ProPress Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProPress Problem

Just to show that I'm not just one sided on this issue I got a call today from a hotel about a problem. A new hotel at that. The maintenance guy said that he had a new 1" ProPress fitting blow apart and flooded the mechanical room. I told him that this was the first time I've ever heard of this, this is true for me. From what he described it could be operator error. He said that it didn't look like the 1" pipe was installed all the way into the fitting, maybe a half inch in. When I go I will take pictures and post it here.
    What he did say was that he wanted all the ProPress removed and to re solder all new? He said it goes up to 2" and it's for the boiler system. We'll see what I find, I'll let this board know. I just can't see ripping out all the new ProPress but if that's what they want I'll have to dig out the old torch I guess. This is a new customer for me.

Re: ProPress Problem

Good to have both skill sets and ways of doing things to offer options. Increased percentage of getting work.

J.C.

Comment

Whoa whoa maintenance man.

He wants to spend thousands of dollars because 1 incorrectly installed fitting blew off?

MY KIND OF GUY!

Comment

My two cents:

We have used ProPress / Viega fittings for five years now. From 1/2" - 4". Thousands of fittings. Never had a failure.

Where we have seen failures, been called on to consult/repair others or been instructed by Viega directly;

The two main reasons we have found for failure.
        1. Most failures are caused because the pipe was not inserted to the proper depth.
        2. The pipe was not filed on the outside. (You do this tappering so the -o- ring does not get cut when you slide the fitting in place)

Others:

1. The pipe was not properly Buffed with the (red) 3M pad.
        2. The pipe has a visable seam in it. (never saw a failure with this, however Viega told us of a few. Have rejected pipe from suppliers because it had a visable seam)
        3. Viega fittings were installed to close together, based on the pipe size requirements by Viega.

Comment

Though I still think Pro-Press is a wste of money, I'll bet on operator error. when I first bought the machine we put two pieces of 3/4 together with a coupling and tried pulling the joint apart with a pickup truck and a chain. the pipe ripped at the chain.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Though I still think Pro-Press is a wste of money, I'll bet on operator error. when I first bought the machine we put two pieces of 3/4 together with a coupling and tried pulling the joint apart with a pickup truck and a chain. the pipe ripped at the chain.
            I didn't get there today so I have nothing to show yet. Took the day off to work in the woods building a new deer blind. Had to take a much needed break and the woods was a perfect place to do it. Even though it's only the middle of August I can feel it in the air, fall is coming soon! YES! My favorite time of year.

Comment

i see his point it taking out all the old fittings because you dont know if there are other fittings ready to blow because they did not mark the depth on the pipe

i would see if they would let you do the repair with new press fittings and show them the right way of doing it
              Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 08-21-2011, 07:58 PM.
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I forgot to add to my previous post. I would contact the Viega Rep for the area and bring him to the job sight. If it truly is a Viega issue they will cover it under there warranty. Also its a good thing to have them along to back the product in front of the customer.

Comment

In more than 10 years time, we have never had a properly pressed fitting blow out.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                    I forgot to add to my previous post. I would contact the Viega Rep for the area and bring him to the job sight. If it truly is a Viega issue they will cover it under there warranty. Also its a good thing to have them along to back the product in front of the customer.
                    Viega is very good, in all my time using press fittings, I had 2 leaks, the very first one was sent back to viega, they cut it apart and analized it, it happened that I got a fitting with an air bubble in the oring, missed 3 quality checks, one in a million chance the rep told me, the other was my employees fault, reamer shaving on the back side. that was it. never had any other issues. I have a buddy, he had a leak because the pipe was not all the way in the fitting. not viegas fault
                    Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Working...
                    X