X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete Sink?

Ever run into one? only one drain cast into it. Thought it might interest some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	c8e104d15a2bac3124e7fcf164c89e60.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	15337Click image for larger version

Name:	c31f559de6b5efd399f1db89205c2045.jpg
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	15338

J.C.

Re: Concrete Sink?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Ever run into one? only one drain cast into it. Thought it might interest some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	c8e104d15a2bac3124e7fcf164c89e60.jpg
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	15337Click image for larger version

Name:	c31f559de6b5efd399f1db89205c2045.jpg
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	15338

J.C.
    That's one of the older ones. Almost every basement around here has an old concrete sink like that in it unless they've upgraded. I do a couple of replacements a month. No way do I try carrying them up the stairs. At one point in time I would bust them up and carry the pieces out in 5 gallon buckets, no more. I move them out of the way sliding them across the basement floor and tell the customer it's their problem.

Comment

Run into em' all the time..What's even funnier is when the customer wants to try and repair it
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        Run into em' all the time..What's even funnier is when the customer wants to try and repair it
        I have one of those going right now. The bottom is caving, and leaking and the right side has buckled and they put it back together with thin set. LOL. They're selling the house and don't want to replace it.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I've never seen a concrete one, but we have, in the exact style, some made of soap stone and some slate.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

There is still quite a few concrete laundry sinks in our area. They are a pain in the *** to work on as well.

Like others have said, bust it up, then carry it out.

Comment

Very common around here. Still can buy them Laundry Sinks - Creative-Terrazzo.com
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Have a single bowl type in my garage,been there since 1967,used aimost every day.
                Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Hardly ever see them here. This is the only one I recall. Interesting how the drain is cast into it. At least to me. There's a normal circular drain in both sides, but just one outlet in the center/bottom.

Sounds like some have seen tons of them.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Yeah last one I had a run in with was backing up ..A bottle cap was plugged right into the center drain....flushed it out and the homeowner was ever to happy
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

a single or double concrete tub was in every house here at one time. Most have been replaced but still see a few every now and then. The repair of choice around here seems to be roofing tar. The tailpiece is always brittle and you never want to touch it. I'll cut the galvanized vent stack to clear the drain rather than try to drop the trap under one of those.

Changing out a water heater I bumped the rusted out leg with the hand cart. It fell over broke into 4 pieces

Comment

we see something similar here, but usually in terrazzo. I'd kind of dig having one in my garage.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                        X