Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

not quite plumbing but someone might know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not quite plumbing but someone might know?

i was taught some time ago that when running a natural gas line that you must use "black pipe" only. i have to rerun a line in an old house and my local plumbing supply joint is trying to lead me to believe that galvanized pipe can be used in whole or in conjunction with black pipe. is this true or should i stick to black pipe?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I'm not a plumber so I can't answer that question. However, there is another possible solution. One of our divisions makes a product called Tracpipe which is flexible gas piping. I'm sure it is more expensive than black pipe, but it makes the installation especially in retrofit situations much easier. I'm not sure it has been approved for use in all areas, but "This Old House" has even used it. You can check it out at www.omegaflex.com
    Mark

Comment

I am not a plumber, but have run some gas pipe. you can use black or galvanized, and mix or match. The trac-pipe is more expensive as to the cost of parts compared with pipe. But the labor is less expensive. I suggest contacting a contractor in your area that is familiar w/trac-pipe and discuss your options. It may be that is will be less expensive to hire the job done w/trac-pipe.

Douglas Hicks
      General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

Comment

Galvanized pipe is nothing more than black pipe with a galvanized coating on it. The only reason to use galv. pipe to run a nat. gas line would be if that is all you have available to use. Why spend the extra money and receive no benefit for doing so?
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

hmmm. (im not a plumber)
          but i think that all pipes what used in gas lines (oxygen, argon, acetylen etc.) are stailess steel (rustproof steel) ....I mean pipes waht are used in here finland (northern europe)

Comment

You really should not use galvanized pipe in gas lines. The reason I say this is because sometimes the supplier will give you "cheap" galvanized pipe, which will flake off inside and sometimes go downstream causing headaches in gas valves and whatnot. As for the flexible gas lines, they have been on the market for quite some time and are much easier with installation providing you have the special tools required to install them. I am fairly sure they originated from Japan as a solution to their many earthquake problems. Since the pipe is flexible it will not rupture.

Comment

Working...
            X