X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Admittance valve

Walked in Ferguson today and saw these new type of air admittance valves sitting on display out front. Of course it's the Pro-flo version, but I had to shake my head when I saw this today.

I guess when you take a PVC P-trap apart, they want you to put this tubular contraption into the wall, and then hook your trap up on the other side. Yes I know UPC won't allow this...lol.

Has anyone else seen these yet?
    Attached Files

Re: Air Admittance valve

WTF......did it cost a buck a boat load and you get to keep the boat?
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Yeah, my Ferguson Express has had them on display for about a month now. I laughed too when I first saw the display right at the front counter. They also sell a kit that has a louvered access panel too.

Only a couple left in the box this morning, I better get mine soon

Comment

Is it used for sinks that don't already have a vent, or what?

Comment

The hardware store's around here sell similar crap so what? It's just the latest incarnation or the wave of plastic cheap and fast plumbing products that flood our trade. We didn't stand against pex, cpvc, CSST, AAV's or anything else, why start here?
          sigpic

Comment

Yes. Been around for a good while. (I know, I know, Johnny know it all plumbing....Sorry.)

J.C.

Comment

i can understand 1 that is installed 6'' above a flood level rim that will never see waste or water. but under the sink with waste, water and hair, how the heck do you keep them free of debris that will hold them open and eventually leak

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                WTF......did it cost a buck a boat load and you get to keep the boat?
                It does look like a toy boat huh? lol

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i can understand 1 that is installed 6'' above a flood level rim that will never see waste or water. but under the sink with waste, water and hair, how the heck do you keep them free of debris that will hold them open and eventually leak

rick.
                  Rick I have seen a ton of aav's and have only seen 1 leak. Under the cabinet below flood rim is no trouble so far.
                  Last edited by saysflushable; 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM.

Comment

They let us install them on a san tee right off a tub or shower drain here. Insanity I tell you.
                    sigpic

Comment

NHMaster, I must be missing something. I have never seen one installed around here. Is it in place of a vent? Is it just if the sink is a little too far from the vent ?
                      I guess I need to go back to school or something.
                      Last edited by nobackfall; 07-14-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I use the oatey sure vents in older house renovations. There in our code and were aloud to use them we were taught in school they allowed them to be used mostly mall concessiom stands and other xostco coffee stands ect. Places where a vent isnt practical. Our inspector frowns on them island sinks he allows oatey claims six inchs above trap arm i usually just avoid using them i prefer the barbers loop the less moving parts the better.

Comment

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
                          NHMaster, I must be missing something. I have never seen one installed around here. Is it in place of a vent? Is it just if the sink is a little too far from the vent ?
                          I guess I need to go back to school or something.

God bless plumbers from Ilinois where they still work under a plumbing code that means something.
                          sigpic

Comment

I went to a new high rise downtown and all the sinks had these installed I looked them over and thought, oh makes building the building cheaper (no vents in the walls). And they can build them faster.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Theres a video on you tube they use pyrex pipe and try to create back siphonage by extending the trap arm to rediculous lengths kinda funny. Bye the way we can go six feet on inch and a half here for code as long as you dont change direction by more then 135 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X