X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corroded Washer Water Connection

The cold water faucet connection from my old washer is so corroded it can't be unscrewed. Is there any kind of lubricant that can be applied? I bought a new washer but the techs won't hook it up to an old water hose and they need to hook it up because part of their procedure is to make sure the washer works correctly before leaving so I'm kind of in a catch-22 situation.

very common problem. the packing had probably leaked and caused the plated steel hose connector to rust. it's better to change the hose bibb and be done. if you really want to attempt to remove the hose, here goes. cut the rubber hose off close to the bibb. use a hacksaw or similar to put a slice into the steel hose thread at a perpendiclar cut to the threads. just deep enough to split the thread when wrenching. you might need to do this in 1 to 3 spots. like i said it's better to replace the bibb with the newer style ball valve hose bibb.
    good luck.
    rick.

Comment

Sorry, newbie, greenhorn, ignoramous, call me what you like but please explain "hose bibb"? Is that the technical term for the faucet?

Comment

yessireebob , it is that
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

yessireebob , it is that
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Alright! I learned something new today. Next question, is this a doable do it myself project or shld. a pro do it and what would be your estimate? (This is California - home of overpriced houses and services)

Comment

sierra, if you are half way handy it's a diy. you either have a threaded on hose bibb. meaning pipe thread nipple into the hose bibb. lefty loosy, righty tighty.
              or you have a copper compression hose bibb connection. also easy, except if you need to change the compression nut if it's not a compatiable thread.
              if hot side you can shut off the water heater and try. if cold you have no toilets until fixed, compleated.
              job is less than a 15 job. you might find a local handy man to come over for a short call.
              i charge a min. 1/2 hour on a local call. still a bargan.

rick.

Comment

Thanks Rick - I'm going to give it a try - something new to experience.

Comment

Sierra,

A few tips to a beginner. While fittings and connections need to be tight so as not to leak you do not have to use herculanean strength and torque on small residential fittings in order to get a tight seal.

To change your hose bibb be sure to use another tool to brace the fitting you are screwing your "faucet" out of. Apply steadily increasing pressure until it gives. If you use hard jerking motions its possible to cause your plumbing to leak somewhere else. Apply a good quality thread sealant to your male pipe threads before installing your new hose bibb/faucet. When your appliance installers attach your new washer hoses to your new hose bibbs(replace both of them while you have the water off, they only cost 5 bucks, 9 for good ones) require them to apply a bit of lithium grease to the hose threads. This will help make them very easy to remove when you begin your once every five year replacement of your quality hoses. Do not let them use bargain basement hoses.
                  Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
                  X