X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Traps

Anyone replace these? Almost every basement around here has or had one for a bathtub trap and they are rotting out. I cut them out with the sawzall replacing as much drain as I can that's exposed replacing it with a pvc trap and pipe. I get one or two of these a week.
    Most of the time they come off the tub waste and overflow but sometimes being over 50 years old I end up replacing the W/O too.

Also make sure you check the inside of the drum traps, treasures can be found inside.

This isn't one of my pictures but it's a good picture of a 1950's drum trap under a bathtub.

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Plumbing-...-Trap-Vent.jpg

Re: Drum Traps

Isn't it upside down?

J.C.

Comment

Instead of putting that PVC cap on there, I would have just cut it all out and replaced it. what a waste of a pvc cap.
      Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Isn't it upside down?

J.C.
        Most all of them I see are installed that way with the clean out on the down side. That's why I liked that picture, it's exactly what we have around here. Must have been the same plumbing company doing all of them. The homes that have them were built from around 1952 to 59, originally they have cheap metal caps that rot out.

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc. View Post
          Instead of putting that PVC cap on there, I would have just cut it all out and replaced it. what a waste of a pvc cap.
          LOL I had the same feeling when I saw that picture. Also the galvy water lines, just want at them!!!

Comment

We still have a ton of drum traps around here.

Comment

Drum traps were required on all lavs installed in Maine up till about 10 years ago, so yes, we see a whole lot of them.
              sigpic

Comment

I was curious because we have them everywhere here. When I was in No. Ca. I never saw one.

Comment

I bet I have close to a ton of lead drum traps stacked behind the shop.
                  sigpic

Comment

When I was in So Cal, never ran into one. Guess I will out here now and they will get replaced. I did see them in plenty of UPC code pctures under Illegal
                    Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc. View Post
                      When I was in So Cal, never ran into one. Guess I will out here now and they will get replaced. I did see them in plenty of UPC code pctures under Illegal

Yea they're illegal here in Mn now too. I've only seen them on tubs. One of my most favorite service calls to get. Sawzall, no hub band, pvc trap & pipe etc. I usually make my first cut on the tub side of the trap as to not disturb the W/O too much. Then most of the time I'll just turn out the 1 1/2" fine thread tail piece from the W/O and start new from there.

Comment

Drum traps are all over here
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

We have alot of drum traps here in older homes also. Just cut them out and replace. But thats the way I have seen them also with the cap down.

Comment

only time I see the cap pointing up is if they're set flush with the finished floor.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I just cut one out today that was cracked. The plugs can be up or down. They came in a zillion configurations (side inlet-side outlet, side inlet top outlet, side-bottom, etc.). If the drum trap ended up under a mud set tile floor, you're not going to put the clean out facing up....you're going to face it down into the basement. I see a lot of them. I cut them out when I can, sometimes rod them if they are buried in the wall or floor (more often use the Water Ram though).

Believe it or not Home Depot and Menard's sell CI and PVC drum traps......the PVC ones swivel 360 degrees, absolute garbage and they're made by NIBCO to boot!
                              see page 29:
                              http://www.nibco.com/assets/plasticfit.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X