X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pro Press Questions

Hey I hope the crap can get approved but the problem is the enginners will not allow it. They want it all welded. If I could get that approved by the engineers I could make a substantial amount of money very easily. I'd by 20 of those press tools and have me a string of operators while I lay it out.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      It says that propress is for stainless pipe and copper......Seapress is for copper-nickel-iron fittings........Sanpress is for INOX stainless metric pipe and fittings......Profipress metric copper fittings

Here straight from Viega's warranty pdf.....

Subject to the conditions and limitations in this Limited Warranty, Viega LLC (VIEGA) warrants to wholesalers and licensed
      plumbing and mechanical contractors in the United States and Canada that its PROPRESS fittings, when properly installed in
      non industrial and non marine applications and under normal conditions of use, will be free of failure from manufacturing defect
      for a period of fifty (50) years from date of installation and that its PROPRESS valves, when properly installed in non industrial
      and non marine applications and under normal conditions of use, will be free of failure from manufacturing defect for a period of
      two (2) years from date of installation.
      When there warranty refers to industrial use, they are talking about liquids other then Potable water, as it was explained years ago by our Viega Rep. It has to do with the -O- ring. Potable water in an industrial application, for example potable water installed to boilers, etc... would be covered. Piping carrying industrial solvents would not.

I have had a couple of conversations with my guy over the last six months regarding other applications, primarily gas line installation, and Solar applications. He indicated to us that the company has in the works new -o- rings that can be swapped out in the fittings for different applications, but that they are not available in the US at this time.

For example in Solar applications we need the -o- ring to withstand temperatures up to 350 dgfh, I believe they are rated to 290 or close to that. With gas, although its approved for gas line installation when commercial and industrial customers have must below 0.25 grains / 100scf. of Hydrogen Sulfide present in the gas, we can't get any of our gas companies to guarantee the levels present so we don't use there gas fittings as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        Hey I hope the crap can get approved but the problem is the enginners will not allow it. They want it all welded. If I could get that approved by the engineers I could make a substantial amount of money very easily. I'd by 20 of those press tools and have me a string of operators while I lay it out.
        Find out who your Viega regional rep is. If you can't find it let me know and all get my guy to find out. You want something like that approved, you need to get them involved from the corporate level. You got to remember this company has been around for over forty years oversees and put a lot of money and political muster to get this product into the United States.

If you have a target market and they have the product that fits that market trust me they will go to bat. I saw it take place with the City of Los Angeles years ago. They flat out would not allow ProPress until Viega came in from the corporate level and did there "dog and pony" show.

Just remember, those Viega Reps, and for that matter any product rep is not just there to sell to our suppliers, there, there to provide guys like you and me field presence when we need it.

Case in point. My Viega guy has gas fitting approvals from the City of L.A. that he acquired back in 2009, because a bunch of us pressured them to make it happen.

Back in 1999 we were doing a high purity water treatment system were it was cost prohibitive and virtually impossible to use stainless piping. The only alternative was PEX. The only company that had the PEX we could use was RAHAU. Problem, they were just getting there feet wet in the US. We applied so much pressure to there local distributor that RAHAU stepped up to the plate, DHL express overnight product samples from Europe. To avoid customs hang ups they sent the product too us through there Canadian operation. Then they had there people come out to the job sight where we met with City and County inspectors, Fire Marshall's, Health and safety, it was a literal circle Jerk of inspectors, Distributors, Reps, Factory personal, myself and my key guys.

When the meeting was done, we had a blanket approval to use PEX anywhere we wanted, anywhere in the County of Orange.
        Last edited by Watersurgeon; 08-19-2011, 08:30 PM. Reason: Added additional info

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
          They do just as good a job, they just feel weaker. Like it's taking them longer to make the press.
          Go rent one of each and you'll know what I am talking about.

But that is a silly reason to not buy one, as it's just a prefrence thing to me. I used to own a cordless sawzall, but got me one of them small Ridgid fuego whatever ones thats about a foot long, corded and was one of the best purchases I made in a long time. Sure it has a cord, but you can use it with 1 hand and the batteries never die. And it's pretty powerful. But, I still use a cordeless drill.

If I do buy one it will be corded.I have the fuego too.cause dewalt doesn't come out with anything till someone else does , then it's bigger , heavier , and the batteries cost a fortune..The fuego is great but at only 4 amp..not that fuego
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
            Find out who your Viega regional rep is. If you can't find it let me know and all get my guy to find out. You want something like that approved, you need to get them involved from the corporate level. You got to remember this company has been around for over forty years oversees and put a lot of money and political muster to get this product into the United States.

If you have a target market and they have the product that fits that market trust me they will go to bat. I saw it take place with the City of Los Angeles years ago. They flat out would not allow ProPress until Viega came in from the corporate level and did there "dog and pony" show.

Just remember, those Viega Reps, and for that matter any product rep is not just there to sell to our suppliers, there, there to provide guys like you and me field presence when we need it.

Case in point. My Viega guy has gas fitting approvals from the City of L.A. that he acquired back in 2009, because a bunch of us pressured them to make it happen.

Back in 1999 we were doing a high purity water treatment system were it was cost prohibitive and virtually impossible to use stainless piping. The only alternative was PEX. The only company that had the PEX we could use was RAHAU. Problem, they were just getting there feet wet in the US. We applied so much pressure to there local distributor that RAHAU stepped up to the plate, DHL express overnight product samples from Europe. To avoid customs hang ups they sent the product too us through there Canadian operation. Then they had there people come out to the job sight where we met with City and County inspectors, Fire Marshall's, Health and safety, it was a literal circle Jerk of inspectors, Distributors, Reps, Factory personal, myself and my key guys.

When the meeting was done, we had a blanket approval to use PEX anywhere we wanted, anywhere in the County of Orange.
            I think Viega is the problem......they would consider ship building marine use. They want you to use seapress for that. These guys are running stainless and that would fall under propress and viega does not warranty propress for maine use. Now thats how I read it. Ask the rep if they warranty stainless propress in ship building for me. If they do I have some calls to make.

OK I did some searching around and I found stainless is covered under the marine warranty. Thats a good start. I found this in the approvals of the product for ship building.....This might be the reason the enginners will not allow it....
            .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................
            stipulated in 4-6-1/Table 1 of the SVR. 2. The components are to be installed in a
            location where leakage would not create a hazard by way of damage to electrical
            systems or otherwise create a hazard to the vessel, equipment of personnel
            onboard.
            Last edited by TheMaster; 08-19-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
              If I do buy one it will be corded.I have the fuego too.cause dewalt doesn't come out with anything till someone else does , then it's bigger , heavier , and the batteries cost a fortune..The fuego is great but at only 4 amp..not that fuego
              Google Images

that is the sawzall I am talking about. Go buy one. One handed, and shorter stroke means MUCH more control. Sure they aren't as powerful, but it's not always about having a 50 pound sledge to drive finish nails.

Comment

corded or not, they do the same thing. No difference. My next one will be a corded ONLY for the convenience of not having to charge batteries. Up here when things get to 40 or 50 below it's hell on batteries.

Comment

CT-400. Obsolete? And still under warranty?
                  Right

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                    Google Images

that is the sawzall I am talking about. Go buy one. One handed, and shorter stroke means MUCH more control. Sure they aren't as powerful, but it's not always about having a 50 pound sledge to drive finish nails.
                    I have one..the corded tool I was talking about wanting to buy is the corded pro press tool as opposed to the cordless propress tool..I think the fuego comes in a corless version as well now..I am still dewalt for all my cordless tools
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My Viega rep is a flaming sphincter.

When it comes to sawzalls you need two. One Milwaukee (not the super) for precision surgical work ( I can give a mosquito a vascetomy with mine ) and the other should be a Porter Cable. The big azzed one that has the orbiting action. I swear you can chop trees down with the damn thing. Both should have cords because cordless sawzalls end up flying across the room when the battery dies in the middle of a cut
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        My Viega rep is a flaming sphincter.

When it comes to sawzalls you need two. One Milwaukee (not the super) for precision surgical work ( I can give a mosquito a vascetomy with mine ) and the other should be a Porter Cable. The big azzed one that has the orbiting action. I swear you can chop trees down with the damn thing. Both should have cords because cordless sawzalls end up flying across the room when the battery dies in the middle of a cut

I carry two. My go to sawzall is the Dewalt cordless, I have lot's of batteries. My backup is my old trusty Milwaukee corded one. I swear I've had this one for way over 20 years. The cord was chopped in half by a falling piece of galvanized pipe I was cutting out of a ceiling. To this day I still can't believe it hit it just perfect to cut the cord in half but it did. Scared the crap out of me when sparks flew. I spliced the cord back together with wire nuts and black tape, still working just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                          Ok for the Pro Press Pros..

I am not fond of the cordless setups.So which corded model do you guys prefer?
                          the new cordless have more run time then you need .i would go with them so you dont have to fumble with cords
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The biggest thing as was mentioned before is make sure they are warm before using. Remember they are a hydraulic tool. Trying to use them out of a cold truck at 30 below will cause major problems. I like my cordless ProPress and will still use it most of the time for service even if I have the new 330C on the truck, which I will soon.

Comment

My torch works fine at 30 below and requires no warm up.....ever
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X