Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Closet Bolts

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

a tiny tim hacksaw takes less than 15 seconds to cut off the excess length on a standard plastic cap.

there was a time i had a 5 gallon bucket of brass closet bolts. now it's down to several hundred. there was a change in the thickness of the bottom tab. older ones were thicker than the newer ones.

rick.
    When I first started out they hadn't come out with the cheese saw yet. PITA to cut the excess off with a hacksaw blade mounted to a handle. I still have a mountain of excess brass bolts. Because I buy my Harvey's #1 and #5 rings with the bolt bags I may never get rid of them. I am going to check bottom tab thickness this morning. You got me with that one Rick. Maybe that's why the bolts slide under CI notched rings easier than they used to. More than once I bent a bolt trying to force it into the notch in days past. I've often wondered who invented the two piece plastic china cap. Assumed it was a German because of the Ein Halt label, which I assume means, "this side up". As for the Cheese saw (Tiny Tim ) , it was invented by a brit. The best blades still come from there. Just like the pencil reamer is of Israeli design and the best reamer blades still come from there.

Comment

Closet bolts are such a PITA just drive a couple of 20D spikes.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
        If I used those plastic bolts, I know I would strip them out.
        I promise you wouldnt. You would break the china first. Thats the bolt I use and they work well.
        26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
          one of our supply houses carries high grade stainless steel bolts that come with an extra set of nuts and washers. but at 5.99 my cost, i'll just use the brass ones.
          Good solid brass closet bolts ain't much cheaper.
          Been in the trade for probably 10 years before I worked for a shop that bought real, solid brass bolts. Everyone else would just buy locke and ferguson cheepo bolts and they were just brass plated already rusted metal.

Comment

I like having my apprentice run after that crap. For that matter, he can set the toilet while I finish my coffee and muffin.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
              Why was that nice? I like my closet bolts and hardware to be all in one pack. Need to set a toilet you just grab the pack out of the van and go....need to stock the van you grab a few packs and go. I would hate to have separate washers,nuts,bolts.
              when you start doing new construction and production work, buying bolts in bulk is much more cost effective. plus prefabbing the closet bolts and having a helper prep the flanges ahead of the toilets going in is also much more productive than stripping cases of bowl waxes and grabbing the bolts to fabb.

yes if all you do is install a few toilets at a time, then it makes sense to just buy them with the wax. also i don't think extended bolts are available with the wax.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Ya'll really prefer 1/4" over 5/16" bolts?

I definitely find the 1/4" bolts easier to trim the excess off. I started using my Milwaukee M12 die grinder (dremel) for cutting off closet bolts. the vibration from the haczall was loosening the bolts a bit.

I've always used 5/16" but everything we do has always been a bit overkill. I hardly used flexible supply tubes until a couple years ago (always rigid copper).

Comment

I have been using the set fast bolts that recesse as you crank them down no cutting at all. They have a thick plastic washer that holds them in place too. I bought 25 or so to get the discount and love them. It eliminates cutting step altogether and adds a little more to the material cost of my bill . Nothing wrong with that !

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                    I have been using the set fast bolts that recesse as you crank them down no cutting at all. They have a thick plastic washer that holds them in place too. I bought 25 or so to get the discount and love them. It eliminates cutting step altogether and adds a little more to the material cost of my bill . Nothing wrong with that !
                    For me, it has to be bolted down to the flange. I get so tired of the bolt moving around while setting the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                      So how do you like them???????? (Since you're using them) Have you seen any downside?
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                      X