Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tape, and dope

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
    God damn I cant believe what I am reading here. I know we have some hacks down under but you guys are really being tested. I have to say that a real plumber takes pride in what he does regardless. I think you need to go back to a real trade school and learn. Down here we have a Big Green shed which teaches hacks on the weekends and sells them plenty, I think a bit like your homemaker shop. Now as Professional Plumbers who actually care about what we do and how we do it I say it is criminal to suggest what this guy is saying. The sooner you get out of this trade the sooner we can get out there and rescue the poor homeowners you have ripped.
    Thank you for your valuable insight.
    Maybe you should read the whole thread before you post, because you are coming in on the tail end of a conversation that you have no idea about. Either that, or you are functionally retarded.

Comment

Inferior pipe or not, I would never attempt to fill voids, torn threads, flat topped threads, galled threads or any thread that was not cut as close to perfect as my equipment allows which is pretty damn perfect. If you are having trouble achieving perfect threads then it's time to change dies and or adjust the machine properly and if hand threading perhaps change your technique. Nor will I use any fitting that does not visually pass inspection either. TM may have rubbed some the wrong way but he is IMO correct in his assertion that no one that does steel pipe for a living should be making up for bad threads by packing it with tape and dope. Tape is not allowed here at all for gas work.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Inferior pipe or not, I would never attempt to fill voids, torn threads, flat topped threads, galled threads or any thread that was not cut as close to perfect as my equipment allows which is pretty damn perfect. If you are having trouble achieving perfect threads then it's time to change dies and or adjust the machine properly and if hand threading perhaps change your technique. Nor will I use any fitting that does not visually pass inspection either. TM may have rubbed some the wrong way but he is IMO correct in his assertion that no one that does steel pipe for a living should be making up for bad threads by packing it with tape and dope. Tape is not allowed here at all for gas work.
        Pretty much
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

On gas pipe, I use Rector Seal No. 5 for all my gas pipe installs. I use tape and pipe dope on the clean out plugs. The threads on most plugs and clean out ferrules are a bit sloppy and I do not want any leaks.

I did have a home inspector write up a water heater install I did for not using the so called yellow gas teflon tape. I arranged to meet with this home inspector along with the local plumbing inspector. The plumbing inspector asked the home inspector for his plumbing license, when the home inspector said he is not a plumber, the plumbing inspector told him to leave plumbing inspections to him then.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

When cutting My own threads , they're always perfect! I just run a little spit on the threads. Of course,I'm a leg up on most mortals here, Myself
            Last edited by toolaholic; 07-27-2011, 04:32 PM.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I like to cut them using a 3 corner file. takes awhile but it's so satisfying
              sigpic

Comment

The hell with threading just weld it and be done.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  I like to cut them using a 3 corner file. takes awhile but it's so satisfying
                  Google Images

Faster, and you get to weld like Tozzi suggested.

Comment

I have a vicious sun burn on both arms from welding a boat trailer yesterday. You would think a welding instructor would know better than to weld in a tee shirt Do as I say damnit not as I do
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                      What type pipe are you using those tools with? Please dont tell me steel pipe.
                      You would braze copper.
                      Sarcasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Really.
                        Is your name Jeff Cole?
                        Urban Dictionary: jeff cole

Because you are really making me think you are just a d bag that can't let something go.
                        Yes I use tape and dope, and tried to make a light hearted joke when NHmaster said he threaded using a file.
                        If you are really this hell bent on shadowing every post I make in this thread then I am done responding to you, as you are just a troll and not worth feeding.

If you have some other derogatory thing to say to or about me, just private message me because this is a waste of the forums.
                        But don't, because, I deal with pricks all day at work and come here for advice and stuff like that, not a dick measuring contest.

Comment

Working...
                        X