100 year old lead roof vent flashing Pics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 year old lead roof vent flashing Pics

Here is a 100 year old lead roof vent flashing and a new plastic roof vent flashing...which do you think will last longer? The vent cast stack is also shown...pitted, but still ok.
    Attached Files

Re: 100 year old lead roof vent flashing Pics

you have a lot of roofs with clover? breid...............

Comment

These are my roofing shingles (not my hands).

Comment

My house was 13 years old when the rubber flashing went bad. I thought it was a pex leak because I had to replace the copper already on the 2nd floor ( I think it was just 1 bad piece of 3/4 but I replaced it all anyway after the 3rd leak). Water was coming through the 1st floor ceiling so I did not expect a roof problem.

Comment

Is it normal to find a hub at the top of your vent stacks up yonder there eh?

I find a lot of 4X5" increasers (used to be Chicago code for ages) or just a 4" baldy into a 4" lead flashing.

I usually leave whatever CI I find in place in the attic if it is in good shape (usually XH CI that is in great shape if you can look beyond the surface rust, kinda like my '93 chevy). My reasoning is that i find more leaks on PVC vents in the attic/at the roof due to the expansion and contraction of the pipe in our freakish climate where 1 day it's 90 and the next it can be 50, (or 50 1 day and 15 the next).

I like lead. I don't keep a flashing on the truck but I do keep about 15 lbs for CI lead/oakum joints.

Do you have any finished/installed pics of the new flashing?

-Chris

Comment

In Toronto I have seen both...stacks with hubs and stacks without...mostly without though...kinda hard to slip a lead flashing over a hub! I got my hands covered with black roof caulking so I couldn't take a final pic of the new flashing....and I ain't climbing up that 50o pitch roof again!...well, I guess I will in 10 years to replace the rubber one!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
              Can you imagine the birds making a nest in your roof? A good chance some ducks would try to make a nest on my roof if that turf was on my house. Looks interesting though.

BTW: Why didn't you reuse the lead flashing or get a frost free flashing?
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Well, good question geno..... I thought and thought and thought about it....and maybe I will regret it.....the 4" vent stack was moved and it was also reduced to 3" ABS (my doing, right or wrong). The old lead flashing, however good it was, was not installed correctly as I have come to know through some research. Apparently, the lead flashing is supposed to be bent down and folded INSIDE the 4" Cast...it was not....It was just caulked around the pipe, and that's what kept causing the leak (mov't through expansion, etc). I was even thinking to fold the lead flashing inside the 4" ABS (if I kept 4"...but I reduced to 3"). I have never seen new lead vent flashing (3" or 4") sold in stores...must be though since I saw them on the internet...probably not $9.99 like the rubber ones. (I must say, I was not too comfortable up top that high pitched roof and wanted to get this done fast)... We will see what happens in the next 10 years.

BWT...what is a frost free flashing?
                Last edited by Chemeng; 07-02-2011, 08:42 AM. Reason: add frost free flashing question.

Comment

I use lead flashings and they do get folded over the end of the vent to seal it.....thats a natural. Lead has problems too....squirrels like to chew on it. Wiping it with roofing tar stops them.

Comment

I have never seen new lead vent flashing (3" or 4") sold in stores...must be though since I saw them on the internet...probably not $9.99 like the rubber ones. ?

Ferguson carries them for sure. they're a CA company so you should be able to get them up by you too. Most every plumbing supply house in the Chicago area carries them exclusively. Chicago code requires lead flashings on vents. Most of the suburbs too.

Unincorporated Cook County (very limited as most are in Chicago or an incorporated suburb) still requires lead shower pans! And believe it or not, you can still get sheet lead to do it.

Comment

Are you serious ? Why???
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You've never heard of "Green" roofs?

Comment

BWT...what is a frost free flashing?
                          F.J. Moore Manufacturing

I'm partial to the copper ones. ) Sadly customers don't like to pay for them. (
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Thems some pretty flashings, for sure. Copper is cool. It might be a hard sell for those though.

Comment

Working...
                            X