Water Up Through Garage Floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Up Through Garage Floor

Water is gathering on the surface of 1/3 of garage floor from rear 6" step at garage to house wall down to rollup door and driveway.Driveway is dry

Symptoms:
    -problem revealed itself three days ago
    -Meter not moving
    -Open last comby before sewer in garage shows adequate flow from each fixture and bathroom
    group.Backwater valve functioning properly(house on sloping tract) .
    -Entire tract of homes has an element of poor soil percolation.
    -No hill on any side to provide runoff.
    -Neighbor to south property is elevated 5'.Need to verify no ponds or pools.
    -No meter movement with uphill neighbor.
    -No water in home,only garage.
    -water comes through cracks in slab and puddles at lower end of garage.

FYI:
    When a group of tract homes are poured on pour day the footings and interior living space slab are poured first on all the homes in the day's set(this provides a level stem wall for garage framing).The garage interior formboards are then stripped and the garage floor is then poured.This refered to as monolithic pour.Visqueen is only layed under occupied section of home(this is why your beautiful epoxy floor bubbles up with lime during the wet season).Which is why the driveway is dry,the water seems to remain encapsulated inside the boundries of the footings.

I'll try to stay close to the owner no matter the direction for feedback.I've already explained to them the properties of french drain and dewatering systems,although very likely unnecessary.

I was on the phone last night to the "You Know Who's"

Your Thoughts?

Re: Water Up Through Garage Floor

There isn't a water tower in the area, especially up hill is there?

Comment

Are air conditioners are running over time putting out a ton of water

Comment

you don't say

nice post, have you not learned how to take photos with the new phone

see you saturday at the bear pit

you know who

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Monolithic pour means all at one time. Your description doesn't sound monolithic. It seems that you may have ground water coming up in the garage. Thats not a plumbing problem......bill'um and move on.

Comment

I assume house is not new and this is a first occurrence.
            Any neighborhood events (like a stuck lawn sprinkler solenoid) in the days previous to the first sign of water?
            Have you checked the irrigation controls of the uphill neighbor for faulty function or programming?
            Is the buildup of water continuous and steady or does it fluctuate?
            Any neighbors reporting similar condition, past or present?

Good mystery, Sherlock. Need to dig deeper. At present, there's not enough information to make a wag or a swag.

Comment

You are wrong about monolithic pour Master, it means no stemwalls, not everything all at once.

And, I'm drawing blanks as to the problem. We had a situation similar to that, and the house was INFESTED with sewer flies. Old house though, was a broken piece of cast iron under the slab and it had saturated everything so bad, that it just showed up finally, at the driveway.

But if you already know it's not the water lines, plug up the sewers, pull toilets cap them, cap floor drains and fill up the sewer with watre. If it goes down, then it's the sewer, if not, then it ain't the plumbing.

Comment

I would suggest the use of dye in the sewer to completely rule it out.

Rain lately? South AZ is in middle of monsoon season. Flat roof? garage only; might be related to run off, down spouts.

I also would check AC condensation drains.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                  You are wrong about monolithic pour Master, it means no stemwalls, not everything all at once.

And, I'm drawing blanks as to the problem. We had a situation similar to that, and the house was INFESTED with sewer flies. Old house though, was a broken piece of cast iron under the slab and it had saturated everything so bad, that it just showed up finally, at the driveway.

But if you already know it's not the water lines, plug up the sewers, pull toilets cap them, cap floor drains and fill up the sewer with watre. If it goes down, then it's the sewer, if not, then it ain't the plumbing.

Slab-on-grade foundation

As the name suggests, a slab is a single layer of concrete, several inches thick. The slab is poured thicker at the edges, to form an integral footing; reinforcing rods strengthen the thickened edge. The slab normally rests on a bed of crushed gravel to improve drainage. Casting a wire mesh in the concrete reduces the chance of cracking. A slab on grade is suitable in areas where the ground doesn't freeze, but it can also be adapted with insulation to prevent it from being affected by the frost heaves. (see below)

In summary:
                  • Slab on grade used in areas where ground does not freeze.
                  • The edges of the slab-on-grade are thicker than the interior of the slab.
                  • The slab-on-grade is monolithic (poured all at one time).
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>

Here is the link to the website. http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/foundations.htm

Comment

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
                    From what he describes, it's monolithic. Yes, your little copy pasted thing says EXACTLY what you said, but your perspective is wrong on it.

Monolithic is no stemwalls, just everything all at once, garage floors that are sunk lower than the slab, would HAVE to be poured at a different time, does not mean the slab isn't monolithic, as it itself was all poured at once. The only reason you can pour the garage floor, and slab on a traditional stemwall house, is the stemwalls are already set, on a monolithic pour, you would be cementing the form in.
                    Last edited by stolen; 08-02-2011, 09:30 PM.

Comment

From what he describes, it's monolithic. Yes, your little copy pasted thing says EXACTLY what you said, but your perspective is wrong on it.

Monolithic is no stemwalls, just everything all at once, garage floors that are sunk lower than the slab, would HAVE to be poured at a different time, does not mean the slab isn't monolithic, as it itself was all poured at once. The only reason you can pour the garage floor, and slab on a traditional stemwall house, is the stemwalls are already set, on a monolithic pour, you would be cementing the form in.
                      Read the definition. Its fact. You are entitled to call it what you want but the facts are the facts. Read them and understand them. Then call it what you want. We can leave it at that and agree to disagree.

Sorry but a lower garage floor does not have to be poured at a different time. How do you think concrete steps are poured????/One at a time???? LOL

Here is another link that will even show you it being built in animation. Wonderful. http://monumentmasonry.com/monolithi...e-newsletters/

Thats whats up.
                      Last edited by TheMaster; 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Plumbus;353641]I assume house is not new and this is a first occurrence. Correct
                        Any neighborhood events (like a stuck lawn sprinkler solenoid) in the days previous to the first sign of water? Not Known
                        Have you checked the irrigation controls of the uphill neighbor for faulty function or programming?No contact as of now
                        Is the buildup of water continuous and steady or does it fluctuate?steady,owner dried floor before bedding down,same water amount in the morning.
                        Any neighbors reporting similar condition, past or present?Not Known

Good mystery, Sherlock. Need to dig deeper. At present, there's not enough information to make a wag or a swag. Gonna get quite while they poke around looking for an answer from another source.City was out and said "Yup,you got a seapage problem.G-Bye.I asked the owners if the city even tried to offer scenarios...No.
                        Let them know about camera [/QUOTE]

Comment

Smooth and correct

Comment

Not sure on your problem adam but I'm siding with TM on the definition of monolithic. Have you tried leak detection to see if you hear anything?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Not sure on your problem adam but I'm siding with TM on the definition of monolithic. Have you tried leak detection to see if you hear anything?

Ben.
                              I could give a Rat's *** if the whole industry calls it monolithic for my entire thirty years in and one(Chose explative) wants to call it something else.

The meter's not moving and my time is valuable.
                              FYI:I did a slow drip test to verify sensitivity of meter.

Some great suggestions guys I really appreciate the feedback.
                              The condensates have been ran underslab in the eighties,not allowed any more.They didn't appear comfortable with me looking through the house for the drain.Possible closet horders.

I like the filling up of the waste system,possibly with a very heavy die.being that there is such a large volume of water under the slab.Perhaps if/when they have me back out we'll be able to reach that point in the diagnosis web.They're shopping for free information now.
                              Last edited by drtyhands; 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X