Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Press Questions

Ok for the Pro Press Pros..

I am not fond of the cordless setups.So which corded model do you guys prefer?

Which model have you guys experienced the least amount of problems with?

And which model can I most easily grow with..I mean if I start out with just being able to do 1/2", 3/4". 1" which model will offer the most versatility as I need bigger jaw sizes for 1 1/4" say to 2" ?

I amvery intrigued by the system and have to stop and look at the selection of viega fittings every time I'm at my supplier.What I did not see was ball / wastes valves , just reg. ball valves..I was too scared to ask what a 3/4" propress ball valve even cost..Any how was just curious.I am sure there are thousands of threads on the pro press thing , just trying to narrow things down..

Also you guys ever find yourself in a jam and end up sneaking in a sweat fitting because you ran out of propress fittings? Come on fess' up

Also have you ever done a job for a customer and they said "What the f*** is that?" like they didn't want it in their house? Or "WOW! How much extra did this job cost me for using that stuff"

I would like to keep this as debate free as possible ..I know good luck with that right. But I am just trying to gather as much info for myself as possible..Thanks again
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Pro Press Questions

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    Ok for the Pro Press Pros..

I am not fond of the cordless setups.So which corded model do you guys prefer?:
    When I pulled the trigger five years ago, I opted for cordless. I based that decision on many factors. We do mostly industrial, commercial work in some pretty confined areas, excessively high areas and some locations where power outlets are just not readily available. I did not want myself or my guys having to deal with cords. I looked at it as one more thing you would have to drag out of the truck or the safety factor of dragging a corded tool up a 15' or 20' ladder trying to press pipe overhead.

Which model have you guys experienced the least amount of problems with?:
    We use the 330-B complete kit, ½"-2" exclusively, and added on the 2½"-4" jaw kits.

And which model can I most easily grow with..I mean if I start out with just being able to do 1/2", 3/4". 1" which model will offer the most versatility as I need bigger jaw sizes for 1 1/4" say to 2" ?::
    330-B is all I can speak for.

I was too scared to ask what a 3/4" pro-press ball valve even cost:: :
    Current list price is around $45.00 for the 3/4 ball valve, we pay about $20.00 for it.

Also you guys ever find yourself in a jam and end up sneaking in a sweat fitting because you ran out of pro-press fittings?:
    No to sneaking in a fitting, yes to occasionally having to sweat a fitting, but using this rule of thumb;

"If the Jaws won't fit its time to sweat"

Also have you ever done a job for a customer and they said "What the f*** is that?" like they didn't want it in their house? Or "WOW! How much extra did this job cost me for using that stuff" :
    We make sure the customers know before we start the job what we are using. We include it in the bid package, and the specifications. Our pricing through our vendors is pretty competitive to regular copper. If the additional price comes into question we show them how its offset with shorter labor time.

Hope these answers help.

Comment

As for which tools are available in corded models, the choices are CT-400 and RP-330. Both will do up to 2" with jaws and 4" with rings.
      The CT-400 is obsolete, but it is the workhorse. It is heavy, and has a big barrel that doesn't rotate, but you can beat it to death and it just laughs and keeps crimping.
      The RP-330 is the new model. It is MUCH lighter and more compact, is much quieter, smoother and more comfortable. It isn't quite as rugged, though. The RP-330 has proven to be a very reliable tool.

Comment

My next purchase is the 330C Ridgid corded model, decided on that one after doing a ton of research. Most of my jobs are close enough to a plug in and frankly I'm tired of charging batteries.
        I use the Apollo ProPress valves, 3/4" costs me about 12 bucks each. Way cheaper than viega and the others. Nothing against Viega, that's what I use for fittings but dang their ball valves are expensive.

Comment

WOW ! Thanks for all the responses..That was another concern do you have to use viega for your propressing?..I'm guessing the answer is NO?

Comment

Nope, there are other manufactures putting out fittings and such like Nibco.

I can't believe you had the cajone's to bring this up again Poor Mark, Poor Mark
            sigpic

Comment

WOW ! Thanks for all the responses..That was another concern do you have to use viega for your propressing?..I'm guessing the answer is NO?
              The answer is actually you better check with the other manufactures and there warranty. Use Ridgid Pro-Press with Viega fittings, Viega gives you a forty year warranty.

I have talked with other manufactures of fittings in the past and non of them would warranty there fittings if pressed with a Ridgid gun, nor would they say it would not work...

I get enough of a discount on fittings that I don't need the headache on an insurance claim down the road.

Comment

Ain't it amazing how liability suits are preventing anyone from saying anything? I mean hell if you have a Roth tool who's fittings are you supposed to use? This is endemic of the CRAP that goes on in the manufacturing world today. Every damn thing needs to be "matched" You can only use Uponor pex with Uponor tools etc. Here's another plug for good old soldering. Cerro, Revere, Nibco ect don't give a crap who's torch, solder or flux you use because they warranty the COPPER not the method

Hooray....I win
                sigpic

Comment

Is my friend correct by telling me viega press fittings only have a 2 yr warranty for industrial uses????? He said they cant use it in the shipyards because its not approved???? They weld all their stainless steel.

So whats up? I thought the stuff had over a 40 year warranty.

Ok I looked it up and he was right........it has a two year warranty for industrial purposes and it has NO warranty for marine uses.

HMMMM Thats interesting.
                  Last edited by TheMaster; 08-19-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

HOORAY FOR THE SOLDER TEAM!

I'd personally get a cordless one if I had the money to buy one. I always get the house with the old 2 prong outlets, and it is usually 3 rooms away behind a pile of crap.

Plus, being cordless would make it that much faster. Even though they don't "feel" as strong when pressing. but I would get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      Is my friend correct by telling me viega press fittings only have a 2 yr warranty for industrial uses????? He said they cant use it in the shipyards because its not approved???? They weld all their stainless steel.

So whats up? I thought the stuff had over a 40 year warranty.

Ok I looked it up and he was right........it has a two year warranty for industrial purposes and it has NO warranty for marine uses.

HMMMM Thats interesting.
                      I am curions where you got your information on the warranty, because if you can point me to info that I don't have I would appreciate it. My Viega rep, and I will have a serious discussion on the subject because he has assured me over and over about the warranties.

From Viegas web sight: .

What is the warranty for ProPress?

ProPress fittings carry a 50-year warranty against defects in material and workmanship from the manufacturer, Viega,''

(used to be Forty, they added 10 years which gives me some marketing leverage)

The Radiant heat systems have a two year warranty.

-----------
                      Regarding Marine Use. Viega carries three different lines of appoved marine 'only' systems; Seapress, Sanpress INOX and Profipress.

Here is the link to the Marine Fittings: http://www.viega.net/productcatalog....oup24836203558
                      Last edited by Watersurgeon; 08-19-2011, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                        HOORAY FOR THE SOLDER TEAM!

I'd personally get a cordless one if I had the money to buy one. I always get the house with the old 2 prong outlets, and it is usually 3 rooms away behind a pile of crap.

Plus, being cordless would make it that much faster. Even though they don't "feel" as strong when pressing. but I would get over it.

So the cordless tools don't press as tight or they just feel weaker?

I am starting to hate cordless anything

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                          I am curions where you got your information on the warranty, because if you can point me to info that I don't have I would appreciate it. My Viega rep, and I will have a serious discussion on the subject because he has assured me over and over about the warranties.

From Viegas web sight: .

What is the warranty for ProPress?

ProPress fittings carry a 50-year warranty against defects in material and workmanship from the manufacturer, Viega,''

(used to be Forty, they added 10 years which gives me some marketing leverage)

The Radiant heat systems have a two year warranty.

-----------
                          Regarding Marine Use. Viega carries three different lines of appoved marine 'only' systems; Seapress, Sanpress INOX and Profipress.

Here is the link to the Marine Fittings: Viega Plumbing Products - press fittings, manifolds, PEX, piping, radiant flooring

It says that propress is for stainless pipe and copper......Seapress is for copper-nickel-iron fittings........Sanpress is for INOX stainless metric pipe and fittings......Profipress metric copper fittings

Here straight from Viega's warranty pdf.....

Subject to the conditions and limitations in this Limited Warranty, Viega LLC (VIEGA) warrants to wholesalers and licensed
                          plumbing and mechanical contractors in the United States and Canada that its PROPRESS fittings, when properly installed in
                          non industrial and non marine applications and under normal conditions of use, will be free of failure from manufacturing defect
                          for a period of fifty (50) years from date of installation and that its PROPRESS valves, when properly installed in non industrial
                          and non marine applications and under normal conditions of use, will be free of failure from manufacturing defect for a period of
                          two (2) years from date of installation.
                          Last edited by TheMaster; 08-19-2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

So the cordless tools don't press as tight or they just feel weaker?

I am starting to hate cordless anything
                            They do just as good a job, they just feel weaker. Like it's taking them longer to make the press.
                            Go rent one of each and you'll know what I am talking about.

But that is a silly reason to not buy one, as it's just a prefrence thing to me. I used to own a cordless sawzall, but got me one of them small Ridgid fuego whatever ones thats about a foot long, corded and was one of the best purchases I made in a long time. Sure it has a cord, but you can use it with 1 hand and the batteries never die. And it's pretty powerful. But, I still use a cordeless drill.

Comment

I see I read part of it wrong......The valves have a 2 year warranty. The propress stainless system cant be installed in marine applications from what I'm reading unless you use the seapress system but thats not for stainless pipe......so I gues thats why they cant use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X