Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you old school?

Originally posted by stolen View Post
    I still use a hacksaw to cut pipe. PVC, while not really old school give me a break!
    Also still cut and thread my gas pipe.
    Cuss like a son of a b... Eat lunch at mcdonalds. Cuss about that. Trying to fend off my plumberscrack, but it's a losing battle..

And don't get started on divining rods. I keep mine next to my giant bag of bullsh!t.
    What's up with divining rods? As an excavator who has to find underground water lines all the time, I use them. We use a Metrotech 810 for tracing steel water lines but poly or PVC won't trace. What are you insinuating?

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
      What's up with divining rods? As an excavator who has to find underground water lines all the time, I use them. We use a Metrotech 810 for tracing steel water lines but poly or PVC won't trace. What are you insinuating?
      How do the rods pick up the PCV/Poly pipes?

Two of my late uncles were good at this but I was under the impression from them that the rods found steel and copper lines due to them disrupting the local magnetic fields.

Comment

They don't do anything. They never have, never will.

J.C.

Comment

They will work with copper..I can even use just one .Using two though is cool watching them cross..Poly water services though..fuggetaboutit
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

well today was a good one. We got two and a half tons of lead delivered and now the slaves are beating it into sheets so we can begin making some pipe.

The other crew just rolled back in with a wagon load of crap they scraped from the pits.

Tomorrow we start on Ceaser's aquaduct project if the unions sign off and the permits come through.
            Last edited by NHMaster3015; 08-13-2011, 03:30 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
              They will work with copper..I can even use just one .Using two though is cool watching them cross..Poly water services though..fuggetaboutit
              Pretty good read about it from the past.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t29452/

J.C.

Comment

Im guessing diving rods are used for witching watermains , tried that meteoker success, what about saudering 1.5" copper to tailpeices when no brass slipjoints are available. Or using plumbers grease as sauder "actually seen that work" theres a fine line between old school and hack job the difference being old school usually works.... saw hoseclamps on poly b the other day works but i wouldnt do it...

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
                  Ahh sorry for the un clearity. What I ment to insinuate was that witching is bewlsheet.
                  Check out the link JC posted. Among somewhere in there is a video of a witching contest from "professional witchers" from, Australia I believe it was.

And NhMaster you're cracking me up. I realize you're old school, but damn son I didn't know you were THAT old.
                  I'd like some of the fixtures you're carving outta granite, that would be pretty sweet. Let me know how much, thanks!

Comment

Sorry, you must first render un to Ceaser what is Ceaser's
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      Anyone still use a Brace bit...or is that too old school?

I know the Amish here still use it.
                      LOL, The plumbing kit for Seabees doesn't have a drill but it does come with 2 braces.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Soldering a brass flange to a lead bend.

Comment

I am old school in the sense that I like things plumb and square. I would rather install pvc than cast iron for most dwv applications because it doesn't rot out from the acid in beer and pop. The vents don't fill up with rust flakes at tees and 90's. The bad thing though is the skill set associated with old materials is being lost, because too many non plumbers can install the modern materials, and the trade is being devalued.

Comment

Today, I wanted to peel our name off the truck, and hide it in the back of the supply house.

We had to install a water heater today, and the guy who hooked it up before us used those copper looking flex lines. Well, one of them leaked when I re-installed and had the heater filled up. I "thought" it had a pin-hole leak in it, and I NEVER carried ANY flexible hoses lines for water heaters. Well, it ended up being the top night wasn't tight, and on the way home we stopped at the supply house to pick up a few things.

Out in front they have "sharkbite" flexible hose lines for water heaters. Dad was like.."get a set to keep on your truck for an emergency". I looked at these things and was like.." I'm embarrassed to even hold these things in my hand". I was praying to god another Plumber didn't walk in as "thank god" we were the only ones in there. I was told quite a few Plumbers use them, but I'm just not ready to accept that yet.

So I understand what you mean Bogart.

Comment

Good-looking gun, there, Flux.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

I am a dumb welder, but I can pour a lead joint, use whipping (wicking or whatever you want to call it) to fix a leak or pack a valve, I can layout with a plumb bob and a carpenters square, and all kinds of other "secret old school" tricks. Why you ask, because I paid attention to the old timers, and watching them was like being paid in gold. I may be just a 30 year old kid, but I have worked for myself full time since I was 23 and part time for as long as I wanted to earn a buck. The tips and trick I have learned save me time and make me money, I am always on the search for more.

Comment

Working...
                                X