Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kinda of a unique project.... any thoughts?

A friend of mine and another young contractor in the area, is building his dream home.
    beautiful views, three machine garage "kobata's are his toys and his career" nice simple post and beam garage with living quarters and office upstairs. The perfect location except no water.... now hes ceritiied septic planner and installer so thats covered hes asked me to come up with some sort of plan for a rainwater collection system off his metal roof. Hes going to bury three fifteen hundred poly tanks beside his house and build a small shelter around them "becoming his mechanical room" a jet pump eighty gallon pressure tank and hot water tank will call this there home.

Stagnant water turns dangerous quickly so there will be a reirc type line with a groundfos pump on a timer keeping water circulating and moving preventing algae growth ultra violet and probally reverse osmosis will deem it potable. M y thought for the down spouts if the plumbing inspector allows it was to run it in thick wall pvc and on the inside of the garage allowing them to stay warm in the minus twenty or so temperture we see for two weeks around. Christmas.. just looking for advise i knoww they make heat tapes for your .gutters drain guards for the down spouts snow stopes on the roof. Forty five hundred gallons of water imperal not u.s "imperial is one point two times that of a us gallon" just any advise or concerns or insight from any one would be highly appreciated thanks for reading and happy trails.

Ps obviously a overflow will be required on tha tanks which will dump into either a irrigation tank or rock pit.
    Last edited by seanny deep; 07-21-2011, 01:00 AM. Reason: brain gap

Re: kinda of a unique project.... any thoughts?

i would probably start off with a wye type strainer, followed by a sediment filter then a carbon filter. probably some chlorination for the storage tanks. then the r/o and uv on the way out from the tanks.

defiantly need some heat tape to prevent a broken pipe and allow for faster melt.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Does thé idea of the recirc make any sense to you to keep. The water moving my other idea was some sort of pump that added air like an aquarium pump. Just keep the water from getting stagnent?

Comment

considering you're using an r/o unit and uv , i think the delivered water would be cleaned up. of course save the treatment expense and use tank water for the toilet. also an automatic chlorinator for the tank would help with the algae.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I use 3 simple DIY biological filters made out of 55 gal drums for my 4500 gal koi pond that sits in the sun
          The water is clean clear and has no algae with 50 + fish

Comment

Why can't he dig a well?

Comment

I think one needs to look at why a body of water is considered stagnate, usually there is bacteria in the water, and there is sunlight,
              the bacteria and sunlight together soon over come the dissolved oxygen to allow a slime of plant and micro bacteria growth, many times the bottom of the pool is anaerobic as well,

now when in a tank if the water is "CLEAN" with out bacteria and the addition of sunlight, (which allows plant growth), it will keep for many many month if not years and be fine, some times it is also depleted of dissolved oxygen giving it a flat taste,

but why is it a bottle of water can set for years and still be fine? or you can find a water jug that has sat for many months and still find it drinkable, it is the quality of water one starts out with,

the biggest problem with the old pioneer cisterns, was that they were ground level and got contaminated with surface product,

(like our neighbor who was getting sick and when they opened up the cistern there was a foot of black bugs floating in a mat on top of the water they were drinking), or having to to remove the dead snakes and frogs that found there way into the cisterns,

why does not ground water go stagnate in the earth? in our area some say that water is thousands of years old,

first I would suggest a diversion system that would allow the first water to be divered to rain barrels for plant or not potable water use, and as the drum fills it raises a float that diverts to the holding tank,

I would most likely treat the water that comes off the roof with a little chlorine to kill any bacteria that may have found it way into the or still on the roof systems,

a small aerator system could be helpful, as the O2 released into the water most likely would help Oxidize the remainder if any of the bacteria that could remain, and also help to remove the chlorine out of the water after has done it thing,

I have a 20,000 gallon tank I use on the farm for water here, (well water pumps into it) but sun does not get into the tank, and there is no moss growth, now on the stock tanks that water the animals there is moss growth same water, just out in the sun and weather,
              (I do have a little iron bacteria out of one well that I will treat with a little chlorine from time to time, the bacteria with exposed to sun light kinda leaves a slime but that is not stagnation), (I have used some aeration in the winter time to help keep the formation of ice from forming, as the tank is exposed to the elements out side).

I would think that some form of a water treatment as it enters the system, would be your first line of defense, on the stagnation problem, and depending on the gallons and use possible re treatment of the water from time to time,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Hes on bedrock and and gus driveways pretty steep right at √* peak of a hill plus closest drill rig is several hours away the previous owners experimented with that concept and got no where.

Comment

Thanks guys more to ponder il definetly get some photos and keep you posted on this one.. bhd im gona do some more research what you said intrigues me definetly relavant. Thanks a million.

Comment

Texas manual
                    http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/publicat...3rdedition.pdf
                    various articles on rain water harvesting,
                    The Rainwater Harvesting Community :: HarvestH2o.com
                    and EPA guide
                    http://www.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/gi_mun...harvesting.pdf
                    a few more
                    http://www.austinenergy.com/energy%2...harvesting.pdf
                    How to Build a Rainwater Collection System - Rainwater Digest
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                      How hard is it to make these?
                      Once you find a clean drum , Its easy

Comment

Working...
                      X