• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas pipe, galvanized or black iron

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t18505/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      gal pipe for all exposed work. black tends to rust or need painting.

rick.
      In UPC country, if you use black in an exposed situation you have to paint it with both a primer and finish coat.

Comment

Per the 2010 CPC (refer 2009 UPC), drip legs are now required on all gas connections. Gas providers most be concerned with the purity of their product.

Comment

Dan, You know who,wanted a drip leg on every 90! Didn't happen. Now do You You understand why they keep him in the office ?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
            Black Steel. Galvanized Steel is for water around here. No bushing either, only reducer couplings.

I heard the reason galv isn't allowed for gas is the possibility that someone might pull a nipple or whatever off the gas line, and maybe use it elsewhere. Which wouldn't be so bad except for the chemical they put in gas to make it stink supposedly isn't really good for drinking water..
            True? False? I don't know but it's a good enough reason for me!

Comment

So which is better, black Iron or CSST? Haaaaaa
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                So which is better, black Iron or CSST? Haaaaaa
                The old yellow CSST or the new and improved Black CSST???

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                  The old yellow CSST or the new and improved Black CSST???
                  The yellow stuff is actually good. We use it to bundle up old pieces of pipe, scrap pvc and stuff, then throw it in the trash.

Comment

Sorry to bring up the old topic. Recently faced a similar problem and this is what I want to say.

This comes up a lot, so let me give the definitive "non-answer" for the use of galvanized for natural gas lines in the United States.

Per the national fuel code it may be allowed or it may be prohibited.

Helpful? Not really.

Turns out that natural gas, is a mixture of many different gasses and that composition can vary widely from area to area or even over time as different sources of supply are bringing gas to a particular market area. Some of those gas supplies may contain trace amounts of Sulfur compounds that can be highly corrosive to galvanized and copper. If there is even a POTENTIAL for high sulfur content in the gas stream then the national fuel code Prohibits copper gas lines.

Your go-to "expert" for this issue is your natural gas supplier (Local gas distribution company) who can tell you if they allow galvanized, discourage galvanized, or prohibit galvanized gas lines on the customer side of the meter. If you live in a locality that has building codes and/or inspectors, you will want to check with them as well.

That being said I can say the following with certainty:

Properly threaded black pipe is allowed to be used (at pressures of 5 psi or less) for natural gas. Assuming it's sized properly and installed in the correct manner, it will provide years of good trouble-free service.

Hydraulic hose is not an approved natural gas piping material. Not saying it won't work. Not saying it's not safe. Just saying your gas company might have to redtag you if they see it depending on their procedures.

Good luck!

Comment

My gas provider, P.G.& E. (which may niot be for very much longer if they get blamed for the Camp fire), occasionally uses galvanized nipples at their meters. I plumbed a Carl's Junior restaurant years ago where the traveling superintendent for them said galvanized was not allowed as gas piping. He said the zinc used in galvanizing can detach from the pipe and clog the screens on the appliance regulators.

Comment

Working...
                      X