X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your worst employee story

Let em out here. I want to collect the best of the best for next years plumbing classes in hopes that perhaps I can head some of this behavior off at the pass.
    sigpic

Re: Your worst employee story

Since you're in a position to influence the young bucks coming up in this trade, I think a good piece of advice to tell them is to work hard, as hard work pays off in the end. Some where a long the line that concept got lost, and it's all about what they "think" they are entitled too.

Not just in the Plumbing trade, but in any business, they are not entitled to make more than the boss. I believe that mentality leads to heartaches for the business owner, as I saw my father go through it with one employee he had.

I also think it should be stressed to "protect" the trade, and to take your time and the the job right! Installation practices speaks volumes about the type of person you are in real life.

Comment

I try to spend a lot of time on "job skills" things like showing up on time. Working a full day. Not being a dick
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        I try to spend a lot of time on "job skills" things like showing up on time. Working a full day. Not being a dick
        Fortunately, there are millions of teachers like you focusing on jobs skills, but "ethics" of being a Professional are sorely missing.

Comment

this is a generation of instant gratificators (is that a word?)

kids need more money now! get credit now! they hear too much stories of overnight millionaires and think they will be the next one.

sometimes the biggest teacher is experience. When I was a teenager well into my 20's you could not get me to help my dad out on his plumbing jobs. Im 35 now and have been following him the past 2 years and learning diligently. I see the potential of making big money running your own plumbing biz, im working toward starting my own plumbing company in a few years after getting licensed.

Comment

Originally posted by dhdc View Post
            this is a generation of instant gratificators (is that a word?)

kids need more money now! get credit now! they hear too much stories of overnight millionaires and think they will be the next one.

sometimes the biggest teacher is experience. When I was a teenager well into my 20's you could not get me to help my dad out on his plumbing jobs. Im 35 now and have been following him the past 2 years and learning diligently. I see the potential of making big money running your own plumbing biz, im working toward starting my own plumbing company in a few years after getting licensed.
            The youngsters coming up in the trade today know nothing about the history of Plumbing, and what a sacred trade it was back in the day. Guys back then didn't have "visions" and all of a sudden wake up one day and they were Plumbers like we see today. You had to know someone, and it was a gift and a privilege to be taught the Plumbing trade. I'm thankful everyday that my father gave me this gift, and I've been paying my dues to the trade for over 20 years.

Comment

' The Chinese Say" All the Men working together,can level any Mountain, Change the course of any River! But can not change
              one Man's attitude! I say "When ever possible,Hire for attitude,Train for skill"
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                ' The Chinese Say" All the Men working together,can level any Mountain, Change the course of any River! But can not change
                one Man's attitude! I say "When ever possible,Hire for attitude,Train for skill"
                Thanks, I just hired my first employee. He has great work ethic and has a great attitude. I do mainly condo remodels and residential & commercial service work, I also do some new homes but its not my focus. My new employee however is versed in commercial new construction and commercial services work. I mostly service high end homes and restaurants so I am very anal about cleanliness among other things. Like not bolting together the 2-piece toilet in the hallway of the restaurant but in the restroom we are working in regardless if the restaurant was not open. But I think I can train him in these aspects.
                Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Just 2 quickie's cause i could sit here all day and write
                  1- hire new guy with great recommendation from supply house. I take him all expenses paid to california for training come home i leave to go on vacation whiole my partner runs shop . Partners calls me says we can't get ahold of tom do you know where he is? I finally get in touch with him and he says he is going partners with his old boss doesn't want to work for us anymore. Ok whatever. Kinda funny we can't find that new jackhammer i just bought before we went to cali. Tom's girlfreind calls me says tom knows where your jackhammer is and he needs $500 to get it for you. I say no problem bring it by the house i'll give you $500 cash. He shows up as i wipe out my checkbook my wife snaps a pic of my "stolen" jackhammer on his truck . I proceed to write in the check memo for return of stolen jackhammer. Tom looks at check says just keep your hammer and leaves. Funny thing is 2 weeks later he calls me and asks if i have any work i want tp sub out to him.
                  2- hired a guy with a marine corps background on his resume. Very sharp dresser thought he would be a great employee.give him a truck to take home he says no problem can park it in front of his house. Monday morning he calls says truck was robbed overnight at gas station. Apparently hoa wouldn't let him keep it at home.ok i say file police report and come to shop we will loan you tools. Give him my personal hand tools. Tuesday morning no answer to numerous phone and radio calls. No problem i'll check the tracker. My partner and i go to collect the truck. Truck is moving so it becomes a miami vice like scene with the tracking company giving us live driving directions to catch up with him. Well we do catch him he jumps out of truck and runs. Well now we have the truck in our sight but not sure what we will find. Call police wait for hours for them to show and finally we get into truck . No tools but we find a pawn receipt , great we will just go get our tools , not so fast says the pawn shop owner you need to buy your tools out of pawn . No problem here is my credit card. Sorry no credit cards cash only. Run to bank and spend $500 to buy my "stolen" tools out of pawn.

I got a hundred of them those are just a few.
                  P.s also had a woman plumber worked for me . Very good hard working lady but she was a worse skirt chaser then the guys who worked for me

Comment

59. you file charges on any of this? if i was you i think i'd let someone else do the hiring. do you do piss tests and criminal checks? maybe florida is different. here you go to police station file a police report, go over to pawn shop call police and get your stuff back. breid...............

Comment

Samething here in MD. You can't keep or sell someone's stuff if it was stolen. We had a group of thieves break in to our plant multiple nights over a weekend. We call the local pawn shops on that Sunday & the one they took some of our stuff to got pissed off that we call & said they don't buy stolen stuff & hang the phone up. Well we caught some of them on that Sunday night & that Monday morning the number 1 priority of the local police was to find our stuff & anyone who anything to do with it. Robbery div. had our stuff back from pawn shop before lunch. Anybody who anything to do with the break ins wanted to get a far away as possible. Everybody was singing. It was a good day crooks in jail & pawn shop out money.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        If only we could extend this to workers in all the trades...

Is it really that hard to be polite and respectful to someone while you are talking to them....or at least turn down the radio for 30 seconds

Comment

yes i report everything to the police. the police actually caught the guy asked if i would press charges. sure i said , he gets looked up. a few weeks later phone rings hi this is det so and so did mr. you know who come back to work for you? no why? cause we just received a report he pawned more tools , seems he hit the local mr. plumber also . so now every coupla months i get a check from the state for around $15 to pay for my k60 and other tools which were never found

Comment

I worked in Boston in the late 70's. The van had more alarms, locks and cages than Fort Knox plus I carried a 357 snub in the small of my back. The dangerous time was going from the steps to the van and opening the door. That's when they'd jump you. Oh the fun, I miss it so
                            sigpic

Comment

And this is why I will stay a one man show as long as possible, If I need an extra welder for a day my Brother is just a phone call away.

Comment

Working...
                              X