Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape, and dope

J
    Last edited by stolen; 07-23-2011, 01:22 AM.

Re: Tape, and dope

I have had no problem with using just rector seal #5.

Comment

4 tight raps tape and dope,for Me. With this combo You can back of 1/4 turn and never have a gas leak.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thé bit of gas iv done we always just used permetex but id think tape and dope is fail proof thats what we did when i was sprinkler fitting.

Comment

Tape and dope and you are good to go. I would use Blue Monster tape and Gasoila dope.

Comment

k
            Last edited by stolen; 07-23-2011, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
              Your boss is right. Use the time that your putting the tape on instead to check for proper threads. Using both is really a waste of time and material. It can cause inexperienced workers to overtighten the joint stressing it and breaking it later.
              I agree. Use a good quality pipe dope only- without tape. Thread quality is very important especially in the larger pipe sizes. I only use tape when connecting directly to the appliance just so I don't get pipe dope in the screen.

Don't try to cut costs using a less expensive fitting supplier. There's a lot of crappy foreign products on the market these days. The money you save up front won't pay off if you have to change one 90 in the middle of the line because it cracked.

Comment

I'm in the Rector Seal #5 camp also. Tape is for homeowners and apprentices
                sigpic

Comment

No tape on gas piping!!!!! I like BlueBlock or Rectum Seal.

Comment

I say dope as well....have never used tape on gas fittings...seems like a waste of time to me. A good dope will give you a good seal.
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I've used just dope, just teflon tape and a combo of both on pipe up to 1.25". Good threads is all that was important. I like teflon tape because I don't make a huge mess with it, but mostly I use pipe dope because it is always in the toolbox.

You know when the pipe is going together bad! Take it apart and fix what ever is causing the fitting to not feel right.

Comment

On lines 2-1/2" and above we've had good luck with Superdope http://www.argco.com/store/main.aspx...l&item=1010086

Comment

I like tape and blue block. I learned this from a great book written by a Berkley plumber. Plumbing a house by Peter Hemp.
                          Many experienced plumbers have written good reviews on His book. Works for Me and as Peter says " You can back off a fitting and never have a leak with this way ".
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Name:  2c8dec8a694fcf210feee5bb389e226a.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  18.1 KB No need for anything else. Tried and true. Rectorseal # 5.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Teflon tape isn't allowed on gas piping in our state.

It's all Rectorseal #5 for me as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X