Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your worst employee story

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
    And this is why I will stay a one man show as long as possible, If I need an extra welder for a day my Brother is just a phone call away.

This is way off topic but hell I started the thread so I get to do what I want LOL.

You are a professional welder. Tell me if you have heard of or seen mig welding aluminum without any shielding gas whatsoever? I ask because I was recently at a trailer fabrication shop up north and they weld aluminum all day long using a Millermatic Mig and no gas at all. I was dumbfounded. Never even thought of trying it but the shop foreman says it works fine and even demonstrated it.
    sigpic

Comment

It's not about behavior. It's about character. As in, "stress doesn't built it, it reveals it". You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You can tell stories until you are blue in the face. But, they've either got it or they don't. And, why is someone who obviously has gotten it from the get go asking such a silly question. The real question is, how do we immediately separate the wheat from the chaff and dispense with all the calisthenics?

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        This is way off topic but hell I started the thread so I get to do what I want LOL.

You are a professional welder. Tell me if you have heard of or seen mig welding aluminum without any shielding gas whatsoever? I ask because I was recently at a trailer fabrication shop up north and they weld aluminum all day long using a Millermatic Mig and no gas at all. I was dumbfounded. Never even thought of trying it but the shop foreman says it works fine and even demonstrated it.
        I call bull$hit, even if you could get it to run it would be bird $hit at best. I have to see it to believe it, what trailer shop?

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
          I call bull$hit, even if you could get it to run it would be bird $hit at best. I have to see it to believe it, what trailer shop?
          I also have Cert papers. Need argon! More like TURKEY $HIT !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

" Firing, is a great tool! " From a book by Ross Perot
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I also have Cert papers. Need argon! More like TURKEY $HIT !

I would agree if I hadn't watched them do it and seen the weld. Sooooooo.... after a few more days off I'm going into my shop and give it a try
              sigpic

Comment

New guy showed up,sent by the hall,said his name was ******,also mentioned that he wasn't a very good plumber and then added that he was a 6th year apprentice (our program was 4 years at the time).he didn't last very wrong.
                Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

we had a guy "from an employment agency, lol" Showed up on his first day, we handed him a shovel, he looked at it, handed it back, and called his wife to come pick him up.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

You guys make me very thankful for my great employee.. Great attitude, hard worker, appreciative, friendly, smart, fast learner, etc... All my former guys just didn't impress me at all...

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      I would agree if I hadn't watched them do it and seen the weld. Sooooooo.... after a few more days off I'm going into my shop and give it a try
                      I spent time, to teach My son in Law [Seattle plumber], and Son to run decent welds with My Mig. Do this with Your students! After they're confident,and making good passes, In the middle of their run,TURN THE SHIELDING GAS OFF! Then I say"" did You forget all ,I taught You!" Good for a laugh,and good teaching! I have come back from lunch ,Myself, and ran some turkey Poop, Gas shut off, You dummy!
                      Last edited by toolaholic; 07-08-2011, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Yep, the turning point in any welders career is when the learn to recognize what is happening and correct the situation immediatly. I have seen Bozo's run 3' of crap bead before they finally decided to stop and find out what was wrong. Get out the grinder boys.
                        sigpic

Comment

As a Pile buck welder ,I was fabing 450 linial feet of 3ft.wide flange 1 1/2" thick flanges ,stiffeners and many 1 1/2"x 4ft x 4ft. plates for 36" pipe. This all goes in the excavation so the Hi rise next to the job doesn't fall in our hole! Every weld U.TD
                          by Hales testing. Scope shows ONE weld has porosity. Take carbon arc start scarfing back and forth. find one tiny needle size tiny hole. Me to Inspector." Wow ,thank God You picked this up Rocky!" Inspector back " thanks kevin, now I don't feel bad for busting your weld,SMART AZZ.

Comment

It is even more fun when the X-ray truck is sitting under your lift waiting for you to finish. Those boys snap the pix before you get all the slag off.

Comment

All My drinking Buddy's were out of Iron Workers Local 377 S.F. One welder pusher would do this.Have one of His welders do a slag pass after the root. Start the inspector, in the corner next to this one. Bingo second weld fails the U.T.! Now He's happy,and will back off on anything Marginal. How do You spot an Iron worker! By His 54" chest ,and the American Bridge Hat, size 3

Comment

Working...
                              X