X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Closet Bolts

Here's a revelation you wouldn't think would come from the mind of Dunbar Plumbing,

I use those coarse thread, tall cap plastic closet bolts.

Started using them about 8-9 months ago. No more cutting the bolts, the tall cap covers it all.

For years I've been hardcore about using materials that last forever, but damn near every plumber and myself are using products (PEX - lazy man's pipe) that it's about the now and not the later.

Soooooooooo.....

I converted on those closet bolts because it makes the installation easier and I use that Johni-Bar to remove the nuts (plumbers won't even use the all brass, or they'll use 1/4" nail size bolts that give too much play) in the design.

So I caved in to simplicity and let someone else deal with it when it snaps.

But I'd rather much have a bolt snap than be the guy with 5 tools/contraptions trying to get a steel nut off a brass or mild steel bolt. I've been there, countless times. Would it kill you to put an all brass design in?

On studding the bolts into the flange,

I did that for the longest time but some toilets on the underside are a shallow depth, and you can hit those nuts you studded the flange with if you're not careful, leading to a stress fracture in the bowl.

So that's what I do these days, plastic bolts. If I'm hackish for doing so, that means I just walked into the club where the rest of you all are sitting at the bar drinking.

I'm doing what's fast and easy when it comes to the bolts. Hell I'm running lazy man's pipe at a gas station monday. The world truly is coming to an end. lol I'm slopping it in like I want a paycheck and won't be here tomorrow.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

You know what Dunbar.....that may not be a bad way to do things. A plumbing friend I trust said he has used them and they hold really tight. They'll never corrode, and are easier to get off even if you have to do some hacksaw-blade butchering.

I've seen shorter ones. Seems like you cut those??? I don't like the look of the Tall Boys. Probably shouldn't matter but it just doesn't look right to me.

(I know many codes specify brass. The written code may have not addressed any new material available.)

J.C.

Comment

I don't know but it is a high tensile plastic. I could see them cracking under stress years from now.

Code doesn't address closet bolts in Kentucky.

I like the coarse thread as it seems to be a better application. Tall caps I like because no cutting the studs, ever.

Feels like I'm on a coach loading up with cheetos and can't tell I'm getting full till I stand up. LOL!
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

These?

Sioux Chief

Sioux Chief

J.C.

Comment

I gotta admit when I was doing track shacks we started using those..They are strong but as far as not cutting them ..They are plastic so I would cut them and use the standard plastic china caps.Sorry I am now hanging my head in shame
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              If I used those plastic bolts, I know I would strip them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                If I used those plastic bolts, I know I would strip them out.
                Yep pop! done !
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Johnie-bolts or any other 5/16" bolt with stainless washers, and brass nuts. Plastic becomes brittle over time so I can't trust plastic closet bolts that by definition are under stress.

I also bolt the closet bolts to the flange. I think I've only had two toilets actually hit the securing bolts where I had to remove the toilet and then remove them. On balance the practice has saved more grief than it's caused.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

1/4'' brass bolts with stainless washers and brass acorn nuts.

5/16'' is so uncommon that in all the years and well over 10,000 toilets, i've only seen them in less than 1 hand of fingers

the tensile strength of 1/4'' brass will easily exceed the strength of the china.

a tiny tim hacksaw takes less than 15 seconds to cut off the excess length on a standard plastic cap.

the only time i see steel bolts are the ones that come with a toilet that includes the wax ring, toilet seat all in one box from the home center. including the kohler junk.

there was a time i had a 5 gallon bucket of brass closet bolts. now it's down to several hundred. there was a change in the thickness of the bottom tab. older ones were thicker than the newer ones.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

one of our supply houses carries high grade stainless steel bolts that come with an extra set of nuts and washers. but at 5.99 my cost, i'll just use the brass ones.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

how would they expect you to cut them off if they're too long

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                          http://www.wolverinebrass.com/downlo...20&%20Tank.pdf

Agreed ..tell some manufacturers that though..I am looking at the # 59449 bolts..Sure I could just go out and buy some thin brass nuts and keep em' on the truck
                          51446 Set Fast bolts are the only way to go. I love 'em.

Comment

Maybe the way I do it is wrong but I was shown it quite a while ago I use brass bolts use the supplied brass nuts and washers to secure it to the flange at my twelve or ten inch mark. Then I put my wax ring or occasionally in certain temporary cercumstances fernco ring and then my plastic cap washer then stainless washer and nut "bought cheep from local hardware" then load the cap with plumbers putty done deal besides cutting the nuts using my milwaukee hackzall.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                              Maybe the way I do it is wrong but I was shown it quite a while ago I use brass bolts use the supplied brass nuts and washers to secure it to the flange at my twelve or ten inch mark. Then I put my wax ring or occasionally in certain temporary cercumstances fernco ring and then my plastic cap washer then stainless washer and nut "bought cheep from local hardware" then load the cap with plumbers putty done deal besides cutting the nuts using my milwaukee hackzall.
                              No cap washers to "click" onto?

J.C.

Comment

yah cap washers that click but the putty just prevents corrosion and keeps them from getting nocked off

Comment

Working...
                                X