X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extras? What's an extra?

A couple months ago I bid on repiping the water piping in a house, and doing some limited waste and vent modifications to pipe a relocated kitchen sink. My quote was quite detailed. I got the job. I went to meet the general contractor whom I had never met before and the very first thing he tells me is that the customer has no more money to spend so we can't submit invoices for extra work. We must do just what's in the quote. Fine with me.

Literally three seconds later he's asking me to relocate a two story cast iron soil stack, and while I'm at it, can I remove all the old lead waste piping in the house. (Three lead bends, 1 tub waste, 1 shower waste, and 3 lav drains. (8 different drains total. The access on five of them is difficult at best since they are partially buried in a floated tile floor) Not sure which I want to do more...

What's funny is he actually seems like a nice guy.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Extras? What's an extra?

Might be a nice guy, but not very bright I take it. I wish I could see his face when you tell him how much for all that extra work.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Sounds all to familiar.. I always get $ up front from all new generals nice or not, had to many problems from contractors with no previous history

Comment

The concrete guys are always the first to get paid.. If the folks have run out of money before the trim carpenter gets there, Oh boy!
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Budget is tight or customer has no more money to spend on the project, is a play right out of the GC's play book.

I'm taking it that you submitted your bid through the GC and not the customer themselves.

If that's true, why in the world is the GC submitting Plumbing prices to the customer without getting prices from actual Plumbers themselves? How does the GC know what it costs for you to run your business? Personally, I would of walked from this job the moment he would of started with trying to get something for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
            The G.C probably has 3 fish on his line. Out of those 3 he probably will land one. The G.C is employing the same tactics as franchise companies. The law of numbers. he is betting one out of you three is a sucker and will take the job and not make any money. But hey he will make it up to you on the next one. LOL
            Our neighbor is a realtor and also flips homes. Every single one of his jobs he tells us "Budget is tight on this one". We pay no mind to that...pay us our price..or find someone else.

Comment

Lose him like a bad habit. Better to stay in bed than to work for free.

Comment

I LOVE extras. Cost plus 10 bought my boat
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  I LOVE extras. Cost plus 10 bought my boat
                  LOL, I know a guy that named his boat after the way he bough it... "Change Order"
                  Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                  Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    Budget is tight or customer has no more money to spend on the project, is a play right out of the GC's play book.

I'm taking it that you submitted your bid through the GC and not the customer themselves.

If that's true, why in the world is the GC submitting Plumbing prices to the customer without getting prices from actual Plumbers themselves? How does the GC know what it costs for you to run your business? Personally, I would of walked from this job the moment he would of started with trying to get something for nothing.
                    Actually I provided my bid to a construction manager with whom I have had a good relationship for several years. In fact I was told I was the highest plumbing bid by about $5k. The construction manager really pushed for me because they know full well they won't have any problems with my work, timeliness, and backing up what I do. So I was kind of forced down the general contractors throat. I'll try and make the meal palatable for him.

I had a nice conversation with the GC today and I think we got everything straightened out. Now all I have to do is perform as expected. The problem for me is I'm really getting overloaded with work now, it's starting to come in faster than I can do it. I hate to turn customers away but it's going to start happening. I worked Saturday, Sunday, Monday (the 4th) just to try and get caught up a little bit. My billing is getting behind. Bad juju.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      Actually I provided my bid to a construction manager with whom I have had a good relationship for several years. In fact I was told I was the highest plumbing bid by about $5k. The construction manager really pushed for me because they know full well they won't have any problems with my work, timeliness, and backing up what I do. So I was kind of forced down the general contractors throat. I'll try and make the meal palatable for him.

I had a nice conversation with the GC today and I think we got everything straightened out. Now all I have to do is perform as expected. The problem for me is I'm really getting overloaded with work now, it's starting to come in faster than I can do it. I hate to turn customers away but it's going to start happening. I worked Saturday, Sunday, Monday (the 4th) just to try and get caught up a little bit. My billing is getting behind. Bad juju.
                      Sounds like you have a keeper there. It's rare for us anymore to work for any GC as they are mostly full of crap.

We are busy as hell lately as well....not sure what's going on, but the 2 of us (me and pop) are having a hard time keeping up.

Comment

Well, Next time this happens with a wing nut general ,try this. " Sure Eddie ,no sweat. As soon as You, and Your Men re- roof My 8 square garage roof for Free, I'll do the plumbing Extras for the same price . " When can You start ?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          well, next time this happens with a wing nut general ,try this. " sure eddie ,no sweat. As soon as you, and your men re- roof my 8 square garage roof for free, i'll do the plumbing extras for the same price . " when can you start ?
                          lol

Comment

And that's exactly why I stay away from fuc*in CONtractors..They aren't worth a shi*. They get what I call CONtractor amnesia when it's time to pay .Their job scheduling sucks. Some guys have CONtractors that are reputable but those are few and far between.When the deadbeat CONtractors take 2 months to pay you have pretty much worked for free.I have told a few "Sorry I don't need your business , get lost"
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

There are honest GC's out there. I've got one who's solid gold. Just wish there were more like him. Going the extra mile for him has always paid off.

Comment

Working...
                              X