Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turbo torch tips

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    I have at least 10 turbo torch tips that are totally not functioning properly, and I'm at a loss on the next move.

I made sure I burned out any solder that might be inside them, and I took out the orifice in a few of them and cleaned them..to no avail.

I ordered the tip cleaner from thermadyne and waiting on that to arrive.

All my tips are the "extreme standard tips" (Red O' ring).

Does anyone know how to use the tip cleaner? Any other tips that could possibly help me clean them up so they are back to normal? I'd seriously hate to throw these tips out.
    Do your tips have a removable orifice? If so take the out and clean or replace them. Goodluck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      Do your tips have a removable orifice? If so take the out and clean or replace them. Goodluck to you.
      Yes they have the removable orifice, and I took them out on a few, but didn't really do anything. That's why I'm waiting on this tip cleaner I ordered through thermadyne.

Comment

Well guess what I needed today...I would have killed for a pro press..I knew this was going to happen..Couldn't get this house to drain worth a shi*..Then after the initial pin hole was repaired..Low and behold another reared it's ugly little head about 12" away..So had the pleasure of doing it all over again..

Ok how would a slip coupling work with pro press
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          Well guess what I needed today...I would have killed for a pro press..I knew this was going to happen..Couldn't get this house to drain worth a shi*..Then after the initial pin hole was repaired..Low and behold another reared it's ugly little head about 12" away..So had the pleasure of doing it all over again..

Ok how would a slip coupling work with pro press
          If it has pinholes it prolly would crush befo it pressed. Repipe it.

Comment

Nope..this was actually "L" copper and had great wall thickness..where did the pin holes come from..

Comment

Nope..this was actually "L" copper and had great wall thickness..where did the pin holes come from..
              Normally a high acid content will result in copper getting small pinholes.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                Normally a high acid content will result in copper getting small pinholes.
                Yeah city water and God only knows what they have been putting in it..Also homeowner said they city has been shutting the water on and off for a while now..20-30 times in the last year or something like that wasn't really paying attention to him

Comment

Yeah city water and God only knows what they have been putting in it..Also homeowner said they city has been shutting the water on and off for a while now..20-30 times in the last year or something like that wasn't really paying attention to him
                  So the outside of the pipe looks good with no pits or corrosion other than natural oxidation? what the inside look like?

Comment

I pull the orifice and clean it and the tip out with brake clean and then 160lbs of air. Sometimes a drop of solder will drop down the tip and then you can remove the orifice and gently heat the tip with another one until the flake melts
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      I pull the orifice and clean it and the tip out with brake clean and then 160lbs of air. Sometimes a drop of solder will drop down the tip and then you can remove the orifice and gently heat the tip with another one until the flake melts
                      When all else fails, that's my technique. Cleaning the orifice with a cleaning solution is always the first step. As for a fouled tip, you gotta be careful with the heat when dislodging any solder, flux or other foreign material, but with a little luck you can rejuvenate it enough to get a few more years out of it.
                      Last edited by Plumbus; 07-07-2011, 09:33 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Yea, you do because if you are not careful you can dislodge the turbulator and then the tip is pretty much junk. If that damn thing moves as much as 1/8 of an inch you can't get the torch to light worth a damn.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                          So the outside of the pipe looks good with no pits or corrosion other than natural oxidation? what the inside look like?

Inside looks great ..I wish I remembered the manufacturer of the pipe..Left it with the homeowner.This would have been a great time to have a camera that went inside 3/4" pipe atleast for a few feet each way to see what else is happening in that run..

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Yea, you do because if you are not careful you can dislodge the turbulator and then the tip is pretty much junk. If that damn thing moves as much as 1/8 of an inch you can't get the torch to light worth a damn.
                            Been there, done that. "If I only had a brain."

Comment

Working...
                            X