Gas pipe, galvanized or black iron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas pipe, galvanized or black iron

I'm troubled with this conundrum,please help Me !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Gas pipe, galvanized or black iron

I'll use either depending on the installation location. Outside or ina crawlspace here I want galvy and inside black iron is ok. I typically use copper when I can.

Comment

You have to check your state and local codes. Here we can not use galvy for gas at all. Neither can we use close nipples, cast iron fittings, steel couplings, reducing bushings or teflon tape
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        You have to check your state and local codes. Here we can not use galvy for gas at all. Neither can we use close nipples, cast iron fittings, steel couplings, reducing bushings or teflon tape
        Thats right check local codes. We cant use bushings either. Teflon is ok but no one I know uses it. I suspect the reason we can use glavy is because its so freakin humid here and even hanging pipe will rust away. The salt in the air eats away at it along with the humidity. Even the gas supplier uses galvy and they paint the assembly with silver spray paint.

Comment

Black Steel. Galvanized Steel is for water around here. No bushing either, only reducer couplings.
          Will Rogers Plumbing
          Moore, Oklahoma
          (
          405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
          http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

gal pipe for all exposed work. black tends to rust or need painting.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Here wé Can only usé black steel not even loud to use galvanized on water systems "unless repairing an existing system" for code it must be painted if outside. No street ninties only steel bushings cant be nested "bushing in a bushing" plyethelene or anode pertected copper type l can be buried. We are aloud to use gas tape but i rarely see it. Of course soft copper, wardflex or gastite are used inside lots, especially condos.

Comment

Thanks for bringing up street fittings. They are a no no here also.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  I'm troubled with this conundrum,please help Me !
                  Is that you Kevin Jones?

LOL-Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Holy christ..no street fittings or close nipples?

Everything is pretty much fair game here, EXCEPT no teflon tape for any steel pipe carrying natural gas.

Only time I see galvanized for gas is outside applications. It's all black pipe on the inside around our area.

Comment

Do any locations make a distinction between hot dipped galvy and electroplated galvy???

We can use electroplated galvy for gas around here*shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        Is that you Kevin Jones?

LOL-Mark
                        I'm busted , Me bad Irishman. Sorry Paw!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Lets just say all my gas pipe is painted grey, I wont tell you what is under the paint though

Comment

black steel here. Never copper. No bushings or teflon. I use True Blue dope or megaloc (if I can't find the can of true blue or it's hardened up too much! ) Some guys use LACO Slic-tite which has teflon in it....so *shrug* i dunno. I believe that close nipples and streets are ok, but I avoid them whenever possible. Honestly it has never come up at a code review or cont. ed for me. Just word of mouth from the local inspectors and other plumbers. I do what my father and his father and his father have done and have never had any issues. the state inspector just mentioned that bushings were not going to be allowed a few years ago. The trouble with the bushings is that they crack easily. I still haven't seen anything in writing about it....nor about black vs. galvanized.

The debate on galvy vs. black steel seems tired. It seems each region has it's own take based on climate/weather

The black steel pipe here (used on gas and hydronic heating systems) is usually better looking that the galvanized water lines (especially domestic hot water).

Comment

Most all of the fittings that come with stainless steel gas connectors are threaded on the inside and out making them both fip and mip just like a bushing. But bushing are not legal fo me. I have some brass bushings that are long and are not threaded in the same place in side and out. This allows for full thickness and cutting the threads did not make the fitting wall thin.

Comment

Working...
                              X