Just a Tip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a Tip

Maybe everyone knows this, but I find these all the time. Either slipped and disconnected over time or connected and leaking. Yes, a strap would have helped. But sometimes you can't get them to stop leaking no matter how tight you turn that ring.

I know sometimes your hands can get tied on a slab. Other than that, I would avoid them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CompressionShowerDrain.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	15335Click image for larger version

Name:	CompressionShowerDrain1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	15336

J.C.

Re: Just a Tip

lead and oakum

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
      Thats the only type I will use. Strap it and they dont come down. I've never had one leak either. I dunno man maybe your chasing after the same guy..?????LOL
      Could be. I find them now and again strapped properly and leaking. And other times I find this. Solvent weld.....can't remember the last one.

J.C.

Comment

I try never to use that shower drain.

Comment

i don't see too many fiberglass shower stalls. but i have changed a shower drains over the years on those.

just about everything for a shower is either a hot mop tile job or stone.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i don't see too many fiberglass shower stalls. but i have changed a shower drains over the years on those.

just about everything for a shower is either a hot mop tile job or stone.

rick.
            Now this is hillarious.
            A perfect example of how a few miles apart can make a total difference.
            All the house flippers out here are using the cheapest,weakest $69.00 shower pans they can find.With 3 plastic glue on sheets over greenboard.Won't even buy a drain in chrome,just white plastic.
            Scary,I won't do another one for these huge insurance liabilities.

Comment

I'm with themaster on that one. I like those brass drains, One of our supply houses carries toilet flanges that work on the same principal, Kind of nice setting a brass toilet flange. I do silicone that gasket before I push it in and tighten things up, Probably not supposed to, but it sure does work.
              Originally posted by NHMaster3015
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

JC, I run into a ton of leaking shower drains on fiberglass pans because people putty them in and the pan flexis, over time the nut loosens up. I have never had one pop out in your pic tho.

I use Davke drains for the replacement and silicone them in. never had a call back.
                Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Working...
                X