Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sewerage spill in crawl space, broken pipe.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewerage spill in crawl space, broken pipe.

Do You do your own clean up? do you put down lime after? What are good practices?
    Thanks in advance.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Sewerage spill in crawl space, broken pipe.

Practice #1, day laborers from Home Depot!

Yech, its making me sick even thinking about it.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

plastic and lime. Oh yea, don't forget the Vic's Vapor Rub!
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

And I've taken an extension ladder to make me a little bridge to get there or lay on to fix things.

When you can or course.

J.C.

Comment

careful with lime. it's considered a toxic and was an old school fix. not a good practice anymore.

i would rather see it properly dried out and something like lysol/ pinesol used with a clay absorbent. even kitty litter with an anti-bacterial would be safer than lime.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
            I use a fiberglass extension ladder and do the same. I also turn all the power off to the house. Plumber was killed here last year by a bare electical wire under a house. Could have been anyone of us. He did nothing wrong. Be careful.

Microban is good stuff.
            Microban is fantastic stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Do You do your own clean up? do you put down lime after? What are good practices?
              Thanks in advance.
              I'm a Plumbing & Heating contractor, NOT a Hazmat Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                I'm a Plumbing & Heating contractor, NOT a Hazmat Team.
                That's fine, I can also can build raised panel cabinets, Weld x ray Cert.and much more. I have no problem scooping up sewerage !
                No premadonna here!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That's fine, I can also can build raised panel cabinets, Weld x ray Cert.and much more. I have no problem scooping up sewerage !
                  No premadonna here!

I have done minor clean up ..But like Flux mentions that really needs to be done by professionals .Yes a haz mat crew with all the protection , vac, fans , disenfectants
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                    I have done minor clean up ..But like Flux mentions that really needs to be done by professionals .Yes a haz mat crew with all the protection , vac, fans , disenfectants
                    For You ,fine.
                    Not for this Irishman! Granger has all I need!

Comment

For You ,fine.
                      Not for this Irishman! Granger has all I need!
                      Irishmen have always been stubborn!

Comment

If it's a finished area I clean up the mess that I make from my work. My usual practice is to leave the job cleaner than I found it. If there is damage from backup or other and the owners cannot or do not want to clean it up themselves then I refer people to a company that does only cleanup and restoration from flood/fire/other damage. It's always cheaper than having me do it and they do a better job than I would be able to do with the meager cleaning supplies I keep on the truck. This is usually for finished living areas.

rather few crawlspaces for me buy when it does happen I've doused the area in lysol and then used kitty litter to absorb

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                          If there is damage from backup or other and the owners cannot or do not want to clean it up themselves then I refer people to a company that does only cleanup and restoration from flood/fire/other damage.
                          We do the same thing, we refer the customer to companies who specialize in clean-ups, and get paid finders fees for it.

Comment

I've actually gone in, done the repair as quickly as possible (not to be mistaken for "as shady as possible") and will tell the homeowner they gotta figure out clean-up and disinfecting on their own.

But I'll still do the repair with crap in the crawlspace.....I'd definitely lay down some boards and tarps to minimize my exposure and ask the homeowner to not use any of the plumbing so it can start to dry up a bit.

Maybe I'm just young and not very cautious, but that's the way I do things for now.
                            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

My two cents as an industrial waste water contractor. DON'T!!!

The number of life threating diseases that you can get from raw sewage are numerous, not to mention the ones that don't kill you but basically make you into a vegetable.

In California any form of raw sewage spill is now considered a HazMat clean-up, especially if there is the potential to contaminate ground water. A basement or crawl space spill without containment meets that criteria. In California the potential minimum fine is $10,000.00 for a sewage spill that can penetrate to a an aquifer, or storm drain system, and they expect a licensed specialty company to handle the clean up.

You should see the vaccine requirements that are necessary when you get licensed in this state for Waste Water Treatment Plant Certification.

We don't even do the clean ups. We hire out third parties and when they are done we come in and do our thing.

I would highly suggest that everyone look at the fine print in there liability policies. You will surprised to find that almost all plumbers policies will have disclaimers that pertain to raw sewage, health risks associated with it etc....

Comment

Working...
                              X