X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infared / laser thermometer

Looking for a decent laser to test water temperatures..I know you can use a thermometer.Tried a digital one from CVS the other day and it sucks ..Oh well it was only $6 ..I have an old needle style thermometer, it's all fogged up and can harly read it..The sparky on the job said he had a laser one ...Hmmmm ..But it wasn't on his truck so I could not fiddle with it..
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Infared / laser thermometer

I use a laser thermometer on the HVAC side of things but have had very bad luck using it for taking water temps... The laser thermometers do not work as well when used against shiny / reflective surfaces so taking shots of water out of a tap is hit and miss, stick with a digital stick thermometer.

Comment

I have the fluke laser thermometer. Not impressed honestly. if theres condensation on the pipe the numbers get pretty skewed.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

We use Extech Meters with built in IR and have no complaints:

EX622 - 400A Dual Input AC Clamp Meter + NCV + IR Thermometer

These units have a dual input so you get the benefit of IR for checking heat out of a solid object and a Dual K thermocouple probe that inserts into the unit that allows you to check liquids.

As a guy that deals in liquid ie: water treatment etc. on a daily basis, IR is worthless, you need a ThermoCouple probe.

Comment

About 6 years ago I spent $300 on a raytec, I'm pleased. I needed to core holes in My slab without drilling through My copper radiant pipes. Cranked up the boiler and found slab 6 degrees cooler between 3/8s tubes. Farriers, at race tracks use them also, picks up the High temp on a hoof at the start of problems. Mechanics use them on big truck radiators, Shows cool [blocked tubes]. In the air,factory,
          setting, It shows a hot bearing on a 3 phase motor. Mine can be plugged into a computer to log such use.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

my ir thermometer with laser spotter i use for drain cleaning

how you ask

when i snake out an upper unit fixture and can't get into the lower floor unit to verify that it's not backing up. i run hot water from the fixture and go into the garage below to shoot and aim at the waste pipe. with a couple shots of the laser and ir therm, i can determine if hot water is flowing and making it all the way to the garage. if not i have them shut it off

so now you know how a thermometer comes in handy for drain cleaning

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              I use a laser thermometer on the HVAC side of things but have had very bad luck using it for taking water temps... The laser thermometers do not work as well when used against shiny / reflective surfaces so taking shots of water out of a tap is hit and miss, stick with a digital stick thermometer.

Thanks , I was reding that you have to take a coffee can run a piece of masking tape down the inside and shoot for the tape..Sounds like a bunch of games .I agree on the hit or miss thing..Maybe for checking surface temps. but not running water
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                Okie, yep. Emissivity differences can skew the apparent temperature reading from actual temperature. (shiny). You can actually be getting the temperature of a reflected object if you're not careful. If you put a piece of duct tape on something and take the reading from that you can get more consistency. Something else to remember with the laser units is their sensor "senses in a conical pattern. So if you're further away from whatever you're reading you can take in hot spots, and cold spots and get an averaged overall temperature reading.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                X