X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drum Traps

SOOOOO why is a drum trap so horrible and a P trap is so great? Yes cast Iron drum traps are bad but that is because of the material. Any trap with an access makes sence to me. Although I see a lot of drum traps that can not be gotten to.

Personaly I think P traps under cement aren't to smart.

Just because it is code or how we have done something all our careers does not mean it is the best way to do something. The opposite also applies.

Some easily accessed drum traps with c.o.covers easily removed were nice to augure.

Comment

P-traps are self scouring, drum traps aren't.

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
      SOOOOO why is a drum trap so horrible and a P trap is so great?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I can snake through a p-trap. I can't snake through a drum trap unless I want to destroy my cable and possibly not even get it out. They are now illegal in Minnesota.
        The CI drum traps from the 50's are still in great condition except for the threads where the cap goes in. It's the metal caps that fall apart and end up with holes.

Comment

Thankfully I have never encountered one..Like most I would be ripping it all out..Kinda like when someone buys a high end pedestal etc. and they want you to install that piece of crap european trap..I tell em'..Nope they are illegal sorry ..Why , because they are a drum type trap and not accepted here ..
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
            I can snake through a p-trap. I can't snake through a drum trap unless I want to destroy my cable and possibly not even get it out. They are now illegal in Minnesota.
            The CI drum traps from the 50's are still in great condition except for the threads where the cap goes in. It's the metal caps that fall apart and end up with holes.
            What I like about drum traps is if the cap comes off you get a nice place to augure through. I don't look at them as the work of the devil.

Now 3 or 4 inch corroded metal threads, that is the work of the devil.

I think drum traps are fine if the cap can be removed and it is accessable. other wise they are just one step below cast iron traps or homemade I.P. traps.

I think people may be confused about illegal. Illegal means you can't install one it does not mean one has to be removed because the line is stopped up.
            Last edited by saysflushable; 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Nothing more fun than winding your 5/8 cable up inside a freeking drum trap that's burried under the floor. Great fun.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X