residential fire sprinkler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• residential fire sprinkler

If you were installing a sprinkler system in your own home, given the available material. what would you choose?
    I've been kicking the idea around for a few years now, and I go back and forth on it.
    pex would obviously be the easiest, but I don't really want to use it in my home.
    CPVC seems nice and easy to install. and making the runs go in would be cake.
    Steel pipe Seems the most durable, but it's also the most expensive and the most difficult to install in a retrofit scenario.

Figuring on a preblended glycol mix protected by an RPZ in my mechanical closet before it stubs up into the attic.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: residential fire sprinkler

Go to Uponors web site.
    sigpic

Comment

the system of the future that would be my choice is a combination fire sprinkler and potable system. all the heads are piped in a loop with the domestic fixtures using pex or cpvc.

this allows for the plumber to do the install and because it's all potable water, there's no stagnant water sitting in the system. plus there's no real shut down of the system, without affecting the rest of your domestic fixtures. basically it prevents a person from shutting off the sprinklers unless doing maintenance.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

my problem with the combination systems is that i'm wanting to install the heads in the ceiling of my ranch home. So I need to either build a dry system, which would be a pita for my level of know how. or I need an antifreeze in the line. If I went with in wall heads I'd have a lot of sheetrock repair to do, which I despise.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

not getting to scientific on your system, but if you installed the piping protected by a dual check valve and then pressurized the system with compressed air at a higher pressure than the potable water. the checks will keep the air in the system until a head is triggered.

not that complicated, and a simple pressure gage is all that's needed to monitor the charge.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

....and you know, that makes perfect sense. thank you rick.

Comment

We don't do sprinkler systems, but the guys here are using an orange pvc type pipe, and I don't know what it is.

Comment

cpvc, for fire sprinklers.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by flux View Post
                  we don't do sprinkler systems, but the guys here are using an orange pvc type pipe, and i don't know what it is.
                  It is called Blazemaster cpvc special for in house sprinkler systems

the air system Rick posted is the way to go that's what nfpa 13d calls for in cold or refrigerated rooms

the air can't freeze and if a sprinklers head pops it only takes a few seconds for the air to bleed out and the water

to start running, !
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                  X