X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler Niedecken Faucet

For the first time in my career, I had to replace the guts inside a Kohler Niedecken shower faucet that we ordered in today. Never saw this faucet before, so I do have a question.

I couldn't figure out what the little screw driver head/ nut was inside (behind the face plate), but I had to tighten it cause it dripped when I first turned it back on. If I turned the outside of it too much, I couldn't get the handle to move all the way around to the other side. What's the screw driver slot for on the inside of that nut?

I have to go back because they never sent the escutcheon, so if I have to make an adjustment I will.

I don't even know how old this faucet is, but I have to say, I like this faucet design 100 times better than the new Kohler shower valves of today.

I found a photo online of what I'm talking about.
    Attached Files

Re: Kohler Niedecken Faucet

I was told that it is a temp limit stop. I usually take the nut off and grease the threads on that and on the stem for the packing. Don't you just love the cost to rebuild it? Around here it is about $300 for all of the parts. The nice thing about the Niedecken valves is that once they are rebuilt they will last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
      I was told that it is a temp limit stop. I usually take the nut off and grease the threads on that and on the stem for the packing. Don't you just love the cost to rebuild it? Around here it is about $300 for all of the parts. The nice thing about the Niedecken valves is that once they are rebuilt they will last a long time.
      $300.00 sounds about right. I'll grease it when I go back, cause the old one we took off wouldn't even budge.

These valves are built like tanks IMO...I was impressed.

Comment

I see them quite regularly around here. Only problem is that they cost a small fortune to repair.

Comment

Originally posted by flux View Post
          $300.00 sounds about right. I'll grease it when i go back, cause the old one we took off wouldn't even budge.

These valves are built like tanks imo...i was impressed.
          $300 for that lil piece of crap ? I can buy a good used 6 cyl engine for that !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            $300 for that lil piece of crap ? I can buy a good used 6 cyl engine for that !
            No, that's just the front piece, as there is a yoke and plunger that goes with this.

Comment

Niedecken was ahead of it's time. I still see quite a few. They definitely do not make them like that anymore, anywhere

Comment

should be the limit stop based on how far you screw it in limits the travel of the valve.

fortunately i don't see them out here.

how about the 1980's american standard with a solar cell and digital temp readout in the handle button. big bucks for a replacement readout.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

We have them here but i normaly use a kit that has the new seats ,rubber washers, and the packings
                  Never had to replace a yoke on one , ends up about 50 bucks in parts

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    I don't even know how old this faucet is, but I have to say, I like this faucet design 100 times better than the new Kohler shower valves of today.

I found a photo online of what I'm talking about.
                    I replaced both parts for $200 because the old one was too stiff to shut off without beating on it.
                    But I generally agree with the Hardware store guy...."If it ain't actually broke, don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                    X