X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo torch tips

I have at least 10 turbo torch tips that are totally not functioning properly, and I'm at a loss on the next move.

I made sure I burned out any solder that might be inside them, and I took out the orifice in a few of them and cleaned them..to no avail.

I ordered the tip cleaner from thermadyne and waiting on that to arrive.

All my tips are the "extreme standard tips" (Red O' ring).

Does anyone know how to use the tip cleaner? Any other tips that could possibly help me clean them up so they are back to normal? I'd seriously hate to throw these tips out.

Re: Turbo torch tips

We must be bored.I was just going through my array of tips also..I sware I have tried everything .Some are really big and are quite expensive..A couple I just cut down to the brass for scrap. A couple I dropped solder down I actually melted the flame spreader out of by heating the tip too much with another torch tip..I know it's hard to say good bye sometimes
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
      We must be bored.I was just going through my array of tips also..I sware I have tried everything .Some are really big and are quite expensive..A couple I just cut down to the brass for scrap. A couple I dropped solder down I actually melted the flame spreader out of by heating the tip too much with another torch tip..I know it's hard to say good bye sometimes
      Some of these tips are easily 10 years old and still look in pretty good shape. The A-2's are the only ones I seem to break cause they are so small, but this is easily $700.00 worth of tips down the drain if I can't salvage any of them.

Comment

I know . I wish there was a place to send old tips to get refurbished..

Comment

are you sure you got the flux out

have you overheated them?

there's always propress

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

We know. We know ..I personally am too OLD school for all that ..right now

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              are you sure you got the flux out

have you overheated them?

there's always propress

rick.
              Funny you should say that cause...I got some flux in my tip the other day. But then again..we are never suppose to use the tip under a fitting anyways.

$700 worth of tips and I could of been on my way towards propress instead huh?

Comment

between the cost of solder at @ $25.00#, flux, sand cloth, gas and time/ labor, propress is a bargain.

not to mention the ability to work while the water is still dripping.

the majority of my copper work is repairs. waiting for water to drain is not an issue anymore.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Gotta admit Propress has it's place. Just never had a need for it ...yet

Comment

Once you get used to using a Propress you hate the thought of having to solder... I've had my # of solder for about 7 months and its only half way down... The flux I have might go bad before I use it up lol.
                    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

I bet ..problem is eating the initial cost getting set up..Also the price of the fittings are rediculous.They are a lot bigger than a standard copper fitting..How can you get those things to fit a lot of times???

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                        I bet ..problem is eating the initial cost getting set up..Also the price of the fittings are rediculous.They are a lot bigger than a standard copper fitting..How can you get those things to fit a lot of times???
                        I've never had a problem with the fittings fitting, they're about the same size as the others. The fitting cost is a non issue, customer pays for them. The initial setup cost is high but well worth it. Once you try it you will never go back.

Comment

Thanks Rick for hijacking this thread and turning it into another Pro-Press advertisment LOL
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Thanks Rick for hijacking this thread and turning it into another Pro-Press advertisment LOL
                            I'm starting to believe Rick is on the payroll around here....No wonder why he has all of this Ridgid equipment lying in wait in his bullpen.

But back to the point...what are you guys doing with your fouled tips? Are you all buying Propress instead of fixing your tips?

Comment

I heard Rick gets 5 Ridgid Bucks for every thread that he propmotes their product!!! If I had that deal I'd have 15,000 posts too! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X