X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tape, and dope

Sorry Guys.
    Tape first then dope.
    Cheap pipe and fittings out here And I'm not going to start having leaks.

And I'm hardly an apprentice N.H. <Smile>

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
      What do you use screw pipe for?
      Gas,Gas,Gas

Comment

Thats low pressure and you have leaks just using dope? Using both doesn't make a proper joint if the threads are bad,it may not leak but still not proper. Gas should be done proper.
        "Gas should be done proper."
        No Sh1t
        I don't have leaks.And that is with Chinese and Korean Junk.

I'm tired tonight Boss.Some other time on the marathon debate.I'll take another raincheck.Your can remit all of them at our next roundup.

Comment

Theoretically if the fitting and the pipe were threaded using matching dies then nothing more than a light coat of oil to prevent galling is all that would be required but unfortunatly a lot of pipe and fittings are of inferior quality these days.
          sigpic

Comment

it's not just the raw materials that are poor.

it's also the machine and dies that are not up to par with factory specs.

i have a variety of machines to cut and thread pipe. all do a proper job of threading. but remember that other than my original collins machine i bought used 20 years ago, all my other machines are new and not used for production.

i can tell you that the machines that produces the best factory threads from 1/2''- 1'' is my ridgid 1210 oiless threader. there is a difference between machines, dies and the way we operate them.

as it's true, in a perfect world of pipe threading, we should only need a lubricant to properly make up the connections. but we don't live in a proper world and neither does the manufacturer of our pipe, fittings and threading equipment.

for me, i prefer teflon based pipe dope. but i also will use teflon tape with my pipe dope on larger fittings.

during my days of new construction, we did up to 4'' screw pipe and we used both dope and tape. even greased up the hangers to help ease the tension on wrenching.

dope is more forgiving if you need to back off a fitting a little. plus some dopes do a great job in filling in voids. tape is clean and cuts the friction to wrench along with a good filler.

when needed, i use both. otherwise i use dope as my primary. but remember my machines are top of the line and as close to perfect as they come.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
              No tape on gas piping!!!!! I like BlueBlock or Rectum Seal.
              Yep the blue blocker is good stuff. I usually just use the white teflon pipe dope .On gas I would NEVER even think about using teflon tape.Even though they have the yellow tape rated for gas .I think it is illegal and against code for us to use it.But if you are talking abou a pvc thread joing I ALWAYS tape then dope.Reason is that threads WILL lock up before they get tight if you don't use both...
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                Yep the blue blocker is good stuff. I usually just use the white teflon pipe dope .On gas I would NEVER even think about using teflon tape.Even though they have the yellow tape rated for gas .I think it is illegal and against code for us to use it.But if you are talking abou a pvc thread joing I ALWAYS tape then dope.Reason is that threads WILL lock up before they get tight if you don't use both...
                Can You post the code against tape and dope ?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Theres nothing to debate. Your using tape and pipe dope to make up for bad threads. Thats not good practice. I suggest buying quality pipe and fittings. If that makes people mad I cant help it but now they cant say no one ever told them if threads are bad on gas pipe dont try to "fill" them with a mix of dope and tape. Nothing personal.
                  You are assuming a perfect scenario.
                  Maybe he, me, them whoever, have no authority to buy good materials. Maybe we have no choice but to use crap. Maybe the jobs we get simply do not have that much budgeted in. And you can say you wouuld walk away from the job if you can't use good pipe fittings whatever.

But I think REAL plumbers, that are worth their salt, will not get their panties in a knot about this. Bad threads, fittings pipe? A plumber will make it work. A diva will ***** and complain and refuse to use the materials because they are not good enough for him.

Comment

You can't get along with anyone can you?

Comment

Yeah nevermind those chewed up threads on that gas line....your a plumber,make it work. Did you run the gas pipe for the Challenger Shuttle?

Yes I can say with out a doubt that I would never bid a job thinking..."I will use crap pipe and fittings,if they do not work I will just tape and dope the piss out of it"

No I dont think like that. Its not about who is the boss or about money. Its about installing gas pipe properly. Filling bad threads with teflon and dope is poor professional practice.

I wouldn't let a guy install it like that in my home and I wouldn't install it in anyone elses. Its a crap work around get by and its sub-standard.
                      Well, I can totally see the correlation between running natural gas line from the gas main, to the challenger shuttle, good point sir.

I see being totally stubborn and bashing other people for their methods, as "poor professional practice".

And I agree, why let a guy that takes extra steps to ensure your gas line doesn't leak, install a gas line in your house. Espescially 2 inch. Because we are talking about 1/2 inch gas line to a residential house afterall.

And no, I don't bid a job thinking I will have to dope/tape the joints. Got enough stuff to worry about as it is.

The general feel I am getting from this is, some guys do it, some don't, and others get so pissed someone else is doing something a different way that they feel the need to lash out and try to embarass them.

Besides, as NH said using either on PERFECT threads is overkill. So, stop using dope or tape because....
                      "Filling bad threads with teflon and dope is poor professional practice."
                      So the next residential space shuttle job you bid with 2 inch black gas pipe, go ahead and save your money on dope, or tape whichever you use and just get a bottle of oil.

Comment

Ain't this fun folks?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Ain't this fun folks?
                          This is the balls, I feel like I am at work

Comment

I have told many others to make reading these forums more enjoyable just put a certain person on ignore. Otherwise you will be arguing with this person cause in his eyes we all are slackjawed no nothings. He is the one and only Master.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            Ron's Facebook
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That was my response, because of your response. Poor professional practice? Hardly. Some very very good points were made as to why some people do it.
                              To fill bad threads.

Okay, I understand that. Some people use pipe dope to make up for less than perfect threads because of bad fittings, bad pipe, or bad equipment. I wouldn't stoop so low to say they are themselves bad threaders.
                              Because, that would be poor practice. Anyways, if that is what is considered poor professional practice then YES, I guess I am a bad plumber.

They argument "it's not nescessary" doesn't really fly. You don't know that until you put pressure on the system. Now with domestic pipe, good threaders and good fittings, sure okay, I AGREE, it's not nescessary. But, that is hardly the case most of the time.

The gas line in question was 5 psi to a paint booth. I did half, and my boss did the other half. Half with tape/dope, and half with dope only. I'll admit not only did his look better, but it held just as good as mine.
                              But I still stand by using tape and dope on something that big. Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. Even knowing it may not need it, sure seems like the right way to me.

Now if you feel the need to go get some vagasil because your vajayjay hurts after reading some of my posts, then by all means, put me on ignore. OR, don't insult others for doing something differently than you. The only only only reason anyone can make a argument as to why you shouldn't use dope os because it is not needed in a best case scenario. Some of us don't plumb best case scenarios. We just plumb. And regardless if it's bad pipe, fittings or threads, my **** ain't leakin.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                                You are assuming a perfect scenario.
                                Maybe he, me, them whoever, have no authority to buy good materials. Maybe we have no choice but to use crap. Maybe the jobs we get simply do not have that much budgeted in. And you can say you wouuld walk away from the job if you can't use good pipe fittings whatever.

But I think REAL plumbers, that are worth their salt, will not get their panties in a knot about this. Bad threads, fittings pipe? A plumber will make it work. A diva will ***** and complain and refuse to use the materials because they are not good enough for him.

God damn I cant believe what I am reading here. I know we have some hacks down under but you guys are really being tested. I have to say that a real plumber takes pride in what he does regardless. I think you need to go back to a real trade school and learn. Down here we have a Big Green shed which teaches hacks on the weekends and sells them plenty, I think a bit like your homemaker shop. Now as Professional Plumbers who actually care about what we do and how we do it I say it is criminal to suggest what this guy is saying. The sooner you get out of this trade the sooner we can get out there and rescue the poor homeowners you have ripped.

Comment

Working...
                                X