Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Admittance valve

Originally posted by TheMaster
    The plumbing code doesn't really mean anything if you get an engineer to sign off on it. Think about that next time you guys start arguing code. Theres a Hotel I know of that was built a few years ago....the traps are 5' from the vent on a 1.5" line. Engineer said it would work fine....codebook says OH NO WAY. Guess what? It works fine.

Maybe your plumbing code, not in this state.

Comment

The plumbing code doesn't really mean anything if you get an engineer to sign off on it. Think about that next time you guys start arguing code. Theres a Hotel I know of that was built a few years ago....the traps are 5' from the vent on a 1.5" line. Engineer said it would work fine....codebook says OH NO WAY. Guess what? It works fine.
      We need his name and picture
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That wouldn't fly here, engineer or not. I have never use an AAV in my life. The only one in the shop is sitting on my filing cabinet with a broadhead through it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          That wouldn't fly here, engineer or not. I have never use an AAV in my life. The only one in the shop is sitting on my filing cabinet with a broadhead through it.
          So what you're saying is..The Plumbing inspector knows more than an Engineer? Isn't a Plumbing inspector there to interpret and make sure people follow the Plumbing code? Wouldn't it be safe to say that an Engineer of some sorts, has a say in what's written in the actual Plumbing code?

If I was a betting man, I think an Engineer would carry more weight in a court room than a Plumbing Inspector..no matter which state.

Comment

Most engineers would know better than to stamp something that goes against the code. Remember that the code is written by engineers in the first place and that the local code inforcement officer has jurisdiction and the final say. In other words he has to approve the engineers design.
            sigpic

Comment

That may be so in Alabama but in most states including mine the State Plumbing Code rules. No engineer can trump a State plumbing inspector. We take great pride in our plumbing code and our inspectors are very strict about it. There is a reason for this.

Comment

This is a little different, but was at a Subway in Iowa the other day and noticed the drain under the bath sink was a s-trap! I thought "what the?"
                Must have been signed off by the engineer!

Comment

Like you said in most states, not this state. Not really worth arguing about. I know the rules here, you don't. I'm not really concerned about what happens in Alabama. It's different in every state, just like the plumbing code is different in every state.

Comment

Looks like someone is showing off those great interpersonal skills again

**BIG HUG***

Is it about pancake time?

Almost forgot, 14 characters Alphanumeric with capitalization and special characters, Come get ya some more pal
                    Last edited by OkieBill; 07-15-2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

In my state and it's neighbor the local inspectors have the final say followed by state and then anyone else that jumps on the wagon.
                      sigpic

Comment

Here in Pennsylvania it's different.

A second opinion coming from an engineer holds weight here in the state regardless of inspector. One case is in the news now with a building that passed inspection by the town (Norristown), but failed inspection by independent engineers. The part that ticks me off is...no repercussions are going to happen to the towns building inspectors for signing off on the project. Corruption at it's finest.

Comment

Doesn't matter what the code says or what the city inspector wants in certain buildings here. Federal government building and any foreign embassy are exempt from plumbing code compliance.

Comment

Well yea and it's the reason why moile homes and modulars are allowed also.
                            sigpic

Comment

Whys that?
                              I want to send Him flowers ,Honey
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I think (danger alert) in most areas an engineers' opinion can "overrule" code interpretation by inspector and state governing body provided they back it up and stamp it.

There are holes in everyone's code that don't get addressed for awhile, if ever.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X