X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woops ther's a gas line there !

Contractor bids concrete stairs and extensive landscape work. Grade at house gets dropped lower. They uncover an old copper gas line right in the way! No damage to it. Cont.never called U.S.A.[ DIG ALERT].ahead of time .If He had ,the gas line relocate would have been in the budget. Gas co. wants it replaced for age and location now. Homeowners are floored with a $7500 bill! I think the Gen. Cont. should pay half. Am I wrong? thanks Toolaholic
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Woops ther's a gas line there !

This is the line from the middle of the street to the meter. Street had to be excavated. These old copper lines are all being replaced in the Bay area at the expense of the Gas Co.Bad timing for the customer!
    Not scheduled at this time.Freebe for the Gas co. and they know it !!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I know your in Cal . But Dam thats high
      Have the contractor offer to open a new trench for the gas co

Comment

The relocate is all done. The bill is a huge shock to some trusting folks. Total bill is from the G.C. I think Gas co is $3000or $3500

Comment

Up until about 10-12 years ago, here in Pennsylvania the gas company use to run the gas line and set the meter for free, the only stipulation was, you had 6 months to hook up a gas appliance. It's no longer that way, and the prices I'm hearing for gas lines ran from the street to the house is around $2,500.00 give or take.

First off, i think someone dropped the ball by not calling to have the utilities marked. But if this was my job, I think I would of offered to dig the trench for the gas company for free, since a mistake was made.

Comment

While it was his bad he didn't call for locates, not his fault the gas line was there. It would have had to been moved either way. They should be thankful nothing bad happened.

Comment

I agree with themaster crazy they want the customer to pay for there piping so they can provide a service. Have them cut it loose.

Comment

I would tell them to stuff there gas line and get a 500 gallon propane tank dropped. And shame on the excavator for not calling Dig Safe IT IS THE LAW!!!!!!!

Comment

I think its the GC just trying to come up on extra money from people that shouldnt trust him so much. Its the GC's job to see if the gas company would have done it for free, or to properly mark the lines in his work area. I feel bad for the people. Sounds like the general went in half cockeed and the as usual the customer is getting screwed. he probably marked it up thousands of $$ also. Gas company is always willing to work with their customer because they know the customer will be using their gas. I think the customer needs to call the gas co themselves.
                  Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

I see it's mandatory in Southern Ca., to call USA before You dig. How about Northern Ca.?? I always call,It's free, and a no brainer. I believe My Liability Insurance wouldn't help Me if I caused damage to utility's and didn't call.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      I see it's mandatory in Southern Ca., to call USA before You dig. How about Northern Ca.?? I always call,It's free, and a no brainer. I believe My Liability Insurance wouldn't help Me if I caused damage to utility's and didn't call.

I agree. One other thought, this guy being a landscape contractor and all, you would think he already knows about gas and water lines running through the front yard. Its most common!

I always do things with my liability insurance company in my mind, they are there to protect you, but you are also there to protect them!
                      Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Did the old gas line cross under an existing foundation or was the discovery completely due to the lowering of grade outside the footprint of the building?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                          Did the old gas line cross under an existing foundation or was the discovery completely due to the lowering of grade outside the footprint of the building?
                          This is an hour away, in an area I'll never see.From what She said It was under where a new stair footing was being hand dug.

Comment

Working...
                          X