X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling tub units

Has anyone installed the new Sterling tub-shower unit? I put two in for a guy that bought them himself. They changed the way the side walls attach to the back wall. They go in easy enough, but don't try to pull them out. What a frickin ordeal!
    Just wondered if anyone has a better unit that they install?
    Thanks.

Re: Sterling tub units

I think the engineers forget that we have to put the wall up and take some measurments for the valve and spout. Then when you have the holes drilled, you have to try to put the wall in over the valve and nipple for spout.
    I just don't get why they changed from the old way??
    If it was easy, my wife would be doing it!!! I guess.

Comment

When we did new work ages ago, Sterling tubs were ALL we installed.

In the last few years, we continued to install Sterling tub & walls, and we have had the same problem with the walls, so you're not alone in your frustration.

My father installed a tub&wall unit in our house when we were teenagers back in the late 80's, and the unit still looks impeccable after all these years.

I do like the old style versus the new style today.

Comment

I have to say, they did beef up the unit pretty well, and the feet on the tub are very solid. Just don't like what they did to the walls.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
          Speak of the Devil. I'm installing one of the new units tomorrow and now you have me concerned. lol

Maybe use some grease on the pegs where they lock into the unit? Whats the deal on why they are hard to get apart?
          Using grease will do absolutely nothing, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either.

Make sure the knockouts (where the pegs lock in to the side wall) are cleaned out from the extra fiberglass formed from the factory. (You will see what I'm talking about once you take it out of the box).

Unlike the older units, these units don't like "out of square" tub pockets for some reason. Start practicing your curse words tonight, cause you will be using them tomorrow.

Comment

Everything is pretty much the same, but these units like someone said before, are a little more beefier.

Every single new style we have installed gave us fits so far, lot's of messing around.

You will see tomorrow....come back and report on what you think.

Comment

Did ya get her in? Those walls are just weird, the way they slide in and connect. I just had a hard time, and was po'd because they changed from the old way.

On the side wall with the valve, I went to take it back out to cut the holes, I hurd something pop, like I broke it. I didn't see anything, but it sure sounded bad

Master, hope your install went good.

Comment

The big thing with these Sterling units is that the rough opening must be square and plumb in every direction. You will go nutz trying trying to shoe horn them into crappy opening.
                sigpic

Comment

You are very correct. We had to fur one wall and shim it in. Took me two or three hours longer than normal.

Comment

Master, how did the wall on the valve side go in? That is the one I had the most problem with.
                    Did you get the job done in 5 hours ?

I knew you probably wouldn't have any problems! lol.

Comment

Looks good. Sterling units are kind of a love/hate thing with me but I think that given what else is out there for the remodel market, Sterling is about the best there is. Make suure that you thouroughly inspect the walls and the base very carefully before taking delivery. I have had quite a few come through with both major and minor cracks and damage though it looks like Kohler has re-thought the packaging and lately there are not so many rejects.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X