Water Up Through Garage Floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water Up Through Garage Floor

If they want free they deserve the situation they are in. If I were them, I'd call my insurance agent and say "I've got a damage situation caused by flooding water. And, stop wasting the valuable time of a professional. In most HO policies, flooding water damage is the only water damage that is covered. Claims adjusters are paid to exercise the loop holes in their policies to the benefit of the insurance co vis-a-vis the policy holder.
    Last edited by Plumbus; 08-04-2011, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
      If they want free they diverse the situation they are in. If I were them, I'd call my insurance agent and say "I've got a damage situation caused by flooding water. And, stop wasting the valuable time of a professional. In most HO policies, flooding water damage is the only water damage that is covered. Claims adjusters are paid to exercise the loop holes in their policies to the benefit of the insurance co vis-a-vis the policy holder.
      Most homeowners insurance policies do not cover water damage from rising water due to rain or underground springs. It will cover damage caused by a mechanical failure and the damage caused to the home in order to repair the failure. It typically does not cover the cost of the pipe repair.

Typically flood insurance is a seperate policy......and its expensive.

Comment

Dig a french drain around the perimeter of the home and below the footings. Let the french drain dump into a basin with suitable pump to discharge the ground water away from the house. With a high water table you will also need to concrete the basin into the ground or it can pop out of the ground like a cork in water.

If it was sewage it would smell like sewage and you would be getting drain flys most likely. It sounds like hydraulic pressure is pushing ground water out of the cracks.

Sounds like they built a house in a bowl....like the city of New Orleans. If so they might be fighting a losing battle....especially if its an underground spring. If you sealed up the cracks in the gargae I bet it would start coming into the house assuming its 4" higher than the garage floor or you say they pour the garage floor seperate so it would start leaking where the garge floor meets the walls.

Comment

Based on what you said, no meter movement, etc. I would be at a point that I would core a hole right through the garage floor and see what comes up and how fast. If you have rapid water rising out of the core, you have an excellent opportunity to pull a sample and have it tested for waste stream organics, etc... At least that way you can isolate out the sewage system.

I'm sure you have thought about Snaking a video through the sewer runs to the street to see if you have any cracks in the lines. How old is this tract? Clay or ABS?

Ground water can certainly rise. Has anyone talked to the city to find out if they know what the local water levels are in this tract area? Was the City using a local well supply and then switched to another source. That can cause the water level to rise. Also has the city had any issues with mains in the area, going back at least three months. It can take three months even longer for water issues in the ground to surface someplace else.

I feel for you when it comes to charging the customer. I was at a Hotel project two days ago when the Executive Housekeeper, (who knew we are a plumbing firm) grabbed me and started asking me questions almost identical to what you are describing. I went to her office, pulled up her house in Google Satellite view and had her point to me the problems. I told her before we would come out to record her meter before she went to bed and the following morning when she got up. Also to talk with her neighbors on the upper slope of her property line, and do the same meter recordings. I told her if she wanted us out there it was $95.00 per hour to trouble shoot and it could take days.

Comment

I check water like that for chlorine. If it has chlorine in it I know I'm not dealing with rain or ground water. Sewage would stink....I dont think its sewage. ground water can stink but sewage has its own smell. No water meter movement and I'm assuming no high water bill.

They have a mess....hopefully it is a leak with the plumbing but it doesn't sound like it based off what ol dirtybutt I mean dirtyhands has posted. J/k with you dirtyhands! And if thats what you guys call monolithic then so be it........here monolithic means everything poured at once. When a foundation is poured here and its not what we call monolithic the footings are poured and then concrete blocks are laid. Fill dirt is installed and compacted,rebar,vapor barrier then the slab is poured and concrete fills the block. We call that a floating slab. Your way could still be considered monolithic if when the footings for the garage were poured they left rebar extended out into the garage floor so when it was poured the two would be joined. otherwise the garge floor is just floating there not atttached to anything.

Comment

The house we did that had the sewer flies, and water seeping up through the crack between the driveway and the garage, the water did not stink at all. And neither did the house.

But it was 100% sewage. And when we busted up the floor to remove what was left of the cast iron WYE, the dirt was black and DID stink. But that's a given, just don't rule out the possibility of it being from the sewer just because it doesn't smell.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                The house we did that had the sewer flies, and water seeping up through the crack between the driveway and the garage, the water did not stink at all. And neither did the house.

But it was 100% sewage. And when we busted up the floor to remove what was left of the cast iron WYE, the dirt was black and DID stink. But that's a given, just don't rule out the possibility of it being from the sewer just because it doesn't smell.
                Let it pool up in a hot garage and see what it smells like.

Comment

This particular problem, it had no chance to pool, as it was such a slow seepage, and so damn hot outside that it just couldn't.

You can use "if" all day long, just putting out there what I have seen, and know for a fact. Just because it doesn't smell, doesn't mean it's not sewage.
                  Every situation is different, just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                    This particular problem, it had no chance to pool, as it was such a slow seepage, and so damn hot outside that it just couldn't.

You can use "if" all day long, just putting out there what I have seen, and know for a fact. Just because it doesn't smell, doesn't mean it's not sewage.
                    Every situation is different, just saying.
                    I've never found a sewage leak that was so bad that it had sewer flies coming out with seepage and its hot....but didn't smell. Maybe your customers Sh$t doesn't stink. lol

What was wrong with the cast iron wye? The rest of the cast was stil good but the wye was bad? No-hub or lead joints?

Comment

It was only half a wye actually, the top half.
                      And honestly it didn't really smell in the house. At all. But they said they killed 1000 or so flies a day. And when I was busting up the floor they were pouring out of the holes I was drilling. It was pretty insane. There was so many flies coming out that if you opened your mouth you wouldn't have to take a lunch break.

Comment

Customer needs a soils engineer! Case closed
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Any news Adam?
                          Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc. View Post
                            Any news Adam?
                            Heading over their on tues.,be a good chance for us to hang out again.Shall we say 7:00?

Comment

Most folks don,t have exposure to geo techs.l have.as a union pile buck,and as agen. Cont in a seismic area building large retaining walls. After determining this isn't a plumbing leak, it,s time for a geo tech.they will find the cause and represent you to a responsible party ,if there is one.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                                Most folks don,t have exposure to geo techs.l have.as a union pile buck,and as agen. Cont in a seismic area building large retaining walls. After determining this isn't a plumbing leak, it,s time for a geo tech.they will find the cause and represent you to a responsible party ,if there is one.
                                What I find amazing is how the good Lord has put me in contact with the right people as needed.Since I was in High School We've had a freind in our loop.His company of 50 employees and hundreds of outside contractors does all that Erin Brockovich testing stuff so companies know how they are affecting the environment.Did a new gasline for one of his upper tier guys,he's gonna call me when he gets back from his vacation on Sunday.

Tues. is confirming no pool or pond at upper elevation.Condesate draining through primary properly.Last is pulling a toilet and filling waste to top of slab.

Comment

Working...
                                X