Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewerage spill in crawl space, broken pipe.

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
    My two cents as an industrial waste water contractor. DON'T!!!

The number of life threating diseases that you can get from raw sewage are numerous, not to mention the ones that don't kill you but basically make you into a vegetable.

In California any form of raw sewage spill is now considered a HazMat clean-up, especially if there is the potential to contaminate ground water. A basement or crawl space spill without containment meets that criteria. In California the potential minimum fine is $10,000.00 for a sewage spill that can penetrate to a an aquifer, or storm drain system, and they expect a licensed specialty company to handle the clean up.

You should see the vaccine requirements that are necessary when you get licensed in this state for Waste Water Treatment Plant Certification.

We don't even do the clean ups. We hire out third parties and when they are done we come in and do our thing.

I would highly suggest that everyone look at the fine print in there liability policies. You will surprised to find that almost all plumbers policies will have disclaimers that pertain to raw sewage, health risks associated with it etc....

Sewage spills in NJ are treated just about the same. Reportable and there is the possibility of a fine depending on the circumstances.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Odd, we did a clogged toilet call today at a shoe shop in the mall. they thought that by flushing the toilet 20+ times it would self unclog.

The little store guy asked me the same thing, but in a expectant sort of way, like me spending 3-6 hours shop vaccing up his whole store was part of the service call.

If I made the mess, absolutely I will clean it up. If it was there before I got there? You'll be paying a plumber hourly+parts to clean it up, if you so wish.
      Once told that most people are very glad I don't clean up their mess.

Comment

Shaw Photo Share

I wanted to show you some pics of the exact situation 3 months ago with a 60 year old building i worked in 3 months ago. The trap arm broke fell off about 2 years ago according to the tennants. Yes, the dumbest thing that i ever done was do this myself.
        I had a low point in the crawlspace. About 20 inches deep and i placed a my handy used myers sewage pump in that corner and began pumping into a three inch co. I had an old gas pressure washer and keep pushing it towards the deep end. It took half a day to powerwash. I think i managed to pump out 98 % of it all with the pump. I wore a new organic vapor mask and didnt smell a thing! There was a lot of sh**. Must wear rubber boots. The health inspector got involved and said to spray 6 gallons of chlorox bleach. OH yeah, I cut a 10 inch hole in the first floor and used my 2000cfm grow op fan and ran it 48 hours prior the job and 3 more days after chlorox. The plumbing took about 4 to 5 hours but the clean up took overall took 4 days.
        Just for your information, the job costed 8,200 plus tax. Included a pre inspection and assesment. If this job came up again, i might do it again with my partner because those masks helped a lot. I think the Vacuum truck would have charged 3500 for the clean up with powerwashing included with disinfection. They quoted 140.00 per hour. By the way , i used shop vac to pick up the final residual which i ended up pumping also into the the co.

Comment

No thanks
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The stench was three dead rats. I charge a hundred bucks a rat.
            The smell was three dead rats. Hundred bucks a rat. On a side note, clark pes
            t control said" we don't remove dead animals " the gave a nationwide 800# for an animals removal co.
            No price,we send out a tech . Wtf ?
            Last edited by toolaholic; 08-08-2011, 11:57 AM.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by robertochekwong View Post
              Shaw Photo Share

I wanted to show you some pics of the exact situation 3 months ago with a 60 year old building i worked in 3 months ago. The trap arm broke fell off about 2 years ago according to the tennants. Yes, the dumbest thing that i ever done was do this myself.
              I had a low point in the crawlspace. About 20 inches deep and i placed a my handy used myers sewage pump in that corner and began pumping into a three inch co. I had an old gas pressure washer and keep pushing it towards the deep end. It took half a day to powerwash. I think i managed to pump out 98 % of it all with the pump. I wore a new organic vapor mask and didnt smell a thing! There was a lot of sh**. Must wear rubber boots. The health inspector got involved and said to spray 6 gallons of chlorox bleach. OH yeah, I cut a 10 inch hole in the first floor and used my 2000cfm grow op fan and ran it 48 hours prior the job and 3 more days after chlorox. The plumbing took about 4 to 5 hours but the clean up took overall took 4 days.
              Just for your information, the job costed 8,200 plus tax. Included a pre inspection and assesment. If this job came up again, i might do it again with my partner because those masks helped a lot. I think the Vacuum truck would have charged 3500 for the clean up with powerwashing included with disinfection. They quoted 140.00 per hour. By the way , i used shop vac to pick up the final residual which i ended up pumping also into the the co.
              I think you didn't charge enough for that mess! I almost got sick just looking at the pics. Your a much better man than me, for sure!

The people that live above that, must not have noses or something. How could that go on for that long?
              Last edited by nobackfall; 08-09-2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X