Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working for Reality companies

Originally posted by themaster
    go to the county courthouse in the county the apartments are in and file a small claims case against them. The sheriff will go out and serve them the papers. That will get you paid. All those places operate the same way...they pay the dog barking the loudest. Wait 90 days before you file the case......send them final notice requesting payment after 60 days by certified mail.
    Yes sometimes you have to do it the hard way to collect !
    I have had good luck whenever i did work for realty people

If you can for little or no money ? file a lien notice on apts that might get the owners attention !

Last edited by JERRYMAC; 07-11-2011, 02:19 PM.
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Man I sure wish I lived in a perfect world where everything is always perfect and nothing ever goes wrong and I'm known as Mr.Perfect and when it rains it rains cash! LOL

Comment

Keep in mind that Collection and Lien laws vary by state and have various costs associated with them... Unless the situation is perfect it is not worth small claims and filing liens for jobs less then a few thousand dollars (above the limit for some small claims courts) Small claims= Filing fees ($90) and 3-5 hours sitting in small claims court waiting for your case to come up ($300-$500) So now I have spent up to $590 to get a judgement, A judgement is not a check in the bank... Now I file a Lien with a judgement ($75 per year) that will need to be resubmitted yearly to stay active.... If they don't sell the house your lien is still not a check in the bank So you can invest $600 and not get a thing....

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
          There is more than one reason to file a small claims case and file liens. Sure the ultimate goal is to get paid but there is secondary motive on my part. If a company is not paying their debts they can ride on other people for a very long time and them not paying you means nothing to them because they can just call another contractor.

Thats where the secondary motive comes into play. If every company would sue them that is being screwed over the company would be put out of business. Once everyone gets their judgements they can file liens. if you still do not get paid all of the parties that hold judgments can go to the district attorney and lobby for fraud charges to be brought against the debtor. It might would be fairly easy to prove they never had any intention of paying.

But that will never happen unless people step up and file a case. It also puts their name in the public annoucements in the newspaper as being sued and how much $ they are being sued for and why. thats not good for anyones business and usually the people reading those annoucemnts play important roles in the community.

Bottom line.....It keeps a mofo honest and reveals the ones who are not.

Thats whats up.
          So If I understand it correctly, The goal is to maybe get paid by spending more money and giving even more of your time then hope that others do the same thing with the secondary goal of convincing a prosecutor to file charges against said company (more time)???

I have been looking for an example of this form of justice on the internet to no avail...

Cut your losses, talk to your fellow tradesmen and move on OR simply stipulate payment due at time of services rendered and call the cops for theft of services when they don't pay this will get the paper trail started and save ya 600 bucks

It may not be "What's up" but it makes sense...
          Last edited by OkieBill; 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

My good friend who has his own Plumbing & Heating business, took someone to court over $65.00 because of principle.

The clerk at the court said to him "Are you serious?" lol

He got his money in the end plus court cost.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
              Go to the county courthouse in the county the apartments are in and file a small claims case against them. The sheriff will go out and serve them the papers. That will get you paid. All those places operate the same way...they pay the dog barking the loudest. Wait 90 days before you file the case......send them final notice requesting payment after 60 days by certified mail.
              Actually wait 80 days. At least in Idaho, if you wait past 90 days you can't file a lein on the property, but you can if you do it before 90 days from the last day you performed work on the property.

Comment

In Cali, in order to "perfect" a lien, you need to file a lawsuit. Of course you need to do a bunch of paperwork prior to even doing the work to be in compliance with the law. Of course once you get the judgment you sit and wait for them to sell the house, or you sell the judgment to a collector for a percentage and let them harass your former client for money they now owe them. If you are good, you can force a foreclosure (or so I have been told.)

All this mumbo jumbo really is not worth the hassle for doing a day or two of labor for somebody, this applies more for contract jobs where there is a good deal of money involved.

Still, I hate deadbeat customers. I had one that did not like the work I did, despite the fact I did it exactly the way he told me to do it. His neighbor complained about the lights at night, (his new gate lights) his wife complained the outdoor shades were not done (*** backwards) like the old ones, I harrassed his son (for polietly suggesting he not paint over the skylights) and for destroying a portion of his driveway (where the edge of the dirt sunk-where the told me to park) He wanted me to buy new material out of my own pocket and re-do everything again. Two weeks work for $300 is what I walked away with. I wanted to fry him, turn him into the county for all of the un permitted work he had done on the property (including mine) INS (immigration) for his illegal aliens, the IRS for not withholding taxes, the state labor board for not having any sort of insurance and for him cheating me on my hours, and anyone else I could come up with to make his life miserable and cost him money.

In the end, the advice of an old timer who taught me everything I knew came to mind... "It's better to walk away with a good name, than to fight your customers over money."
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                X