Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
One of the best things I ever bought for the plumbing business. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the best things I ever bought for the plumbing business.

Thought this would make an interesting thread for everyone as the title says it all.

About eight years ago, we were involved with a military project where we had to remove 100 cubic feet of GAC, (granular activated charcoal) from a filtration system. The job sight was highly classified and located, literally in the middle of no where. There was no way for us to get a vacuum truck out to this location, plus the GAC could not be transported off site without going through a lot of testing first.

Our fool proof down and easy extraction system could not be utilized on this job because we had only about 18 inches of clearance from the top of the tank to the roof line, and we were not allowed to penetrate the roof.

So I did some research and came up with one of these pump/vacuums made by Crusader.

Attachment

This thing has a vacuum on the top half that will suck the chrome of a trailer hitch and inside a garbage pump that will literally pump GAC with water (GAC has the granular size consistent with gravel you use in a fish tank if that helps with the visual) We sucked the liguid/GAC a distance of about 40' and pumped it up 10' to a collection bag. We pumped the tank empty in an hour. We had planned on a day.

Since that initial purchase this thing goes with us anytime we have to do a major service where we are opening up large industrial water lines, repairing valves etc...

One example how it saved us. Four years ago we were working on equipment located on the second floor of a five floor underground parking structure. We had a -o- ring on a 3" saddle clamp used for Signet Flow Meters blow out on us at 200psi. By the time we had the valves shut off there was easily a 1000 gallons of water in the parking structure and it was going toward elevators and emergency stairwells. We pulled out the Crusader, attached a 75' discharge hose, to a floor sink and used a concrete vacuum wand. We had all that water sucked and pumped in less then an hour.

The link to Crusader: CrUSAder Manufacturing :: Home
    Attached Files

Re: One of the best things I ever bought for the plumbing business.

When I read that it could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch I was going to ask for its number, but then remembered you were talking about a vacuum.

What did the Fan say to the Vacuum? You suck!
    What did the Vacuum say to the Fan? Blow ME!
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
    X