X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working for Reality companies

Had a lady call me from a local reality co for some service work? The first mistake I made was not mention it to the guys at the Supply House for feedback, I have learned if you want the dirt go to the trenches. Well I didn't. Did 2 calls plus 1 at their house and I have not got paid yet. After talking around the Supply house I was told they never pay or you have a hard time getting your money.
    I re- play this in my head, their house call was a leaking toilet and they said the cold water in the kitchen sink would not work. I checked then went under the counter to find the cold water supply was cut off. The daughter was there I asked how long it had been like this, of course she had no idea. She asked for a estimate before I looked at it, said her father needed to know how much, I think this guy cut the water off to see if I was gonna try to sell him a new faucet or something. I have been doing service work for a long time and I never have thought like this until the last 6-8 years, I put nothing past people now, and I hate to be like this I was not raised like this, I try to see the good in people. But now this day and time I have different thoughts. the 3 service calls plus parts was all under 325.00 dollars. I am sick of having to deal with people like this, that can afford this. I work for 75.00/hr plus parts, about 20-25 bucks lower than that of any other plumbing co in town. I have 27 years experience in plumbing, if I wanted to cheat people I would have started a lot sooner, then I would not be working full time for a school and all times of the night for myself.

Re: Working for Reality companies

I did one job for realtor. It was a repair on a 30 year old furnace in the middle of the summer. It had a bad vibration, the blower wheel had some loose fins. I replaced the wheel. I didn't check it for other problems. I was told only to get rid of the vibration. Received a call from the realtor a few days later wanting me to wanting me to assume liabilty for any problems that the new owners of the property might have with it. I basically told him to go straight to Hell. Never again!!!

James

Comment

These are the kind of people who will sue you because a light bulb burned out and caused the foundation to crack. The light of course would have been installed years after you did your work in their home, but hey, their lawyers have nothing but time and your money to steal.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

you need to either work for referrals that are trustworthy. or get paid before you leave.

very simple. the supply house or store only gives you credit when your and established customer with a credit check. all others are cod before you step out of the door.

same principal as a store as it is for you.

how long has it been and what's their excuse for the delay?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Real estate agents are the devil

They have only gotten worse with the invention of American Home Shield (Home warranties). Now everything should be fixed for $75 since that is what a Warranty call costs them....

It took me a few real estate agent burns before I found the few that I will work for.

Like Rick said: If you have no history with the customer payment is due when services are completed no question.

Trust has got to be earned...

Comment

In my town the Reality co are good for buisness, i know all of them and they pay
            the warranty co. dont get a call back .to many hoops ta jump thru

Comment

going on 2 months, I hit all 3 calls same day, took 1/2 day Vacation from regular job, sent invoices through emails. They will not return calls. Guess I will take another 1/2 day off to visit them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                Go to the county courthouse in the county the apartments are in and file a small claims case against them. The sheriff will go out and serve them the papers. That will get you paid. All those places operate the same way...they pay the dog barking the loudest. Wait 90 days before you file the case......send them final notice requesting payment after 60 days by certified mail.
                This is what I have to do now. What a pain in the azz some of these reality companies are. Drives me nuts their the ones with all the cash getting the jobs done when they need it done. But when it comes time to pay they drag their feet while I have to fight off shut off notices and scrape by.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Interesting. I work with multiple realtors. All whom came to me via referral and I've never had a problem getting paid. A couple of them even want to pay me before I do the work. (I imagine to cut down on a trip or postage)
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

IMO..Reality companies are THE worst!

Had a long time customer who was also a realtor, and it was the Reality side for the reason we don't do work for her anymore. Basically she didn't like the price we charged to winterize a house..claimed "this is what we pay for that type of work". My father shot back "well this is what I charge for that type of work". She didn't like that answer, and we never heard from her again.

Realtors are the biggest crybabies and cheapest people I ever worked for.

Comment

"They have only gotten worse with the invention of American Home Shield (Home warranties). Now everything should be fixed for $75 since that is what a Warranty call costs them...."

WOW..... I haven't done AHS work in many many years. Started doing work for them in Northern Ca. (Sonoma, Marin Counties) back in the 80's when the Brinkers stilll owned them, When we called in there were maybe only 4 or 5 people to talk to and get authorization, knew them all very well. Back then the service call we collected was 35 bucks and most everything was covered, we went through hundreds of garbage disposals and water heaters back in the day. My how times have changed.

Comment

I did a lot of work for the different realty companies in my town, and made some good money off of them. I am now rethinking working for them.

The owner of one of the property management companies in my town died around a month ago, and the company was shut down. The company owes me around $2,000 from a couple bills, and a lot of other people about the same amount of money. My chances of collecting that are slim to none at this point.

People complain about how much plumbers charge. I charge enough so that if something like this does happen, it's a big pain, but not enough to shut down the business.

Comment

After 48 Years in the trades " NEVER EVER ,WORK FOR REALTORS ! PLAGUE OF THE INDUSTRY !
                          Last edited by toolaholic; 07-11-2011, 09:53 AM.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'll pretty much work for anyone these days but it's always no billing. I won't bill anyone anymore except for a very few select people (the City, County etc.) For realtors or any other person it's get paid now or forget about it. I tell them I'm not their credit union, though I do accept Visa and MC. It works. The people that don't want to pay are the customers I didn't want in the first place.

Comment

I own 3 different companies ( custom construction material plant, excavating, & remodeling ) & have all types of customers no one type is worst than another, but all types have their deadbeats. You just have to make sure you do a proper credit check on customers new & old. Also in MD if you want to collect interest or collection fees you must include a statement to that fact on your credit appl. or invoice. I have some plumbers that I will only sell to them with condition they pay me upfront. Does that mean plumbers are bad pay no just those deadbeats. Also, any bill under $1,000.00 is C.O.D. unless you are long time customer with a good pay history I don't have time to chase small invoices.

Comment

Working...
                              X