X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig's List Ad

If this doesn't fire any of you guys up, I'm gonna go around and start checking pulses.
    Check out this little gem I found on CL just now...

I have several residential properties (near Temple Univ, I-76, Philly Zoo, etc) that need plumbing
    work but we'll start with 1 property at a time. I'm looking for a super experienced, honest & motivated
    plumber who is very affordable and isn't afraid to roll up his sleeves. A well-trained plumber who's
    able to plan & design the bathroom, shower, etc.. If u already have another job, that's okay b/c
    i'm willing to work around ur schedule. If u don't have a car, I can pick u up if necessary.

Understand that i'm an investor, not homeowner, so charging me the same rate as other homeowner
    is a huge turnoff. Payment is in cash; a lump sum payout for a big job or between
    $180 - $200 per 9-hr shift; obviously do NOT expect to get that rate if u work on a small job that takes just
    a few hrs. (the reason i had to let my ex-plumber go).

Job description:
    - jusing a jackhammer to excavate the floor to construct new bathroom/toilet & washer/dryer. (As for
    digging or using the jackhammer, my homebuilders can always assist so don't worry).
    - connecting lines to Hot water tank/washer & dryer, bathtub, stand-up shower, etc
    - running water lines through the wall for stand-up shower
    - connecting water lines from 2nd fl bathroom down to 1st fl, from kitchen sink down to basement, etc
    - replacing all copper to PVC.
    - resolving plumbing problems and offering alternative solutions.

Reply to this ad and very BRIEFLY in ur OWN words tell me you've done in past jobs.. how motivated
    are u.. how EXPERIENCED are u.. what tools u already have in ur possession.. how soon can u start..
    and include ur cell fone #.
    (Give me a very nice deal so we can partner up on other properties but u must be very patient.)

Nothing like an "investor" throwing crumbs at a skilled Plumber while he walks away with the pot of gold in the end.

Now my question is...who here wants this job?

God I'm fired up!

Link ----->http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/trd/2517733758.html
    Last edited by Flux; 08-24-2011, 07:46 PM.

Re: Craig's List Ad

That's one fine example of the American free enterprise system. If you want the job go for it, if not, don't. I don't see anything wrong with that ad at all. Just what is the difference between in a skilled Investor and a skilled Plumber anyways? They're both professionals aren't they?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Reads to me like a $20,00 an hour handy man or apprentice job.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        That's one fine example of the American free enterprise system. If you want the job go for it, if not, don't. I don't see anything wrong with that ad at all. Just what is the difference between in a skilled Investor and a skilled Plumber anyways? They're both professionals aren't they?
        You're missing the point...This person would HAVE to be a Master Plumber who took this job...OR a Journeyman Plumber who is working under a Master Plumbers license. Which means, no Plumber worth his salt is going to take that type of job with a TON of liability for $20.00 an hour. Because if anything went wrong, is the Investor going to pick up the tab for the damage, or is he going to point the finger at the Plumber?

Secondly...A certificate of Insurance would have to be produced to the City of Philadelphia, along with a permit pulled on the Plumbing side. Not just anyone in this state can take this job...they would HAVE to HAVE a License through the City of Philadelphia to even take this job. A Journeyman Plumber can't pull a permit for this job, as he is not licensed to do so.

So that brings us back to the beginning..What Master Plumber do you know that would take this job for $20.00 an hour?

Comment

Consider where you found the ad. What fires me up, is when the so called professional advertises on CL with cut rate prices. Again, consider the source.

Comment

Originally posted by NH Plumber View Post
            Consider where you found the ad. What fires me up, is when the so called professional advertises on CL with cut rate prices. Again, consider the source.
            What fires me up is, this Investor probably ran through 20 legitimate licensed Plumbers, and is now taking his case to Craigs list to find someone who will cheat the system for $20.00 an hour.

In the State of Pennsylvania you have to have a contractors License to perform any type of work, which means you have to provide "Proof" of insurance. In the city of Philadelphia, they have other types of licenses you need a long with a Plumbing license. If someone has ALL that squared away...$20.00 an hour is a good wage for a Master Plumber who's in his own business? That's not even close to Union Plumber wages, but yet I have a feeling some idiot will attempt to take this job, and they should be horse whipped if they do.

Comment

I told him that I would take the job if he paid travel time from Minnesota and all expenses plus room and board and meals. Oh and the work would be flat rate at 1,500.00 a day. Do ya think I'll get the job?

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                I told him that I would take the job if he paid travel time from Minnesota and all expenses plus room and board and meals. Oh and the work would be flat rate at 1,500.00 a day. Do ya think I'll get the job?
                Don't think so..This guy / investor is looking for a "plumber" that is either unemployed / desperate or works for someone else and bootlegs..$20 is wayyy to cheap even for a bootlegger though ..I bet he will find his "plumber" though , no permits will be pulled and he will be picking him up at the local Home Depot and more than likely will not be able to speak english
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

So, why not call a local tv station, show them the ad, have them do some undercover work and bust'em? Have them work with you to be the undercover plumber so you sound legit, have them place a pocket cam on ya and play the game to see if he truly would hire a "unlicensed" plumber or one that is willing to fly under the radar for cash? Think if it, your face/company ends up on the news as the good guy trying to help clean out the "system" and you get "free" advertising. But, imagine all the licenced/unlicensed guys you are going to piss in their cheerios... you willing to take one for the team?

Comment

So far, all this guy has done is place an ad on craigslist. Even before he has done a single thing illegally you all have accused, tried and convicted him already. Jumping the gun a little bit here aren't we fellas?
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      Not a chance--he wouldn't know how to deal with a "raincher"! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        So far, all this guy has done is place an ad on craigslist. Even before he has done a single thing illegally you all have accused, tried and convicted him already. Jumping the gun a little bit here aren't we fellas?
                        Exactly my point... if you want to accuse someone of something, do the leg work and put an egg in the basket to prove it!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                          Exactly my point... if you want to accuse someone of something, do the leg work and put an egg in the basket to prove it!
                          If post #4 and #6 isn't proof enough, then obviously you don't understand how state laws work.

ONLY a licensed Master Plumber can pull this permit for the Plumbing..Not the investor..not a handy man, Not a journeyman Plumber, and certainly not a carpenter.

ONLY a person with certificate of insurance can perform work in this state and has to provide that as proof, as we have a license for that in our state. A Journeyman Plumber is not going to have a PA contractor's license, unless he pays for it himself, and also provides that he has business insurance.

Are you still with me?

Now who in their right mind is going to have all that, and do that job for $20.00 an hour? This investor is not looking for a Master Plumber, if he was. his comment about price wouldn't be in his ad, and I'm willing to bet you, that you won't find 1 Master Plumber on this forum who would do this job for $20.00 an hour.

There is absolutely nothing illegal that I know of with posting this particular ad...that's not where I take issue. I take issue that he's slumming around CL looking to prey on some idiot looking to make a meal money,so he doesn't have to pay a Professional (licensed) to do the job.

So, it's IMPOSSIBLE for anyone but a Master Plumber to be involved with this job. Do you understand? Now who is going to put their business insurance on the line for $20.00 an hour?

Comment

So he is a dirtbag trying to find a hungry guy.

I hope he does. I hope it feeds that guys family.

IF it affects you in any way, you will profit from repairing his work now, or in the future.

200 bucks for a days worth of work when your unemployment is running out? I don't have the time or energy to care about who is doing what on C-list. You aren't going to do anything about it. I am not going to do anything about it. And from what I can tell, we are both doing fine in spite of C-list plumbers scumming the occasional job here and there.

So call the media, report him to the proper officials or whoever you would, but if you're not gonna do anything, then sit down sir.
                            (I'd love to see a repost later where you did report him and he did get in trouble)

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                              So he is a dirtbag trying to find a hungry guy.

I hope he does. I hope it feeds that guys family.

IF it affects you in any way, you will profit from repairing his work now, or in the future.

200 bucks for a days worth of work when your unemployment is running out? I don't have the time or energy to care about who is doing what on C-list. You aren't going to do anything about it. I am not going to do anything about it. And from what I can tell, we are both doing fine in spite of C-list plumbers scumming the occasional job here and there.

So call the media, report him to the proper officials or whoever you would, but if you're not gonna do anything, then sit down sir.
                              (I'd love to see a repost later where you did report him and he did get in trouble)
                              Kind of hard to do something, if the investor won't return messages.

You should care about your trade, because that type of lazy attitude over the last 20 years, turned this once great trade into a mockery.

Comment

Working...
                              X