice person (with a family) who is trying, but just doesn't understand? In this economy, one does not need a ball and chain, but I can't help feeling like I'm taking sustenance from a babe. Being the boss fun, fun, fun.
                  Never Never Never hire family
                  sigpic

Comment

I need to leave work early today to make up for coming in late.

Comment

this came as a Email but I enjoyed it,

WAL-MART SENIOR GREETER
                      You just have to appreciate this one. Young people forget that we old people had a career before we retired......

Charley, a new retiree-greeter at Wal-Mart, just couldn't seem to get to work on time.
                      Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy, clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating their "Older Person Friendly" policies.
                      One day the boss called him into the office for a talk.
                      "Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang-up job when you finally get here; but your being late so often is quite bothersome."
                      "Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it."
                      "Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear.”
                      “Yes sir, I understand your concern and I’ll try harder.”
                      Seeming puzzled, the manager went on to comment, “It's odd though your coming in late. I know you're retired from the Armed Forces. What did they say to you there if you showed up in the morning so late and so often?"
                      The old man looked down at the floor, then smiled.
                      He chuckled quietly, then said with a grin, "They usually saluted and said, ‘Good morning, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir?’”
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

When I bought the shop, I gave all the employees a raise on the first day and added health insurance that I paid for 100%.

I used to let the employees work on their own engines in the shop after hours. I sold them parts at my cost and ate the supplies, such as honing stones, argon gas, etc. No one really abused the priveledge. It costs a lot to keep a shop powered up, but I figured it was a perk I could offer to retain the employees, all of whom were car guys.

One of them started rebuilding his aluminum head. It was a mess, should have been scrapped. He started coasting during the day, so he would have the energy to work until 9pm on his project. He emptied the argon bottle welding up the cracks, and then emptied the spare! Didn't even bother to tell me. I found out when I tried to TIG up a head for a paying Customer. Customer was not happy when we were late with his job.

So after three weeks of this, I told him that he could finish his *)&^ head, but that was it, no more home projects in the shop.

After he finished the head, he comes in and wants to work 3 days a week, so he can train for another job somewhere else the other 2 days but still keep his medical insurance, which I paid for 100%.

Gave him all 5 days off. I wouldn't have believed it before I owned a business, but unfortunately there are people that you can treat too well.

Comment

I have never fired anyone before. I always gave guys a one day trial to see how well we would work together and at the end of the day tell them I don't have any more work for them...

Comment

the boss at my place never fired any one if he did not want them any more he made them work with me and he said to me if he quits thats fine with me . it took about three days at first and then two day ,the fastest one was 3 1/2 hr he went out to get something to eat for break and never came back .i have not gotten any faster then that
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Im the first to admit im young im new at the hole work, career, trade and even to life. I can say with great pride iv never been fired and i can also relate with everything your saying especially with alot of the younger people getting into trades. My last year of school there was maybe 4 people out of 26 that if i was the boss i wouldnt of fired it all comes down to ATTITUDE and tthats really missing from soceity these days iv roofed houses with junkies crack heads and of course theives i worked reshore on the calgary courthouses with losers abusers and newfy's "Newfy's beeing gold not a pun hardest working guys in canada" but crazy as hell. Ive plumbed beside the worst "AS A FIRST YEAR APPRENTICE" with constant qoutes like GOOD ENOUGH, I cant see it from my house and other pathetic bull **** excused for there in ability to care about what they were doing. It made me sick and what made me sicker was the foreman new that and tolerated it. "MOSTLY CONDOS" im now a journeyman took over the company from my mentor, my sponsor and more then anything one of my biggest role models in life not just the trade he'd been plumbinga nd pipe fitting from the age of 17 hes now 66 in august i learned everything i pride my self in from him "With the exception of my parents and family" but there really are a lot of los individuals that cant grab a opportuinty if its buried up there nose.. im kinda ranting here my point is we haVE one of the best professions in the world especially if you can do it and earn a honesT LIVING im so proud to be plumber and no one will ever take my trade away from me i strive to do my best to do the job the safest and most affortable way to do the job right. Im my own boss i cant tell my self excuses i cant steal from my self and i wont.. I know most of my competion i phone a few of them to ask opions i worn them of customers that try not to pay and i pride the fact were all doing a job that needs to be done. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID JOB, JUST STUPID FU##ING PEOPLE"

Comment

Working...
                              X